Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1042011 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1380 on: February 23, 2009, 03:25:19 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/02/23/movies/awardsseason/0223-WINNERS_3.html

Heath Ledger was posthumously awarded the best supporting actor Oscar for his role in "The Dark Knight." 
Mr. Ledger's family -- Kim Ledger, left, Kate Ledger and Sally Bell -- accepted the award on his behalf.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1381 on: February 25, 2009, 03:23:49 pm »
I recommend Man on Wire, winner of the best documentary Oscar. I think it's out on DVD now. You may have seen the subject of the film, Philip Petit, bound on stage during the thank-yous, and exit, making a gold coin disappear.

http://www.documentary.org/content/walking-air-man-wire-presents-petits-terrific-tale
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1382 on: February 25, 2009, 03:27:50 pm »
I recommend Man on Wire, winner of the best documentary Oscar. I think it's out on DVD now. You may have seen the subject of the film, Philip Petit, bound on stage during the thank-yous, and exit, making a gold coin disappear.

http://www.documentary.org/content/walking-air-man-wire-presents-petits-terrific-tale

Yes, it is out on DVD.  As a Brokie bonus, it includes The Man Who Walked Betwen the Towers  narrated by our own Jake. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1383 on: February 25, 2009, 03:32:19 pm »
Yes, it is out on DVD.  As a Brokie bonus, it includes The Man Who Walked Betwen the Towers  narrated by our own Jake. 

No kidding! That is super-dooper!! (Segue to yet another movie/play we both like!!)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1384 on: February 25, 2009, 03:35:26 pm »
No kidding! That is super-dooper!! (Segue to yet another movie/play we both like!!)

I'd put on the Ritz for you any day, Friend. 

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1385 on: February 25, 2009, 03:52:23 pm »

THE READER - I loved it!  A movie you can really sink your teeth into.  I was in tears for half of it thanks to the wonderful performances by everyone involved. 
I wasn't sure whether to put it on my 'sooner' or 'later' list.  The clips they have showed on the Oscars look really good.

So many have given the Reader very high marks, but I had mixed emotions. Too many times when suspensions of disbelief were required for a top-level film. Also, it totally (like Milk) avoided the big elephant in the room--child sexual abuse by an adult.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1386 on: February 25, 2009, 04:08:29 pm »

So many have given the Reader very high marks, but I had mixed emotions. Too many times when suspensions of disbelief were required for a top-level film. Also, it totally (like Milk) avoided the big elephant in the room--child sexual abuse by an adult.

Wait -- when did that happen in Milk?

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1387 on: February 25, 2009, 05:16:30 pm »

I was wondering when that would come up.  "Not only was she a Nazi but she was also a sexual predator who preyed on poor innocent CHILDREN!!"  ::)

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #1388 on: February 25, 2009, 07:54:13 pm »
right. And no mention of that 'minor point' during the film's quite positive reviews by most critics and audiences.

Nor was the obvious craving for teen boys by Milk ever noted as an issue for the film (or his real life predator activities).

Had either film used a teen girl as the object of such abuse, a totally different dialog would have emerged months ago.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1389 on: February 25, 2009, 08:22:16 pm »
Now I don't feel the same hilarity I did about posting this, but I will anyway.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH2nQHPs4aA[/youtube]

Quick - which one of these actors acted with Heath?