Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1037281 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1850 on: September 14, 2011, 11:04:36 am »
Just came from seeing Midnight in Paris. It was fun in a wistful sort of way. Since Owen Wilson is a blonde, I thought how much better Heath would have been in the role. Heath and Woody Allen...that would have been quite a combination. The parts with the '20s celebrities were enticing and quite a tease. I wish those characters had been developed more. Luis Bunuel as a dunce, getting his inspiration from surfer dude Owen? It was great to see Carla Bruni in a role as a working woman in Paris...she was great!!

Here's a good "cheat sheet" to MIP: check it out and then see the movie again!!

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/06/hemingway-said-what-a-cultural-cheat-sheet-for-midnight-in-paris/240198/#slide1
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1851 on: October 02, 2011, 06:46:17 pm »
I just learned that a new Monty Python movie will be out next year! Apparently, it is based on the memoirs of the one Pythoner who died, Graham Chapman. The Liar's Autobiography has all the surviving members involved except for Eric Idle. Something to look forward to!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1852 on: October 03, 2011, 12:08:48 pm »
I just learned that a new Monty Python movie will be out next year! Apparently, it is based on the memoirs of the one Pythoner who died, Graham Chapman. The Liar's Autobiography has all the surviving members involved except for Eric Idle. Something to look forward to!

Great news!

Something to look forward to indeed!

Thanks for sharing, Lee.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1853 on: October 25, 2011, 11:53:42 am »
One of my favorite stories of all time is getting the big screen treatment! It's about time...I'm purring over this preview!!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55gmAtakjJ4&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1854 on: October 27, 2011, 11:23:15 pm »
I saw 'Midnight in Paris' 3 weeks ago with our movie group and loved it. But then I am in love with Paris. I warned the others I might walk straight out and head for the Travel Agent. Lucky it was Sunday  ;D  I recognised many locations from my fairly regular visits there. I also love 20's music and so am thinking of buying the DVD. The story was silly but that did not worry me.
The reason I came to this thread was that I have just returned from seeing 'One Day'.  I had to fill in time while my car was serviced. I had seen the trailer (at MIP) and thought it was mildly interesting  and there was not much available on a weekday morning. In fact I was the only person in the theatre. Just as well. I do not think I have cried so much since BM.
I had never heard of Jim Sturgess but he is cute. his smile made me melt. I had trouble understanding Anne Hathaway at times. Perhaps she was trying to sound English. I do not read here as we usually get movies in NZ months after you do.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1855 on: October 28, 2011, 02:16:18 am »
The reason I came to this thread was that I have just returned from seeing 'One Day'.  I had to fill in time while my car was serviced. I had seen the trailer (at MIP) and thought it was mildly interesting  and there was not much available on a weekday morning. In fact I was the only person in the theatre. Just as well. I do not think I have cried so much since BM.
I had never heard of Jim Sturgess but he is cute. his smile made me melt. I had trouble understanding Anne Hathaway at times. Perhaps she was trying to sound English. I do not read here as we usually get movies in NZ months after you do.

I've just started reading the book. 8)
I didn't even know there was a movie to it. The book apparently was a hit last summer in GB, when I spent my holidays there, so I bought it.
I'm not far in, and from the beginning, I can't stand the character of Dexter, which makes it hard to get into the story. I hope he gets more simpatico with time.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1856 on: October 31, 2011, 06:46:25 pm »
One of my favorite stories of all time is getting the big screen treatment! It's about time...I'm purring over this preview!!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55gmAtakjJ4&feature=related[/youtube]

Appurrently, this is not a telling of the original story but is instead a mashup of several Mother Goose tales including Jack in the Beanstalk, Humpty Dumpty, etc. But I shall still see it. I love the story, though, which begins:

"A miller who had three sons was growing old and ill, sad and forgetful.... His two older sons ... forced him to write a will. The oldest was left the mill, the second, a donkey that took flour to market, but to Robin, the youngest, a shy bullied boy, was left only Puss, whose wretched job was to keep rats from the stored grain."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1857 on: January 23, 2012, 11:06:52 am »
I saw two rather interesting old relic horror movies on Turner Classics last night. The first was Murders in the Rue Morgue, with Bela Lugosi, and the second was The Black Cat, with Lugosi and Boris Karloff.

They both seem so dated. ...

What interested me most about Murders in the Rue Morgue was thinking I recognized one of the other actors, though he was a very young man at the time. I was correct: It was Leon Ames, best known to me as Judy Garland's father in Meet Me in St. Louis. He was billed here under his birth name, Leon Waycoff. What interested me most about The Black Cat was noticing that at the time, Boris Karloff was billed only as "Karloff." Apparently at that time he was so well known that he could go by one name. Like Madonna. ... Or Cher. ...  ;D

The Black Cat was set in contemporary times and had really cool Art Deco sets.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1858 on: January 29, 2012, 09:55:37 pm »
I saw "The Iron Lady" today and can highly recommend it.

Forget about the stupid trailer--I hate how they edit those things.  It's a much more intimate portrait, not your typical biopic.  The filmmakers use some very interesting techniques to portray the lady, rather than simply rely on the usual chronological stuff. 

Meryl Streep continues to prove that she can do anything. 

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1859 on: January 30, 2012, 01:54:10 pm »
It is worth seeing because of Meryl Streep. Other than her fine performance I found the movie rather disappointing.