Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1039326 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1640 on: March 14, 2010, 07:44:00 pm »
Thanks for clarifying, Marina!! Happy VE Day, when it arrives next weekend!!

Say, did you know there is a character named Marina in one of my all-time favourite films? It is a little known film called Local Hero, and Marina is a Scottish marine biologist with a very mysterious air about her...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1641 on: March 14, 2010, 07:46:43 pm »
A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever

I think Lee recently mentioned Bright Star, the Jane Campion film about Keats.  

Ben Whishaw (who starred with Heath in I'm Not There) redeems himself from his awful turn as Sebastian in Brideshead Revisited to star as John Keats in this small, lovely film.  

Abbie Cornish (in Candy with Heath) costars as Fanny Brawne, and completely disappears into the role.

It's a slow, sincere period piece.  Keats cannot marry his beloved because of his station in life.  They are victims of the early 19th century.

Makes one want to read (or re-read) Endymion, Ode on a Grecian Urn, La Belle Dame Sans Merci and the titular Bright Star.

Thanks for reminding me of this lovely film, friend!! Two things I really liked about this film were the poetry (of course) and the way that Fanny's sister (sometimes) and brother (always) were charged with going behind her wherever Fanny went to protect her propriety!!

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1642 on: March 14, 2010, 08:08:36 pm »
Say, did you know there is a character named Marina in one of my all-time favourite films? It is a little known film called Local Hero, and Marina is a Scottish marine biologist with a very mysterious air about her...

Ohmygosh, no I didn't realize that!   Although the name of the film does sound vaguely familiar - who knows?   It could be stored in some dusty corner of my brain.   I sometimes write stuff and don't realize things like that until after I've written it!  :)   It's also my aunt's middle name and I have always loved it.

I did see Bright Star too - a beautiful film.   Jane Campion's The Piano is one of my all-time faves.  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1643 on: March 15, 2010, 03:15:59 pm »
Thanks for clarifying, Marina!! Happy VE Day, when it arrives next weekend!!

I loved Local Hero !!!

A wonderful film, and with some great humour too!

I saw it two, or maybe even three times, which is a lot in my cinematic history.  ;D

Must be at least 25 years ago.....

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #1644 on: March 15, 2010, 06:34:13 pm »
I would love to see Bright star. I was a huge fan of Piano, so I don´t think it can't be bad. Even if this is a total different story I just love the way Jane Champion works with the surroundings to tell the story. Something I assume she also has succeed very well with Bright star!

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1645 on: March 15, 2010, 08:57:57 pm »
She does - Bright Star, at least to me, is a much different story than the Piano.    It's more of a story of unfulfilled love, love as a romantic ideal.   I don't want to spoil it for you, but there's a symbol throughout that meant to me something brief and ephemeral.

The Piano was so different - earthy, passionate and one of the most erotic films I have ever seen - the soundtrack was breathtaking too.   As well as themes of womanhood, from a time where women were treated like chattel and didn't have a "voice", there was a theme to me of the clash of the wild and natural vs. the civilized and subdued of the environment as well as humankind, which is a theme I love to explore as well.   I was really affected by it; it's one of my favorite films ever.  I love Harvey Keitel's Maori tattoos.  :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:18:13 am by marina »
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1646 on: March 19, 2010, 10:51:18 am »
I think Gerard Butler should consider getting another agent.  :o

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1647 on: March 19, 2010, 10:55:21 am »
I think Gerard Butler should consider getting another agent.  :o

I have one of his movies, called PS I Love You. He gets killed off in the very beginning! And now this Bounty Hunter thing. I've seen the trailer so often, I feel like I've seen the movie. So, yes, I agree with you. But he has gotten a lot of airtime for someone so ordinary.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1648 on: March 20, 2010, 12:43:04 am »
I have one of his movies, called PS I Love You. He gets killed off in the very beginning! And now this Bounty Hunter thing. I've seen the trailer so often, I feel like I've seen the movie. So, yes, I agree with you. But he has gotten a lot of airtime for someone so ordinary.

His choices have been abysmal lately.  He was great in DEAR FRANKIE, the film that made him famous, and I remember him from HARRISON'S FLOWERS.  I  liked him in BEOWULF AND GRENDEL which although not a great film, at least it was an interesting role.  I can forgive him 300 and I haven't seen ROCK AND ROLLA but it seems all he's doing is disposable crap.  Oh well, I suppose his bank account is his first priority.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1649 on: March 20, 2010, 12:53:48 am »
I know, Gil, and we will always disagree on that one. 

Have you seen Bright Star?  And, what do you think? 

Also, I recently saw Paris, je t'aime (and the companion New York, I Love You).  My head is still spinning, but couldn't help but notice your Gaspard Ulliel.  And so much Natalie Portman.  In both.  I love the 5-minute genre!

I just started watching BRIGHT STAR and so far so good, I'm quite enjoying it.  I think Ben is absolutely delightful as Keats.  But then, I would love him in anything, I think.  he has a quality, maybe a vulnerability, that I just love, I've been smitten ever since seeing him in PERFUME.  I also love ABBIE CORNISH, I think she's a wonderful actor.