Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1042094 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1500 on: December 19, 2009, 12:09:13 am »
Maybe this belongs in the "Things Faintly Brokish" thread. I heard today about a movie called "Did you hear about the Morgans". Apparently a couple is relocated under the Witness Protection Program from Manhattan to a small town in Wyoming called Ray. Dig this: the names of the couple are Meryl and Paul!!  ;D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1501 on: December 19, 2009, 12:23:15 am »
Maybe this belongs in the "Things Faintly Brokish" thread. I heard today about a movie called "Did you hear about the Morgans". Apparently a couple is relocated under the Witness Protection Program from Manhattan to a small town in Wyoming called Ray. Dig this: the names of the couple are Meryl and Paul!!  ;D

One of my happiest Brokie memories is sitting in the backseat in Alberta, while Meryl and Paul in the front kept me joyfully entertained. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1502 on: December 19, 2009, 12:59:36 am »

Sounds like some filmmakers have been spending time Chez Tremblay!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1503 on: December 19, 2009, 08:42:00 am »

My ears perked up when i found out they went to Wyoming but unfortunately the film is supposed to be a one-star dud of a film.  One of those if-you-saw-the-trailer-skip-the-film things. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1504 on: December 19, 2009, 11:11:54 am »
I still don't think I can resist peeking at Hugh in a cowboy hat!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1505 on: December 19, 2009, 11:38:37 am »
Maybe this belongs in the "Things Faintly Brokish" thread. I heard today about a movie called "Did you hear about the Morgans". Apparently a couple is relocated under the Witness Protection Program from Manhattan to a small town in Wyoming called Ray. Dig this: the names of the couple are Meryl and Paul!!  ;D

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

That's about the closest I'll ever come to being compared to Sarah Jessica Parker.  ;D

Now if our Paul ever wants to share a house with me in Wyoming, you bet I'll go for it.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1506 on: December 19, 2009, 11:48:14 am »
:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

That's about the closest I'll ever come to being compared to Sarah Jessica Parker.  ;D

Now if our Paul ever wants to share a house with me in Wyoming, you bet I'll go for it.  8)

Ditto re me and Hugh Grant! 

As long as we don't have to witness a murder, I'm all for it, Meryl!

(BTW, poor Wyoming--looks like it was filmed in New Mexico.)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1507 on: December 19, 2009, 11:58:13 am »
As long as we don't have to witness a murder, I'm all for it, Meryl!

OK, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a nice chalet in the Tetons.  ;)

I saw two screenings this week:  "Nine" and "It's Complicated."  Both were very good, but I won't review them now since they haven't opened yet.  It's so nice to finally have some good movies to see over the holidays.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1508 on: December 19, 2009, 12:15:55 pm »

My ears perked up when i found out they went to Wyoming but unfortunately the film is supposed to be a one-star dud of a film.  One of those if-you-saw-the-trailer-skip-the-film things. 

Judging from this review by a Salon writer, I'll take the REAL Paul and Meryl any day.

"Did You Hear About the Morgans" stinking?
This Hugh Grant-Sarah Jessica Parker debacle is so unfunny it's offensive
By Mary Elizabeth Williams

The most entertaining moment of "Did You Hear About the Morgans?" came halfway through the press screening, during yet another scene of middle-aged bickering. Hugh Grant, one-half of a recently separated New York power couple, sputters an excuse for his infidelity to his estranged wife. "I'm not perfect," he says. "I'm human. I made a mistake." At which point the woman next to me cracked, "That's what Tiger said!"

Unfortunately, not everyone will be so fortunate in their random seat mates. So in case you're still on the fence about this shambling wreck of a romantic comedy (which is neither romantic nor comic), let me help by saying that you have already seen this movie. You may have seen it on the Hallmark channel, or Lifetime, or an old episode of "Who's the Boss?" Although, to be fair, "Who's the Boss?" had better writing.

(continues ... http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/did_you_hear_about_the_morgans/index.html?story=/ent/movies/review/2009/12/17/did_you_hear_about_the_morgans_sucking)

BTW, it's funny that the URL says "sucking" but the headline says "stinking." Maybe they feared the former could open up the possibility of misunderstandings or double entendres?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1509 on: December 19, 2009, 12:33:07 pm »
Update to above: Now that I've read the rest of that (scathing!) review, there do seem to be a few suspiciously Brokieish aspects to Did You Hear About the Morgans?:

Let's see if you too can be a Hollywood writer. What will happen when this duo -- one who's infertile and one who's unfaithful -- are thrown together again one starry night? Should there be a scene in which someone runs away from a bear? Attempts to chop wood? Dances in a cowboy hat? Will those fussy Gothamites bitch about how it's too "quiet" to sleep and the air is "too clean"? Will a vegetarian be served a plate of sausages? When someone mentions that it's a good thing the Morgans will be in town for the rodeo, will there be a scene involving an assassin, a bull and clowns? Congratulations, here's $50 million. Go fuck something up.

Can a movie that's just opened and reportedly terrible achieve Brokieish status?