Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1037644 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #2050 on: December 29, 2013, 04:11:31 pm »
Meryl, I watched Enchanted April last night. It only took me 2 1/2 years from the time you first recommended it to me!

It was great, especially the Italian countryside. I loved Joan Plowright, but Miranda Richardson disappointed me when she paired up with someone other than Lady Carolina! Those two were obviously meant for each other. I also thought the reaction of the women when their men showed up was not very credible.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2051 on: December 29, 2013, 09:33:47 pm »
Meryl, I watched Enchanted April last night. It only took me 2 1/2 years from the time you first recommended it to me!

It was great, especially the Italian countryside. I loved Joan Plowright, but Miranda Richardson disappointed me when she paired up with someone other than Lady Carolina! Those two were obviously meant for each other. I also thought the reaction of the women when their men showed up was not very credible.

I'm so glad you saw and enjoyed, Lee!  :D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2052 on: July 30, 2014, 08:52:27 pm »
The New Zealand international Film festival begins here tonight. The only gay referenced movie I can see is "Love is Strange' set in New York. It is on next Monday night and Tuesday midday (when I will be walking). Has anyone seen it?  Actors are John Lithgow and Alfred Molina, director Ira Sachs.

Tomorrow I plan to see "the Great Museum" set in the Kunsthistoriches Museum in Vienna. I am planning a week in Vienna next May.
On Saturday I have chosen "Still Life" set in London by Italian director Pasolini.
I sometimes make great plans for film festivals but do not always complete the effort of getting there.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2053 on: July 30, 2014, 09:04:00 pm »
Hi Brian.  Yes, I saw "Love is Strange" this past June.  It was one of the highlights of the Provincetown Film Festival; the audience loved.  I could definitely recommend it.  Strong performances from Lithgow and Molina.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2054 on: July 31, 2014, 04:49:25 pm »
So, did anyone see Sharknado 2?   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2055 on: July 31, 2014, 06:43:18 pm »
So, did anyone see Sharknado 2?   :laugh:

It was TV last night but on a channel I'm not subscribed to. I did see the trailer for the first one and that was enough, lol!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2056 on: October 06, 2014, 10:59:16 pm »
I caved to all the hype and went to see "Gone Girl." Frankly, I was disappointed. David Fincher is a good director, but I find his movies full of obscurity and confusion. Also, since I don't really like Ben Affleck, I had to steel myself before watching him again (I found Argo awful). But it wasn't enough, because Affleck is in every single scene, and the camera gets up close and personal with him. I found myself scrunching back in my seat to try to put a little more air space between me and him.

There were a lot of good things about the movie. I especially liked the performance of Carrie Coon as Affleck's twin sister. Tyler Perry as his attorney was good too, as well as the detective played by Kim Dickens. And Neil Patrick Harris was very convincing.

Appreciate your thoughts on the movie.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2057 on: October 07, 2014, 05:46:23 pm »
Also, since I don't really like Ben Affleck, I had to steel myself before watching him again (I found Argo awful). But it wasn't enough, because Affleck is in every single scene, and the camera gets up close and personal with him. I found myself scrunching back in my seat to try to put a little more air space between me and him.

I haven't heard any reviews on his performance, do the critics like him in this?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2058 on: October 08, 2014, 08:18:36 pm »
I haven't heard any reviews on his performance, do the critics like him in this?

I think he's gotten reasonably good reviews.

I saw it and thought it was OK. I would have liked it a lot more if I hadn't read the book. But both the movie and book derive a lot of their interest from plot twists, and both handle them well enough, but since they're the exact same plot twists I wasn't at all surprised and the movie some of its appeal for me. I think the same would happen if you did it the other way around.

I have nothing against Ben Affleck and liked "Argo." Lee, I hope you didn't look too closely at that shower scene -- you would see ... well, let's say more of Ben Affleck than has been in featured in previous movies.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2059 on: October 08, 2014, 10:30:39 pm »
I have nothing against Ben Affleck and liked "Argo." Lee, I hope you didn't look too closely at that shower scene -- you would see ... well, let's say more of Ben Affleck than has been in featured in previous movies.

Sounds like a good argument in favor of seeing the movie, if you ask me.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.