Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1036513 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1810 on: August 04, 2011, 01:18:24 pm »
Oh, yeah. There was one thing that kind of puzzled me when I saw Cowboys and Aliens yesterday.  The previews included The Conspirator as a coming attraction. That's the movie, with Robin Wright, about Mary Surrat, hanged as a participant in John Wilkes Booth's plot to assassinate Lincoln. But that movie came out in the spring.  ???  Maybe it's being rereleased to generate support for Oscar nominations?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1811 on: August 05, 2011, 06:54:01 pm »
Well, I didn't go see Cowboys and Aliens last week, but I am going tonight.  My sister is pretty enthused.  She has some crazy theory about all the ghost towns in the Southwest Americas.  Some that literally were abandoned overnight.  She wonders, "How do we know the people actually left?  They didn't track people back then.  Maybe some WERE kidnapped by aliens!"  8)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1812 on: August 06, 2011, 12:23:11 am »
Cowboys and Aliens gets two thumbs up from me!!!

Simple enough cowboy morality tale, robbers with hearts of gold, bad guys finding redemption, relationships acknowledged, not too deep a plot, good acting all around - except of course, Olivia Wilde who's barely believable and spends a lot of time looking like a Gio Aqua commercial - good special effects and beautiful scenery.

Great summer popcorn movie.

And Daniel Craig is a god with those cornflower blue eyes and a body you could bounce a quarter off of, and he takes his shirt off no less than 3 times.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Worth the price of admission alone.  Go see it.  ;D

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1813 on: August 06, 2011, 12:29:59 pm »
And Daniel Craig is a god with those cornflower blue eyes and a body you could bounce a quarter off of, and he takes his shirt off no less than 3 times.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Worth the price of admission alone.  Go see it.  ;D

Say no more.  I'm there!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1814 on: August 09, 2011, 11:59:33 pm »
I saw Crazy Stupid Love this weekend. Thought it was kind of crazy in parts, kind of stupid in parts, and I didn't love it.

But I liked it. Thought it was worth seeing. I laughed a number of times, and liked some of the characters. Speaking of quarters, Ryan Gosling appears quite bounceable. If I were so inclined, I would probably think the same about Emma Stone. And who can speak ill of Steve Carrell and Julianne Moore?

Did I tell you all that I saw Friends With Benefits a couple of weeks ago? Same thing there, mixed feelings. The downside: There was actually too much sex for me! I'm not a prude (I don't think), but it just felt like TMI about somebody else's sex life. But the script was smart and funny, both JT and Mila Kunis were charming and attractive, the supporting actors -- particularly Woody Harrelson, Patricia Clarkson and Richard Jenkins -- all wonderful, the views of NYC attractive, the fashions worth noting. What more do you need from a light summer rom-com?

Though if any of you see this, please share with me what you thought of Woody Harrelson's character. Woody played him well, but as written he was a bit over the top -- a gay guy who was constantly referencing his own gayness. Too much, do you think?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1815 on: August 10, 2011, 02:21:13 pm »
And who can speak ill of Steve Carrell and Julianne Moore?

I like Julianne Moore, though I heard she phoned in her performance. But I'm always happy to speak ill of Steve Carrell. The man drives me around the bend.  ;D

Woody Harrelson's character -- a gay guy who was constantly referencing his own gayness. Too much, do you think?

Well, there are people out there like that. They make being gay their profession.  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1816 on: August 10, 2011, 08:08:28 pm »
Lots of movies to see...I hear One Day, starring our Anne, will open on the 19th. Then, there's Dream House with Daniel Craig and Rachel Weitz. I didn't know those two were married in real life. The trailer can be seen here.

I'm upset about yet another Sherlock Holmes Robert Downey Jr. vehicle. I'll have to pass if it portrays Holmes as a bully and a fighter, like the first one. Jude Law makes a rather nice Watson, though.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1817 on: August 10, 2011, 11:16:11 pm »
Daniel Craig and Rachel Weitz. I didn't know those two were married in real life.

:o Me neither!

I'm upset about yet another Sherlock Holmes Robert Downey Jr. vehicle. I'll have to pass if it portrays Holmes as a bully and a fighter, like the first one. Jude Law makes a rather nice Watson, though.

I'll see just about anything with RDJ in it. Though I hated that one where he's a journalist and Jamie Foxx is a mentally ill violinist.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1818 on: August 11, 2011, 08:58:49 am »
I'll see just about anything with RDJ in it.

I really ought to see Iron Man. I'm sure I'd find it fun.

Though I hated that one where he's a journalist and Jamie Foxx is a mentally ill violinist.

The guy who wrote the book that was based on used to write for the Philadelphia Inquirer. I always enjoyed his newspaper columns.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1819 on: August 11, 2011, 09:01:57 am »
Did I tell you all that I saw Friends With Benefits a couple of weeks ago? Same thing there, mixed feelings. The downside: There was actually too much sex for me! I'm not a prude (I don't think), but it just felt like TMI about somebody else's sex life. But the script was smart and funny, both JT and Mila Kunis were charming and attractive.

Yeah, I'd rather be having sex with JT than spend a whole movie watching him do it with someone else.  ;D