Author Topic: A Harmonica bet (Now that we have the DVD)  (Read 5693 times)

dmmb_Mandy

A Harmonica bet (Now that we have the DVD)
« on: April 04, 2006, 11:06:02 pm »
Now that most of us have the DVD, I want to settle a bet that Jenny (newyearsday) & I have made (actually, it's not much of a 'bet' since neither of us actually bet anything! lol).

Anyway, my argument is that I think Ennis says: "If I was lucky, that harmonica woulda broke in two" (The screenplay says "in two" but as we know, what's actually said is not exactly like the screenplay)

...& Jenny thinks it's: "...that harmonica woulda broke too"

What do y'all think? Has someone checked the subtitles for that part? I can't check the subtitles right now 'cause both of my TVs in my apartment are occupied at the moment.

;D :) :-*

EnnisDelMar

Re: A Harmonica bet (Now that we have the DVD)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 11:07:43 pm »
Broke in two
Broken too
all the same ;D

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 11:08:18 pm »
it's  "would've broke in two..."
Good timing... just got to that part
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 11:08:24 pm »
That is so funny that you're asking that b/c for the first time, today, I was wondering which was said as well!  I had always thought that he said it "would have broke too".  But the subtitles confirm Mandy's interpretation and upon review, I think he does say "in two".  Hope that helps!
   Cowboys do it better

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 11:09:16 pm »
YAY! *should have bet on something*

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 11:30:51 pm »
Dang it!!!! I hate losin'!! Okay, Mandy. We didn't bet, but if you PM me your address I'll send ya a little early gradgi-ation present.

Heh heh.

Jenny

p.s. i still say it's "broken too" cause harmonicas don't break in two very easily!!

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 11:38:05 pm »
See, you guys always come up with new interesting stuff! I always thought it was "broke too".
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 11:40:54 pm »
I learned a lot today by watchin it with the subtitles.....it was hard to understand Ennis in some scenes and it made it a hell of a lot easier....

Still confused as hell over that whole "I'm sorry.........s'alright" thing though...

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 11:43:36 pm »
I'll do that indeed, Jenny.  ;D

PS - I thought a lot about this actually. For him to say "broken too", the "too" implies that something else broke first? But what would have broken first - Jack when the horse threw him? *shrugs*

:-*

Chris (slayers): I still stand by "S'alright" three times, said by Jack. F*uck te subtitles, hehe  ;D

ruthlesslyunsentimental

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 06:20:30 pm »
I think the harmonica continues the Jack as Wind metaphor.  It's a wind instrument that only plays when someone blows wind into it.  Jack plays "He Was a Friend of Mine" a couple of times -- foreshadowing his own death.

I think Ennis' comment about the harmonica breaking in two is symbolic of Jack's death and the fact that he was broken in two... half of his ashes in Texas and half of them in Lightning Flat.

I'm new here so if this has been mentioned before...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 10:25:24 pm »
I think the harmonica continues the Jack as Wind metaphor.  It's a wind instrument that only plays when someone blows wind into it.  Jack plays "He Was a Friend of Mine" a couple of times -- foreshadowing his own death.

I think Ennis' comment about the harmonica breaking in two is symbolic of Jack's death and the fact that he was broken in two... half of his ashes in Texas and half of them in Lightning Flat.

I had never thought of that or seen it posted/discussed.  Thank you!  ;)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 10:33:15 pm »

Most excellent observation indeed!  I'm the resident advocate/ biggest fan of the Jack and the wind metaphor.  I've never heard anyone discuss the harmonica that way!  Awesome indeed.  Welcome to BetterMost.  Have a piece of cherry cake.  And you might like to post your cool idea in the Jack and the Wind thread!  I'm sure it would be much appreciated.
 :D

Well, around these parts the thread is actually called "I was supposed to control the weather-Jack and the Wind"  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1097.0
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 10:36:18 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 11:09:23 pm »

A very sharp observation indeed, ruthlesslyunsentimental. In the way that it's a teasing comment but also one about death, it kind of reminds me of the comment Ennis makes the night before the Lake Scene, when Jack is talking about how he's afaid he'll "get shot by Lureen or the husband each time [he] slips off to see her," and Ennis says, with a smile, "You probly deserve it," not realizing that Jack'll be gone forever sooner than Ennis realizes.

And I'll add a very warm welcome to you too! Hope you like it here and will come back and see us again (real soon, not just sometime).

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)

ruthlesslyunsentimental

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 01:44:08 am »
it kind of reminds me of the comment Ennis makes the night before the Lake Scene, when Jack is talking about how he's afaid he'll "get shot by Lureen or the husband each time [he] slips off to see her," and Ennis says, with a smile, "You probly deserve it," not realizing that Jack'll be gone forever sooner than Ennis realizes.

I agree.  It also reminds me of the river (reunion) scene when Ennis said he was glad Jack forgot to bring the harmonica.  There, they didn't need (or want?) the harmonica as a harbinger of Jack's death.  But Ennis sure threw one in with his story of Earl.      :'(

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 11:12:52 am »
Thanks for the observation, ru.  I LOVE the harmonica.

As to the bet:  I hear something different than either you, Mandy, or you, Jenny.  I hear, "Woulda broken too."

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 11:26:45 am »
That's actually what I hear too, Elle. "Broken too," not "broke in two." (I never corrected Mandy's first post about it though.)

Just the way his inflection is, it sounds like he's referring to something else happening that would have been lucky--first the horse (ME!)  being lucky to throw Jack, and then Ennis being lucky that the harmonica got broken, not just flattened.

Hmmm, we may have to call in Heath to answer this question! Enquiring minds want to know!