Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1037185 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1870 on: April 24, 2012, 10:35:09 pm »
Have you seen his autobiographical DVD, which is called JCVD?  I borrowed it from library, but you might find it on Netflix or the like.  It was surprisingly good and insightful.  He is quite a man, not just some dumb pile of muscles.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  ;)  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1871 on: April 24, 2012, 10:48:33 pm »
Have you seen his autobiographical DVD, which is called JCVD?  I borrowed it from library, but you might find it on Netflix or the like.  It was surprisingly good and insightful.  He is quite a man, not just some dumb pile of muscles.

Are you kidding?  I saw JCVD on the big screen, I was first in line.  I don't think it was that autobiographical though, lol!  He did prove that he could really act and we all expected a big comeback but nothing really followed it for some reason.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1872 on: April 25, 2012, 03:21:50 am »

I always confuse those two cuties.

They are just as confused!

And Just Because.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1873 on: April 27, 2012, 11:40:12 pm »
I am so looking forward to PROMETHEUS  and Logan Marshall-Green is definitely a major incentive:

He's like Tom Hardy's more troubled brother.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:11:11 pm by oilgun »

Offline Andrew

« Reply #1874 on: April 28, 2012, 01:03:49 am »
I just came away from a really wonderful quiet drama, In the Family.  It was showing for (Shame!) two days only here at an MIT film festival, tomorrow is the last night scheduled in the Boston area for the foreseeable future.  Fortunately it looks as if it is about to have at least a short run in several cities starting this weekend or next week.  And I really hope the Kendall Square or at least the gay film festival pick it up.  It was at MIT in part because the the director/lead is an alumnus.

http://inthefamilythemovie.com/

This is a film for the people who did not think Brokeback Mountain was too long, slow and uneventful.  The actual duration was two and three quarters hours and yet it  brought me to its pace such that my reaction was shock that it was finishing.  Although the ending was completely satisfying.

Patrick Wang was really outstanding in the lead role and Sebastian Brodziak as his and his partner's son was also terrific.  I want to find out whether Wang says anywhere that he appreciates Ang Lee.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/11/04/movies/in-the-family-from-patrick-wang-review.html

"REMARKABLY FRESH. TOPICAL AND TIMELESS." - THE NEW YORK TIMES

"POWERFUL. A REMARKABLE DEBUT." - VARIETY

"ASTOUNDING. A MUST SEE!" -FILMMAKER MAGAZINE

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1875 on: April 28, 2012, 12:56:58 pm »
I saw Hunger Games before I left for Italy.

I liked the premise (Sorta tone-downed Battle Royale) and the books were extremely popular.  I haven't read them yet. 

I give it 7 out of 10 in that the premise is good, acting pretty solid by supporting cast, though the main characters aren't given much acting to do as reacting.

I enjoyed it and it was disturbing.  I am told the books are even more disturbing.

Sequels are set to start filming this summer.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #1876 on: June 02, 2012, 01:06:47 am »
MIB3

I give a 6/10

Light, fun, fluffy, cotton candy movie.  Easily digested and forgotten about.  Josh Brolin owns his "young Tommy Lee" role.  You forget it's not Tommy Lee after a while.

The Avengers
I give 8/10
Excellent comic book movie.  Each character is given a turn at showcasing their talents and who they are as a person.  Captain America is my childhood favorite and he's especially poignant in this.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #1877 on: June 08, 2012, 08:33:27 pm »
Salmon Fishing in Yemen
Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt
7.5 out of 10 for sheer sweetness
Nothing unexpected happens, it is exactly what you think it is, predictable but very charming.

On a Chris Evans kick, I rented:

Sunshine
9 out of 10
This is a very haunting movie.  Tension filled, poignant and tragic.  Danny Boyle is the director.  Excellent, recommend viewing.

Push
6.5 out of 10
I love the Hong Kong location of this movie, the fact that the main character actually does speak some Cantonese in the movie and many of the supporting characters are international.  I also love the premise.  The world it exists in is very interesting and I also very much like how

SPOILER FOLLOWS

the main character doesn't suddenly realize his potential and becomes a superhero and saves the day.  He remains very human, very vulnerable, with a few breakthroughs from time to time, but triumphs by thinking his way through their predicament.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:51:29 pm by delalluvia »

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1878 on: June 08, 2012, 08:48:09 pm »
MIB3

I give a 6/10

Light, fun, fluffy, cotton candy movie.  Easily digested and forgotten about.  Josh Brolin owns his "young Tommy Lee" role.  You forget it's not Tommy Lee after a while.

The Avengers
I give 8/10
Excellent comic book movie.  Each character is given a turn at showcasing their talents and who they are as a person.  Captain America is my childhood favorite and he's especially poignant in this.

My childhood favourite was THOR and he was pretty good in the film.  He had good lines and was the butt of some good jokes.  I loved it when he tried to defend Loki saying "After all he IS my brother" and someone said "He killed 90 people in half an hour!", "He was adopted."  :D

I would go to PROMETHEUS and COSMOPOLIS this weekend but Euro cup 2012 just started!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #1879 on: June 09, 2012, 01:22:23 am »

My childhood favourite was THOR and he was pretty good in the film.  He had good lines and was the butt of some good jokes.  I loved it when he tried to defend Loki saying "After all he IS my brother" and someone said "He killed 90 people in half an hour!", "He was adopted."  :D

:laugh: :laugh:

That was the funniest line in the movie IMO.  He seems to cut Loki loose pretty fast in that exchange, but the entire movie is him trying to reach his [adopted] brother.  He wants to save him, even from himself.  It's very sweet.

Yeah, the Cap, he's my favorite.  I'm not sure but I'm think it was the shield I thought was so neat as a kid and I still think is pretty cool.