Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1037577 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1750 on: March 25, 2011, 12:30:40 pm »
Anybody planning to see Jane Eyre this weekend? How about Mildred Pierce on HBO?

A local critic, who likes Jane Eyre, says this:

A seven-word review: Very good performances. Much too much weather.

;D

She also says it's the 27th screen adaptation of the story, provided you don't count I Walked with a Zombie. I guess if you do count IWWAZ, then it's the 28th.  ;D

Dame Judi Dench plays the housekeeper!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #1751 on: April 30, 2011, 12:59:12 pm »
Normally I never watch french movies. I think they are bit dull. But this comedy is just hilarious and funny straight threw, and I am rolling on the floor in laughter all the time. If you loved the dance parts, in Dirty Dancing, and the love, in Love and other drugs, I think you will love this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbreaker_(2010_film)

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1752 on: April 30, 2011, 05:00:40 pm »
Normally I never watch french movies. I think they are bit dull. But this comedy is just hilarious and funny straight threw, and I am rolling on the floor in laughter all the time. If you loved the dance parts, in Dirty Dancing, and the love, in Love and other drugs, I think you will love this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbreaker_(2010_film)

I really enjoyed that film as well.  I'm a big fan of Romain Duris

Speaking of French films, I just got back from seeing The Princess of Montpensier starring another favourite of mine, Gaspard Ulliel.

It's a wonderful costume drama set in 16th century France during the wars between the Catholics and Huguenots.  The period detail and costumes feel amazingly authentic but the film feels fresh and original.  the cinematography is gorgeous and lush and the acting is excellent, especially Gregoire Leprince-Ringuet as the tortured Prince de Montpensier.  Mélanie Thierry is beautiful and somewhat icy as his wife, whom every man falls in love with.  This is not just a love triangle, more like a love pentagon!  A sweeping drama, complete with swash-buckling and court intrigue, with an intelligent script.  Highly recommended.

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #1753 on: April 30, 2011, 05:50:21 pm »
I really enjoyed that film as well.  I'm a big fan of Romain Duris

Speaking of French films, I just got back from seeing The Princess of Montpensier starring another favourite of mine, Gaspard Ulliel.

It's a wonderful costume drama set in 16th century France during the wars between the Catholics and Huguenots.  The period detail and costumes feel amazingly authentic but the film feels fresh and original.  the cinematography is gorgeous and lush and the acting is excellent, especially Gregoire Leprince-Ringuet as the tortured Prince de Montpensier.  Mélanie Thierry is beautiful and somewhat icy as his wife, whom every man falls in love with.  This is not just a love triangle, more like a love pentagon!  A sweeping drama, complete with swash-buckling and court intrigue, with an intelligent script.  Highly recommended.

thank you for sharing... I will try to find it on the internet. Its sounds really good, I love costume drama.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1754 on: April 30, 2011, 05:54:43 pm »
The trailer:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D5JTxLf_K4[/youtube]

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1755 on: May 22, 2011, 02:21:08 pm »
The Tree of Life wins the Golden Palm

The Jury of the 64th Cannes Film Festival, presided over by Robert De Niro, and further comprised of Martina Gusman, Nansun Shi, Uma Thurman, Linn Ullmann, Olivier Assayas, Jude Law, Mahamat Saleh Haroun and Johnnie To, has awarded the Palme d'Or to Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life.

The Grand Prix has been split this year, going to both Nuri Bilge Ceylan's Once Upon a Time in Anatolia and Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne's The Kid with a Bike.

Nicolas Winding Refn wins Best Director for Drive.

Joseph Cedar's won the Best Screenplay award for Footnote.

Best Actor goes to Jean Dujardin for his performance in Michel Hazanavicius's The Artist.

Kirsten Dunst's won Best Actress for her performance in Lars von Trier's Melancholia. She thanked the Festival for allowing the film to carry on competing even though its director has been declared "persona non grata."

The Jury Prize goes to Maïwenn's Poliss. Accepting the award, the young director was clearly overwhelmed. As she struggled to speak, some may have worried that she might not survive the experience.

Pablo Giorgelli wins the Camera d'Or, presented to the director of a first feature, for Las acacias.

Maryna Vroda takes the Short Film Palme d'Or for Cross-Country.

http://mubi.com/notebook/posts/3353

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1756 on: May 31, 2011, 07:31:32 pm »
Apparently...

In the last year of his life, German auteur Rainer Werner Fassbinder cataloged, in the form of top 10 lists, his favorite things, from his favorite operas to his favorite soccer players.

Here are his 10 favorite films:

1. THE DAMNED, Luchino Visconti

2. THE NAKED AND THE DEAD, Raoul Walsh

3. LOLA MONTÈS, Max Ophuls

4. FLAMINGO ROAD, Michael Curtiz

5. SALO, OR THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM, Pier Paolo Pasolini

6. GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, Howard Hawks

7. AGENT X27, Josef von Sternberg

8. THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, Charles Laughton

9. JOHNNY GUITAR, Nicholas Ray

10. RED ELDERBERRY, Vassily Shukchin

http://www.facebook.com/notes/the-criterion-collection/rw-fassbinders-10-best-films/10150195772668562

What would your list look like?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1757 on: May 31, 2011, 11:18:02 pm »
I wouldn't be able to even come close to his level of taste, although I do love the Italian greats, and would include Visconti's The Leopard and Pasolini's Teorama, in addition to one or two by Antonioni and Bertolucci.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1758 on: May 31, 2011, 11:31:41 pm »
I saw Crazy Heart last weekend, BTW, and aside from one minor plot point that I HATED, I liked it. Jeff Bridges was amazing, and definitely should win the BA Oscar.

I finally got around to seeing this. Jeff was good, but if I am not mistaken was playing the same damn part that he played in The Big Lebowski, was he not? Oh, yes, he sang a few songs, pretty well too. In fact, I think the big star of this movie was the soundtrack!! Many of the songs were written by T-Bone Burnett.

Why was Colin Farrell not credited in the movie? I thought his role as Tommy Sweet was one of his best. I wasn't really impressed with Maggie Gyllenhaal's portrayal as the love interest, Jean.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1759 on: June 01, 2011, 01:11:36 am »
What would your list look like?

I rustled up an old thread where I posted my list:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,840.msg14421.html#msg14421

Brokeback Mountain
The Fellowship of the Ring
Tom Jones
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
To Kill a Mockingbird
Barry Lyndon
Sense and Sensibility
A Hard Day's Night
Midnight Cowboy
Master and Commander

The last two are exchangeable, perhaps for Gone with the Wind and something with Fred & Ginger, like Top Hat, then there's Woody Allen's Manhattan and Woman of the Year with Tracy and Hepburn and Enchanted April and...
Ich bin ein Brokie...