Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1037520 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1840 on: August 19, 2011, 11:21:44 am »
The Conan trailer doesn't bode well for the level of high class entertainment one might hope for, but I have seen the buns in question in HBO's Game of Thrones and can understand the critic's respect for them.  The guy is massively hot.  ;D

;D  You want "massively hot"? Remember Marc Singer in The Beastmaster? That was really him, too--no (or very little) CGI back then. I forget what triggered a memory yesterday, but I looked him up at IMDb. Ah, my youth. ...  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1841 on: August 19, 2011, 11:40:53 am »
Yay! One Day opens tomorrow! I hope Anne has a more agreeable character to play in this movie... If not, I'm going to have to start wondering if there's a Brokeback curse   ???

Oh, no. As I feared, the reviews for One Day are not good. I'm thinking of passing on it...there are too many other movies I'd like to see. Plus, I still remember the Alan Alda/Ellen Burstyn version, Same Time Next Year, and I don't know if this one could walk 20 years in its shoes.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1842 on: August 19, 2011, 03:02:44 pm »
The Conan trailer doesn't bode well for the level of high class entertainment one might hope for, but I have seen the buns in question in HBO's Game of Thrones and can understand the critic's respect for them.  The guy is massively hot.  ;D

From the NYT:

http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/18/five-ku-short-poems-on-the-conan-the-barbarian-remake/?ref=magazine

Five-Ku: Short Poems on the “Conan the Barbarian” Remake

By ADAM STERNBERGH[/b]

Jason Momoa,
Stepping into Arnold’s shoes
Or, rather, loin cloth.

Barbarian: Once
Icon, now not even world’s
Most famous Conan.

Expect broadswords, mead,
And digressions on Sartre.
Kidding. No Sartre.

In credits, seven
Women’s roles listed, simply,
As “Topless Wenches.”

But if “Conan” scores?
Call the Rock: time to fast-track
“Kull the Conqueror.”

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1843 on: August 19, 2011, 03:03:24 pm »
Oh, no. As I feared, the reviews for One Day are not good. I'm thinking of passing on it...there are too many other movies I'd like to see. Plus, I still remember the Alan Alda/Ellen Burstyn version, Same Time Next Year, and I don't know if this one could walk 20 years in its shoes.

I thought the trailer made it look profoundly uninteresting.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1844 on: August 19, 2011, 03:09:04 pm »
I thought the trailer made it look profoundly uninteresting.

Seems its chief attraction is the attractiveness of its stars.

Sorta like Jason Momoa's buns.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1845 on: August 19, 2011, 06:17:49 pm »
Seems its chief attraction is the attractiveness of its stars.

Sorta like Jason Momoa's buns.

Is that a problem? [goes to buy popcorn so I can sit and watch beautiful people emote and show their buns]

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1846 on: August 19, 2011, 06:55:10 pm »
Is that a problem? [goes to buy popcorn so I can sit and watch beautiful people emote and show their buns]

Not for me!  ;D

(Especially about the buns. ...)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1847 on: August 26, 2011, 10:15:58 am »
Last night, once again courtesy of TCM, I got to see a film I'd been wanting to see for years: Il Gattopardo (The Leopard), with Burt Lancaster and the unbelievably handsome Alain Delon.

Years ago I read about this movie, or, rather, about the author of the book on which it is based, in--where else?--The New Yorker.  The New Yorker article compared The Leopard to an Italian Gone With the Wind, and I think the comparison is apt, as long as you don't push it too much.

The story takes place in and about 1860, as Italy is at last being unified under the House of Savoy, the ruling dynasty of the Kingdom of Sardinia, centered in the north of Italy with its capital at Turin. Lancaster plays Fabrizio, prince of Salina, a Sicilian aristocrat, and Delon is his nephew, Tancredi. So the movie takes place at roughly the same time as GWTW, and the central character is a man trying to make his way through rapidly changing times, as the world he knew is being replaced by a new order--much as Scarlett O'Hara does the best she can to make her way as the world she grew up in comes to an end and is replaced with a new and unfamiliar world.

The movie is in Italian--logically enough--with subtitles, but I found the subtitles difficult to read at times because they were in white and often projected over the fabulous colors of the film. Lancaster was dubbed into Italian--clearly, it wasn't his voice--so it was kind of odd to read subtitles for the dialogue of an English-speaking actor who was dubbed into Italian.

The early part of the movie was a little confusing because I'm not that conversant with Italian history. I knew about the Risorgimento in a general sort of way, and that the Red Shirts, followers of the Italian nationalist Giuseppe Garibaldi, fought to unify the country. Early in the movie, Tancredi goes off to join the Red Shirts; there is a battle sequence, and Tancredi is wounded, but not badly. What I wasn't clear about at all was who the Red Shirts were fighting in Sicily and southern Italy.

Fortunately I still had an old World History text in my library, so after the movie was over I reviewed the section on Italian unification. Turns out that at the time of unification, Sicily and southern Italy constituted the Kingdom of Naples, also known as the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies (though I don't know why), which was ruled by a branch of the old Bourbon family. So presumably the Red Shirts were fighting to overthrow the Bourbon dynasty in southern Italy in order to unite the region with Sardinia. So that cleared up for me who the Red Shirts were fighting.

I liked the movie very much, despite its being in Italian--with the subtitles it was sort of like watching a silent movie with a lot of noise in the background instead of music. At the end the movie has an extended and very gorgeous sequence set at a ball. The cinematography is beautiful--not just at the ball but throught the whole movie.  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1848 on: August 26, 2011, 12:31:20 pm »
Great to hear you enjoyed The Leopard, Jeff. We have quite a few fans of that film here, including oilgun and pipedream. I discussed it back in 2006 starting here. I actually obtained the remastered DVD at the library.

Since you like Burt Lancaster, you should try viewing one of his last films. That's right, you guessed it....Local Hero!!  ::)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1849 on: August 26, 2011, 03:44:47 pm »
Since you like Burt Lancaster, you should try viewing one of his last films. That's right, you guessed it....Local Hero!!  ::)

Well, I didn't really want to see the movie for Burt Lancaster. I was intrigued by what I had read of the plot and the historical setting. I didn't really care who was in it--and I probably would have gotten more out of it if it had been dubbed in English for American audiences.

Of course, even with the subtitles, there was one line that I find quite memorable. The prince's private chaplain chides him for patronizing a prostitute--or maybe the woman was a regular mistress; I wasn't clear on that point. In response the prince complains of the lack of passion in his marriage and of the extreme piety of his wife, who blesses herself before every sexual act and exclaims "Gesumaria!" when it's all over. Says the prince, "I have seven children with her and I've never seen her navel!"

:laugh: