Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1036246 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1710 on: November 29, 2010, 06:06:09 pm »
I thought it was a hysterical reference/homage to the "tidying up the nursery" sequence in Mary Poppins.  ;D

It made me think of the sewing scene in "Cinderella".  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1711 on: November 29, 2010, 07:45:37 pm »

It was probably supposed to evoke that, too.  :)

All in all, I think it's a very clever movie.  :)

And did I mention that James Marsden doesn't look too bad in those tights and riding boots, either?  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1712 on: November 29, 2010, 07:54:15 pm »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1713 on: November 29, 2010, 08:14:45 pm »
I thought it was a hysterical reference/homage to the "tidying up the nursery" sequence in Mary Poppins.  ;D

That's funny! It made me think of a scene in Snow White where she gets help with the housework from woodland creatures.  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1714 on: November 29, 2010, 10:30:09 pm »
That's funny! It made me think of a scene in Snow White where she gets help with the housework from woodland creatures.  ;D

That's probably the direct reference, especially when you consider that Susan Sarandon looks like the evil queen in Snow White, then later she looks like the witch in Snow White, and Giselle falls asleep when she eats a poisoned apple, like in Snow White.

I'm just more familiar with Mary Poppins.  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1715 on: November 29, 2010, 10:31:53 pm »

As they used to say, "Hubba-hubba."  ;D

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1716 on: November 29, 2010, 11:45:10 pm »

Oh yeah, that too!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1717 on: December 04, 2010, 06:45:42 pm »
INCENDIES is Canada's submission for the Foreign Language Film Oscar and I'll be surprised if it doesn't make the short list.  It's an astonishing film that packs an emotional wallop.  In fact, it's my favourite film of the year, so far.  If you guys have a chance to see it, don't miss it.  Like I love saying: run, don't walk, to see this, you won't regret it.   :D

To encounter a film of heart-wrenching tragedy, mythic proportions and sweeping visual majesty is rare, but such are the riches of Denis Villeneuve’s Incendies. After last year’s multiple Genie Award-winning Polytechnique, Villeneuve continues his acute examination of women in devastating situations facing complex and harrowing circumstances.

At the reading of their mother Nawal’s will, twin siblings Simon (Maxim Gaudette) and Jeanne (Mélissa Désormeaux-Poulin) learn for the first time that they have a brother, and that their father, whom they thought was dead, is in fact alive. Among their mother’s various unsettling requests is her final wish that the twins find both brother and father and deliver to them certain sealed letters. Nawal (Lubna Azabal) was a mystery to her children and their relationship is a difficult one. Simon is angry and resistant, but Jeanne feels compelled to respect her mother’s requests.

As a young woman, Nawal fell pregnant out of wedlock in her Middle-Eastern homeland. After narrowly escaping an honour killing, she was forced to give up her baby boy, vowing one day to find him. Shifting back and forth in time, Incendies follows two parallel journeys, expertly interwoven: the twins’ journey to find their brother and father in their mother’s homeland, and Nawal’s journey to find her son. Both journeys shine a disturbing light on Nawal’s past and culminate in a shocking final revelation.

Villeneuve masterfully adapts the acclaimed play by Wajdi Mouawad, while André Turpin’s arresting cinematography captures the arid landscape of the Middle-East, seamlessly shifting between shadowy corners and stark, bright daylight. Azabal is riveting as Nawal, while Désormeaux-Poulin and Gaudette deliver equally strong performances as the twins. Moving, visceral and epic, Incendies shows Villeneuve reaching ever greater heights as he probes characters that must face obstacles with extraordinary resilience and love. –TIFF

http://mubi.com/films/33111

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1718 on: December 05, 2010, 01:00:13 pm »
I just found out that the National Board of Review included INCENDIES in their Top Five Foreign Films 2010 along with I AM LOVE, LIFE ABOVE ALL, SOUL KITCHEN & WHITE MATERIAL

http://www.nbrmp.org/awards/

INCENDIES trailer:
[youtube=425,350]
[/youtube]

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1719 on: December 08, 2010, 05:36:25 pm »
James Franco, James Franco, James Franco

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J2UZZ45BqU[/youtube]