Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025209 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1960 on: May 28, 2013, 10:51:52 pm »
Lets not compare the USA with Iran or Saudi Arabia.  Practically all movies that are rated Restricted in the states are rated 13+ in Canada (well Quebec really) so I can just imagine what kind of rating Blue will get in the the US.  Unless there's no swearing, of course, lol!

OK, so 13- through 17-year-old Americans can't see some movies in theaters unless accompanied by parents, that Quebecois of those ages can go see without bringing their parents along. That rule, BTW, has never kept my teenage sons from finding their way into movies on their own that would be way too much for me (mostly because of violence). But sure, it does exist.

That's pretty different, though, from your "Too bad Americans won't see the original version in theatres."

I agree that the ratings system here is fucked up in some ways. It is stricter about sex than violence, it is homophobic, and it is ridiculous about swearing. And I guess you could argue that a 13-year-old should be able to watch graphic scenes of adults having sex, although I can't say I'm convinced that their lives are all that ruined if they have to wait a few years or have their parents join them or wait until it comes out on DVD. This from a mom, by the way, whose kids have been seeing R-rated movies since they were about 10. (They grew out of kiddie movies early.)

There are, of course, two ratings categories that kids under 18 aren't allowed to see in theaters at all: NC-17 and X. According to the official  movie-ratings site, somewhere between zero and three movies a year get rated NC-17. X appears not to get used at all anymore.

I suppose it's possible that the movie-ratings board could slap an NC-17 on it and the U.S. distributor would be caught between having to cut it and wanting to avoid a box-office-damaging NC-17.

But we don't know that yet. The "too bad Americans won't see it" crack seemed out of line. That's why I brought up the specter of countries that actually DO ban movies.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:06:22 am by serious crayons »

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #1961 on: May 29, 2013, 10:22:57 pm »
Too bad Americans won't see the original version in theatres.  ;)

Yeah...y'all get a movie. We've got drones.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1962 on: May 30, 2013, 12:05:31 am »
Yeah...y'all get a movie. We've got drones.

I'll take a good lesbian coming of age film over your terrorist-producing drones anyday.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1963 on: May 30, 2013, 08:30:40 am »
Please, can we keep this discussion on topic? Thank you.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #1964 on: May 30, 2013, 10:59:12 am »
Please, can we keep this discussion on topic? Thank you.

America and its "prudishness" was not the topic of this thread. So I find it curious that you would want to to redirect the conversation since you were the one who commented on American prudes.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #1965 on: May 30, 2013, 11:00:36 am »
I'll take a good lesbian coming of age film over your terrorist-producing drones anyday.

That's your choice. Films don't leave terrorists laying dead in the streets. Drones do. That's my choice.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1966 on: May 30, 2013, 04:25:38 pm »
America and its "prudishness" was not the topic of this thread. So I find it curious that you would want to to redirect the conversation since you were the one who commented on American prudes.

The prudishness of the American movie rating system is germane to a movies thread, I believe, while the military and political systems are not.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #1967 on: May 30, 2013, 10:09:38 pm »
The prudishness of the American movie rating system is germane to a movies thread, I believe, while the military and political systems are not.

Wrong. Your subjective displeasure with Americans has nothing at all to do with the content of the film itself. Therefore, your vitriol is superfluous.

Moreover, your assumptions about Americans are nothing short of stereotyping. You have no clue how Americans will receive the film being discussed, yet you are more than willing to jump to a negative conclusion. But you're not alone. Gil is right there with you.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1968 on: May 30, 2013, 11:01:58 pm »
You are missing the point. My comment was acceptable and in line with the subject of the thread but yours wasn't it.  Drones have little to do with film.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #1969 on: May 30, 2013, 11:08:36 pm »
You are missing the point. My comment was acceptable and in line with the subject of the thread but yours wasn't it.  Drones have little to do with film.

No, you're missing your point. Your comment was yet another expression of your disdain for Americans. Drones have to plenty to do with people who don't like America.