Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1040503 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1770 on: June 11, 2011, 12:08:14 pm »
Getting back to Tree of Life, here's what LA Times columnist Meghan Daum posted on Twitter:

Tree of Life: a movie or a screensaver? #treeoflife #isowantedtoloveit

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1771 on: June 15, 2011, 11:24:59 pm »
Watched "Burlesque" tonight.  Thought it was a relatively pointless movie, but oh-my-God, Cher's and Christina's voices were perfection.  I've decided there's no way I'll ever be a lesbian because I fast-forwarded through all the semi-naked-girl scenes:)
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1772 on: June 15, 2011, 11:55:03 pm »
Greetings from the 13th annual Provincetown International Film Festival!

A Maxfield-Parrish-blue dusk sky and a buttery full moon reflected in the bay provided the backdrop for the opening night selection:  "The Perfect Family" with Kathleen Turner.  The Ptown glitterati, such as they are, showed up for the sold-out screening, including John Waters, who hugged Miss Turner right in front of me. 

Miss Turner plays Eileen Cleary, who is up for the "Catholic Woman of the Year" award, yet her lesbian daughter (Emily Deschanel) is pregnant, and her son (Jason Ritter) is leaving his wife for the town manicurist, and the bishop wants to have a home visit!  Let's just say her faith is challenged, and along the way, she receives counseling from the liberal-minded Father Joe, played by Scott Michael Campbell--better known around these parts as Monroe!  Seems there's always a Brokie connection. 

Miss Turner was very gracious in the Q&A, volunteering that she should get credit for not being vain, as her character had a bad Lady Di wig and less-than-glamorous clothes. 

Best line:  "I don't have to think--I'm Catholic!"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1773 on: June 16, 2011, 12:41:23 am »
Thanks for the evocative review, Paul.  So cool that you got to see John Waters hug Kathleen Turner!  Oh to be in P-town.... 8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1774 on: June 16, 2011, 09:22:56 am »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1775 on: June 16, 2011, 09:37:45 am »
Richard Chamberlain is the bishop?

No, he's the parish priest, and was exceedingly dull in the role.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1776 on: June 16, 2011, 11:27:04 am »
Oh dang. No Thorn Birds redo then.

Say I heard a review that, surprisingly, Midnight in Paris is supposed to be good? Anyone seen it?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1777 on: June 16, 2011, 12:15:34 pm »
Oh dang. No Thorn Birds redo then.

Say I heard a review that, surprisingly, Midnight in Paris is supposed to be good? Anyone seen it?

Yes, and I was happy to find it was in the vein of the old Woody Allen movies, doing for Paris what he did so beautifully for Manhattan, making it look like the most desirable city in the world.  He also makes fun of intellectuals while adoring them, the way only he can do.  Owen Wilson does well in the lead, recalling Woody's earlier incarnations while still keeping his own charm.  Not earthshaking, but a nice night out.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1778 on: June 16, 2011, 02:07:58 pm »
Thanks, Meryl! Sounds like it's time to start watching Woody Allen movies again!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1779 on: June 16, 2011, 07:14:54 pm »
A very emotional day here at the Ptown film festival.  I have often found that the documentaries are the ones that stay with me.

First this morning, I saw an extraordinary film that will certainly stay with me.  "Buck" is a film about a different kind of cowboy:  a "tortured soul", who went from child trick-rope star with a sadistic father, to an unassuming sage who runs clinics to help people with horse problems, or as he says, helping horses with people problems.  He understands what it is to be a horse, and gently but firmly shares that in his clinics.  He criss-crosses the country, from Limerick, Maine to Thermopolis, Wyoming.  Redford hired him as a consultant for "The Horse Whisperer".  

(Brokie aside:  his mother worked in Ennis, Montana.)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IShjmWYuHZ0[/youtube]

www.buckthefilm.com

Here's the calendar of cities where it can be seen:  http://www.buckthefilm.com/playdates.htm