Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025964 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1880 on: June 09, 2012, 01:31:53 am »
My movie group went to see Salmon Fishing in the Yemen and I was a bit hesitant after seeing a promo on TV  but then I thoroughly enjoyed it. I gave it 8. Then I went by myself to see The Five year Engagement because I like Emily Blunt and could not wait for it to finish. I gave it 5.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1881 on: June 29, 2012, 04:14:44 pm »
Katie Holmes has decided not to renew her 5 year contract with Tom Cruise...

http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/29/tom-cruise-katie-holmes-divorce/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:11:01 pm by oilgun »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1882 on: June 30, 2012, 12:06:46 pm »
Kathie Holmes has decided not to renew her 5 year contract with Tom Cruise...

http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/29/tom-cruise-katie-holmes-divorce/

I've come to see this situation, and to some extent Tom Cruise's life as a whole, as kind of sad. If a world-famous billionaire can be considered sad.

But let's assume he's gay. Despite all of his advantages and power, he is as trapped, in a way, as Ennis: partly by his own internal reservations about what the people on the pavement will think, partly by what the people on the pavement (waiting in line at the box office) may actually think.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1883 on: June 30, 2012, 01:07:03 pm »
I've come to see this situation, and to some extent Tom Cruise's life as a whole, as kind of sad. If a world-famous billionaire can be considered sad.

But let's assume he's gay. Despite all of his advantages and power, he is as trapped, in a way, as Ennis: partly by his own internal reservations about what the people on the pavement will think, partly by what the people on the pavement (waiting in line at the box office) may actually think.

The guy has made his fortune already though.  So unless he's really insecure and gets his props from what other people think - which is tragic in itself - he has other things that keep him in denial.

I'd say Scientology.

I think they have a 'gay is a choice' attitude, don't they?

I didn't know there were rumors about John Travolta either and now guys are starting to come out of the woodwork with accusations against him.  He's also a Scientologist.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1884 on: June 30, 2012, 01:16:30 pm »
He has other things that keep him in denial.

I'd say Scientology.

I think they have a 'gay is a choice' attitude, don't they?

I was going to ask that question, too. Sticks in my mind for some reason that Scientology is anti-gay.

I didn't know there were rumors about John Travolta either and now guys are starting to come out of the woodwork with accusations against him.  He's also a Scientologist.

I can't recall knowing about rumore about Travolta, either, but if the accusations are true, it's interesting to consider the Scientology connection.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1885 on: June 30, 2012, 03:33:55 pm »
I was going to ask that question, too. Sticks in my mind for some reason that Scientology is anti-gay.

I can't recall knowing about rumore about Travolta, either, but if the accusations are true, it's interesting to consider the Scientology connection.

I've heard the rumors about both for years, and always thought it an odd coincidence that they're also the two most famous faces of Scientology, and both (potentially) closeted.

I'm not sure what Scientology's stand is on sexual orientation, but you can certainly think of other reasons why Cruise and Travolta would not want to come out. Either, of course, has all the money he'll ever need (and I don't recall seeing Travolta in anything for a while, so maybe he's decided the same), but Cruise is obviously still very interested in maintaining and building his career. And his particular star image is one that still, unfortunately, risks being damaged if he comes out. Thanks to all the other stars who've come out already, I think we're in transition on this, but we're not quite there yet for a star of Cruise's type.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1886 on: June 30, 2012, 05:00:41 pm »
I saw John Travolta in a recent movie called "From PAris with Love" with Jon Rhys-Meyers. It was a shoot-em-up about terrorists in Paris, and it was surprisingly good!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #1887 on: June 30, 2012, 05:34:15 pm »
I saw John Travolta in a recent movie called "From PAris with Love" with Jon Rhys-Meyers. It was a shoot-em-up about terrorists in Paris, and it was surprisingly good!

I LOVED Travolta in that movie, Lee.  I've seen it six times so far.  Funny thing is, I went to see it at the theater because I'm a Rhys-Meyers' fan; yet, he was almost invisible compared to Travolta's badassed badass role.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1888 on: July 01, 2012, 02:14:00 am »
And I just saw Travolta in the trailer for Oliver Stone's new movie "Savages" so the guy is still working...

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1889 on: July 01, 2012, 07:32:22 pm »

So far, it looks like his Vinnie Barbarino charisma is still holding on.  I wonder if this is swept under the rug, he will keep on doing the same
thing he has always done, and using his sweet, hail fellow well met attitude to get around all his until now hidden faults. 

Beautiful mind