Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1037362 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1800 on: July 26, 2011, 11:13:39 am »
I want to see Cowboys and Aliens, too.  It sounds like a hoot, and with Daniel Craig to boot!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1801 on: July 26, 2011, 11:34:25 am »
OK, I confess, I don't care how cheesey the concept sounds, I wanna see Cowboys and Aliens.  ;D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409847/

Actually, I guess I wanna see it because it does sound cheesey.  :laugh:

With Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig, and Olivia Wilde (House), it can't be entirely unredeemably awful.

Can it?  ;D

With movies like that, I pay attention to the reviews. If critics slam it, I'll probably skip it. But if it gets half-decent reviews, I'll go, too.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1802 on: July 26, 2011, 11:42:12 am »
With movies like that, I pay attention to the reviews. If critics slam it, I'll probably skip it. But if it gets half-decent reviews, I'll go, too.

In my case, I have to admit that with a title like Cowboys and Aliens, the more critics slam it, the more likely I am to think, "That's probably my kind of picture."  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1803 on: August 01, 2011, 03:22:18 pm »
I'm thinking about seeing Cowboys and Aliens after work one day this week. That reminds me of the experience of seeing Captain America. As I sat in the theater before the movie began, I was reminded how much the world has changed: I was sitting in a movie theater watching commercials for TV shows!  :o
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 09:36:03 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1804 on: August 01, 2011, 06:48:52 pm »
A coworker saw Cowboys and Aliens and said it was really fun and good.  Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig had chemistry.  Worth seeing she said.

'Course, she also liked The Green Lantern.

I plan on seeing Cowboys and Aliens and Captain America this week.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1805 on: August 03, 2011, 12:24:20 am »
I think I'll skip Cowboys & Aliens, a reviewer I trust hated it.  I will see Rise of the Planet of the Apes though.

A couple of nights ago I saw The Devil's Double with Dominic Cooper in a double role. He plays Uday Hussein, Saddam's psychotic (& bisexual) son and also his double. A very enjoyable thriller, with some scenes of extreme violence - I jumped and went Ewww! a couple of times -  but also some dark humour that prevents the film from being a downer.  Lee Tamahori is the director.  The film loses some steam in the last act but it's well worth seeing.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1806 on: August 03, 2011, 10:59:47 am »
I saw the trailer for Devil's Double too. Intriguing concept! Looked like it would be very engrossing, over the top in some places, but aren't all movies these days?

The main attraction last night was a restored print of The Man Who Fell to Earth, a mid-'70s film by Nicholas Roeg starring David Bowie in his first film role. He was so perfect you might think the role was written for him, but no! It was conceived as a vehicle for Peter O'Toole. Bowie was much more relaxed and natural in the role than O'Toole would have been.

Over the top it was not and that made the climactic scenes even more powerful. It was interesting to see how many technological innovations the main character started, in his quest to raise funds to return to his home planet, that have really come to pass. Self developing cameras, disposable recyclable cameras, speakerphones, unleaded gas, remote controls, etc. I expected him to produce contact lenses that would correct Buck Henry's terrible eyesight, but he never did. I wonder why that wasn't part of the story.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1807 on: August 03, 2011, 04:24:50 pm »
I hope Amanda checks out your review, Lee, since she seems to be one of the world's biggest fans of all things Bowie:)
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1808 on: August 03, 2011, 10:21:09 pm »
I'm thinking about seeing Cowboys and Aliens after work one day this week.

Well, I really broke out of my routine today. Cowboys and Aliens was playing at a theater four blocks from the office, and there was a show at 5:00, so I went there directly from work. I really liked it. Hey, what's not to like about cowboys, outlaws, and Apaches mixing it up with aliens?  ;D

Harrison Ford can still pull it off, and Daniel Craig--what a hunk, and what incredible blue eyes! And then there's the beautiful Olivia Wilde, from TV's House.

Strangely enough, in the "Movie Openings" column in the August 1 New Yorker, the movie is characterized as a "comedy." This movie is by no means a comedy. It's very violent, and the violence is not played for laughs. Sympathetic characters get killed. But it's still a great movie for the adolescent boy in me who likes to see stuff blown up.  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1809 on: August 03, 2011, 10:22:57 pm »
I think I'll skip Cowboys & Aliens, a reviewer I trust hated it.

Probably wasn't his kind of picture. What did he expect from a movie inspired by a video game?