Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1041995 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1220 on: December 28, 2008, 07:11:53 pm »

There was another film this year that isn't in the "top five," or listed among the front-runners at all, and it's a profound consideration of the process of living and aging. That's Charlie Kaufman's "Synecdoche, New York." It will be viewed and valued decades from now. You mark my words.

(bolding mine).

L

Yes, I read Ebert's blog about Synecdoche, and then many pages of comments and his replies to the comments.  He fawned over it like it was his Citizen Kane.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1221 on: December 28, 2008, 07:16:25 pm »

Yes, I read Ebert's blog about Synecdoche, and then many pages of comments and his replies to the comments.  He fawned over it like it was his Citizen Kane.

::)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1222 on: December 28, 2008, 07:23:18 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/opinion/28sun3.html

Editorial Notebook
Klaatu Had Better Rent the Video

By BRENT STAPLES
Published: December 27, 2008

The remake of “The Day the Earth Stood Still”  is a sentimentalized take on the 1951 classic. The new version has its uses, so see it. Then rent the original and watch it late at night — the way bleary-eyed adolescents did when it could be seen only on grainy broadcasts in the wee hours of the morning.

I compared the two earlier this month, watching the vintage version for the first time in at least 25 years. I was reminded of how deeply it had insinuated itself into the DNA of popular culture. I also thought of Norma Desmond, the fallen movie idol in “Sunset Boulevard,”  who said of her spent career: “I am big. It’s the pictures that got small.”

Digital effects have revolutionized the monster, science-fiction and superhero genres, making the films larger than ever visually. But the same effects have whittled away at the acting space, making the movies smaller in the dramatic sense.

The minimalist — and altogether cool — effects in the 1951 film leave lots of room for the performers. Michael Rennie is aces as Klaatu, the brainy, handsome and thoroughly polite alien who threatens to eliminate every creature on the planet — kittens, puppies and cute little babies included — if earthlings become a danger to the galaxy.

Watching the movie as a middle-aged man, I saw what I lacked eyes to see as a 12-year-old. There is no shred of sentimentality in Rennie’s performance. He is a congenial exterminating angel, dropping round for tea to tell of horrors to come.

Rennie’s Klaatu is God-fearing, emotionally sophisticated, superior to but indistinguishable from the earthlings among whom he walks. That’s an open-minded characterization at the start of a decade dominated by red-baiting and fear of outlanders in general.

Keanu Reeves’s Klaatu is numbingly monotonic. He is emotionally underdeveloped, and suffers from a robotic flatness of affect. Instead, the scriptwriters gave him powers that are predictably demonstrated through pricey special effects that do not sustain dramatic momentum. With all this digital sleight of hand, the performers are reduced to the equivalent of bystanders at a fireworks show.

By making the new Klaatu emotionally naïve, the writers make him subject to earthling tears and cuddly puppy influences that would have cut no mustard with the Klaatu of old. This emotional vulnerability allows for a great deal of unjustified optimism about the human race’s ability to change its destructive behavior.

It is nearly impossible to recast a movie that is so deeply embedded in pop cultural understanding. The virtue of the new Klaatu is that he points us back to the original.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1223 on: December 28, 2008, 08:05:58 pm »
With all this digital sleight of hand, the performers are reduced to the equivalent of bystanders at a fireworks show.

Well, some people know how to make the most of being bystanders at a fireworks show.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1224 on: December 28, 2008, 08:38:36 pm »
'Michael Rennie is aces as Klaatu, the brainy, handsome and thoroughly polite alien who threatens to eliminate every creature on the planet — kittens, puppies and cute little babies included — if earthlings become a danger to the galaxy.

Watching the movie as a middle-aged man, I saw what I lacked eyes to see as a 12-year-old. There is no shred of sentimentality in Rennie’s performance. He is a congenial exterminating angel, dropping round for tea to tell of horrors to come..."

Very god-like.  He's the dispassionate outsider, knowing in his vast experience that sometimes you reap, but sometimes you have to cull.

Hmmm, wonder why the 50's showed a more adult attitude than our current version.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1225 on: December 28, 2008, 09:41:19 pm »
Hmmm, wonder why the 50's showed a more adult attitude than our current version.

My opinion? Because in many ways -- setting aside racism, sexism, homophobia, gray-flannel-suitism -- the '50s was a more adult era.

These days, we worship the young, whether children or young adults. Older people strive to appear more youthful, in appearance, behavior and cultural tastes. 21-year-olds are huge stars, full of wisdom and insight; 40-year-olds are washed up geezers, hopelessly clueless. The movies reflect these attitudes.

Well, some people know how to make the most of being bystanders at a fireworks show.

What a great screencap! Practically frameable.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1226 on: December 28, 2008, 10:31:17 pm »
So, I have been thinking about it and I think I can come up with my top five movies of the year. My purely subjective list, based only movies I have seen in the theater. I realize my list is minuscule compared to Oilgun but hey, it's my list:

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Milk
3. Australia
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
5. The Dark Knight

Some notes: I realize the Australia pick is controversial. But I actually saw that twice in the theater (yes, I liked it that much) and I am not sure I'll go see BB again. So Australia nudged it out.

I saw a number of 2007 movies in 2008 which I really liked, including:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
I'm Not There
In Bruges

All of them were excellent but I am uncomfortable adding them to my top five list. My 2007 but seen in 2008 list is presented in the order that I would rank them.

Other movies that I saw in the theater but didn't make the cut are: Deception, 21, Made of Honor, Mamma Mia!, and The Express.

Are others willing to share?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1227 on: December 28, 2008, 10:42:18 pm »
Leslie, of your 2008 list I've seen only Nos. 1 and 5, but I enjoyed both of those. As for 2007, I saw only In Bruges, but I loved that and, like Michael Clayton, wish I could watch it for the first time again. Four Months is in my Blockbuster queue, and I'm looking forward to it.

Let me go think if I saw anything else I'd put in my own top 5 or 10 list.

I will probably see all or most of the others on your list. I'm also looking forward to JCVD (thanks, oilgun!), The Wrestler, A Christmas Tale ... what else?

Slightly OT: Don't you sometimes wish you could search one particular person's posts in a single thread? In this case, I'd like to search my own posts, to jog my memory about what else I saw this year.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1228 on: December 28, 2008, 10:55:24 pm »
I will probably see all or most of the others on your list. I'm also looking forward to JCVD (thanks, oilgun!), The Wrestler, A Christmas Tale ... what else?

Oh! Doubt, Valkyre, and I've decided that if pressed I'll even see Marley and Me.

[/quote]

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1229 on: December 28, 2008, 11:05:44 pm »
Leslie, of your 2008 list I've seen only Nos. 1 and 5, but I enjoyed both of those. As for 2007, I saw only In Bruges, but I loved that and, like Michael Clayton, wish I could watch it for the first time again. Four Months is in my Blockbuster queue, and I'm looking forward to it.

Let me go think if I saw anything else I'd put in my own top 5 or 10 list.

Slightly OT: Don't you sometimes wish you could search one particular person's posts in a single thread? In this case, I'd like to search my own posts, to jog my memory about what else I saw this year.

I was just thinking that   :laugh:  as I was searching for my movie list that Leslie referred to. Couldn't find it... :(

Over xmas i watched, for the first time, KUNG FU PANDA which I found to be just ok, and LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD which was ridiculously OTT but fun as all hell.