Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025398 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1630 on: February 23, 2010, 10:39:12 pm »
I saw "Avatar" in 3-D while I was on the road and really enjoyed it.  Despite a plot drawn from just about every sci-fi, action, western and fantasy film you've ever seen, I was drawn in emotionally, felt real suspense, and was of course amazed at the beauty and creativity of Pandora and its creatures.  Tomorrow I'm going to see it in IMAX 3-D to complete the experience.  8)

Today I saw a screening of "Shutter Island."  I was reluctant to go to what I've seen advertised as a spooky kind of thriller, but since Scorsese directed it, I went along.  Despite the creepy location, a hospital for the criminally insane, and a fair amount of gore and corpses, I found it more of a cerebral exercise than a thrill ride.  There were lots of good actors, including Leo DiCaprio, Michelle Williams, Ben Kingsley and Max Von Sydow, but in the end I think it's more for fans of mystery novels and Hitchcock movies than anyone.  There were lots of plot holes, and the film has the too-perfect look that can make period movies seem fake.  I'd give it a seven out of ten.

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1631 on: February 24, 2010, 04:47:15 pm »
... Tomorrow I'm going to see it in IMAX 3-D to complete the experience.  8)

Hey Meryl,
You'll love it.   8)

ETA:

You mentioned being amazed by the beauty of Pandora ...
If you wish to embrace your inner nerd lol, check out this Avatar Wiki site that includes details about the planet as well as the flora and fauna.
I found it quite interesting to read.

Today I saw a screening of "Shutter Island."  I was reluctant to go to what I've seen advertised as a spooky kind of thriller, but since Scorsese directed it, I went along.  Despite the creepy location, a hospital for the criminally insane, and a fair amount of gore and corpses, I found it more of a cerebral exercise than a thrill ride.  There were lots of good actors, including Leo DiCaprio, Michelle Williams, Ben Kingsley and Max Von Sydow, but in the end I think it's more for fans of mystery novels and Hitchcock movies than anyone....

I've been thinking about checking out Shutter Island as well.  I love period movies and I'm a huge fan of mystery novels/films so I figured I'd like it.  Thing is - it looked really creepy and slightly nightmare-inducing.  I can't handle scary movies because images tend to stay in my mind and haunt me for days, lol.  So I'll have to see if I can go watch this one.

Another period piece I will most likely go see - Wolfman .
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:04:24 pm by Lumière »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1632 on: February 25, 2010, 12:29:14 am »
Hey Meryl,
You'll love it.   8)

ETA:

You mentioned being amazed by the beauty of Pandora ...
If you wish to embrace your inner nerd lol, check out this Avatar Wiki site that includes details about the planet as well as the flora and fauna.
I found it quite interesting to read.

I did love the IMAX version, Milli!  Especially the aerial sequences.  Wow!  :P  And thanks for the link.  8)

I've been thinking about checking out Shutter Island as well.  I love period movies and I'm a huge fan of mystery novels/films so I figured I'd like it.  Thing is - it looked really creepy and slightly nightmare-inducing.  I can't handle scary movies because images tend to stay in my mind and haunt me for days, lol.  So I'll have to see if I can go watch this one.

I worried about being haunted by it, too, but somehow I haven't been.  The imagery was harrowing, but somehow I didn't feel engaged emotionally FWIW.

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1633 on: February 28, 2010, 02:36:52 am »
Saw Shutter Island tonight. A bit too long, but reasonably engaging. Leonardo Di Caprio was pretty good, and as always I liked Mark Ruffalo.

But you know, Leo could do better. Only one of Leo's best films was directed by Martin Scorcese (The Departed). Several others (The Aviator, Gangs of New York) were only so-so. I'm not sure they're as great for each other as they both seem to think. It would be interesting to see Leo in a movie by someone more kind of out there: Wes Anderson, Spike Jonze, Stephen Soderbergh ...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1634 on: March 13, 2010, 10:16:18 pm »
A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever

I think Lee recently mentioned Bright Star, the Jane Campion film about Keats.  

Ben Whishaw (who starred with Heath in I'm Not There) redeems himself from his awful turn as Sebastian in Brideshead Revisited to star as John Keats in this small, lovely film.  

Abbie Cornish (in Candy with Heath) costars as Fanny Brawne, and completely disappears into the role.

It's a slow, sincere period piece.  Keats cannot marry his beloved because of his station in life.  They are victims of the early 19th century.

Makes one want to read (or re-read) Endymion, Ode on a Grecian Urn, La Belle Dame Sans Merci and the titular Bright Star.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1635 on: March 13, 2010, 10:49:53 pm »
Well paul, I loved him as Sebastian! >:(

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1636 on: March 14, 2010, 12:31:11 am »
Well paul, I loved him as Sebastian! >:(

I know, Gil, and we will always disagree on that one. 

Have you seen Bright Star?  And, what do you think? 

Also, I recently saw Paris, je t'aime (and the companion New York, I Love You).  My head is still spinning, but couldn't help but notice your Gaspard Ulliel.  And so much Natalie Portman.  In both.  I love the 5-minute genre!

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1637 on: March 14, 2010, 03:02:29 pm »
I happpened to see Shutter Island over the weekend too - I loved it, very atmospheric and hauntingly beautiful.   Everyone is great in it, but I thought Ben Kingsley and Michelle were wonderful.   One of the best soundtracks I have ever heard as well.

I have to admit, I am an Avatar fan too.   I thought Neytiri was a very strong character.  Dances with Wolves is just about my favorite movie of all time, which Avatar does remind me of, and the concept of an outsider rejecting everything they had been taught and adopting their cultures is the highest of compliments IMO.   Our Native American cultures in the Americas are some of the most beautiful in all the world, deserving of the highest respect.   Brokeback is right up there with my favorite films of all time.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 06:48:41 pm by marina »
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1638 on: March 14, 2010, 04:51:12 pm »
I have to admit, I am an Avatar fan too.   ...  Brokeback is right up there with my favorite films of all time.

Brokeback, Avatar, or both??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1639 on: March 14, 2010, 06:47:03 pm »
Hi FrontRanger,

Sorry, Brokeback is right up there with my favorite movies of all time, I meant to say.   I loved Avatar, but time will tell if it gets on my favorites of all time list.  :)

Happy Vernal Equinox to you as well, btw.
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love