Author Topic: People hate this movie...  (Read 8644 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: People hate this movie...
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2007, 06:17:17 am »
Unfortunately it's not just the average Joes going to the movies who sometimes are dead wrong about BBM and who seem to hate the film. Somtimes the critics are just as far out in that particular mire.

Yes, it's the time of year of the movie critics' summaries of the best and worst of 2006. And since BBM was released in 2006 over here, it happens to feature on the regional paper's summary of "the indifferent movie year 2006". The paper's movie critic of long standing (unbelievable, but true!) gave BBM 3 out of 6 stars when it was originally released and started his review back then with a statement to the fact that in his opinion, "wasted lives were a poor reason to bore everyone to death."   >:(  (After that the review just went downhill.)  ::)

Anyway, he finds the need in his heart to mention BBM in his annual movie summary, and here's what he's got to say (as translated by yours truly):

"It's nearly a year since you saw BBM in the cinema and was seduced by the old-liberal recognition of gays as completely ordinary human beings. That was the most embarrassing thing you did in the cinema in 2006. Gays aren't hamsters. They're not here to be petted."

I'm so annoyed that this guy and his review(s) have been many a person's main source of opinion on BBM in this district. In addition to his opinion of the film as extremely boring, he keeps harping on the fact that the film was kicking in open doors and presenting gay issues as relevant when they by now in his opinion belong firmly in the past.   
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 06:55:29 am by Mikaela »

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2007, 12:49:37 pm »
I'm so annoyed that this guy and his review(s) have been many a person's main source of opinion on BBM in this district. In addition to his opinion of the film as extremely boring, he keeps harping on the fact that the film was kicking in open doors and presenting gay issues as relevant when they by now in his opinion belong firmly in the past.   

Well, you DO live in a more enlightened country than the US.  :-\ He didn't go through the last few elections in rural America.

When I read all the reviews last year, it struck me that a lot of people in more enlightened places didn't seem to get the movie because it was firmly rooted in a place and culture that was mostly known through caricatures. I don't know if that's true or not now -- a lot of urban folks and people who would otherwise see "cowboy" as an insult ("cowboy diplomacy") love the movie to death. But a lot of the articles in the media really raised my redneck hackles.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 09:12:47 am »
I hate this thread's title...

Good conversation though.