Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1041181 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #2080 on: February 05, 2015, 10:09:23 am »
RE: Life: I have a copy of Stark's book so I'm a bit worried about the casting of Dane Dehaan as James Dean. I don't mind that he doesn't look like him, it's just that he looks like a teenager – a kind of Gilbert Grape Dicaprio - while Dean looked older for his age. We'll see. I never did see James Franco's James Dean but I suspect he was pretty good in the role.

Sure enough, when I glanced at your post before reading the text I thought for a sec those were pictures of stars when they were younger and the middle one was LD. Then I noticed Pattinson and Dean and saw that they weren't younger. Both of them, in those three pictures, look about 10 years older than the middle guy.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2081 on: February 05, 2015, 01:00:01 pm »
I'm not sure a person's age should matter in the movie business. It's acting, after all. And in this age of makeup and special effects, it should matter even less. I'm remembering that Anne Bancroft did a good job as Dustin Hoffman's mother even though she was only six years older than him in The Graduate. And I could cite many other examples, including our own Heath Ledger, who convincingly aged 20 years in Brokeback Mountain.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2082 on: February 06, 2015, 04:41:10 am »
I haven't seen Dehaan in anything but with that baby face he better be a great actor if he wants to emulate James Dean.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2083 on: February 06, 2015, 08:47:32 am »

James Franco (didn't see it)

James Preston (saw it and wished I hadn't)

Dane Deehan (who knows?)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2084 on: February 07, 2015, 01:28:36 pm »
I'm not sure a person's age should matter in the movie business. It's acting, after all. And in this age of makeup and special effects, it should matter even less. I'm remembering that Anne Bancroft did a good job as Dustin Hoffman's mother even though she was only six years older than him in The Graduate. And I could cite many other examples, including our own Heath Ledger, who convincingly aged 20 years in Brokeback Mountain.

His lover, but of his mother's generation. Anyway, yes, that worked, partly because her bone structure makes her look oldish and because she actually was practically playing her age -- the mother of an 18-year-old could pretty easily be 36 or just a year or two above. But he ... well, at 30 he was very convincing as a recent college graduate.

Another example: Sally Field played Tom Hanks' mother and is only 10 years older.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2085 on: February 07, 2015, 01:49:32 pm »
His lover, but of his mother's generation.

Thank you. If she had played his mother, that would have made for an awfully kinky movie!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #2086 on: February 07, 2015, 04:19:00 pm »
Has anyone seen Jupiter Ascending? The trailer looks good but ithas gotten really bad reviews over here.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2087 on: February 07, 2015, 05:15:57 pm »
Has anyone seen Jupiter Ascending? The trailer looks good but ithas gotten really bad reviews over here.

The local reviewer gave it zero out of four stars.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...MAGIC MIKE 2
« Reply #2088 on: February 08, 2015, 03:33:45 pm »
SC,  I hope you will do the BetterMost review of Magic Mike 2.  I stumbled on MM1 quite innocently.  I thought, "OK, 2 hours of eye-candy-- I can handle that."  Then they started talking, and I realized I couldn't stand 2 hours of it.  Then I saw Matt Bomer, looking disoriented and wondering "What in hell am I doing here?"  Good question Matt.  Go back to White  Collar and your hunky FBI boyfriend and the kinky slave anklet he makes  you wear.  You don't belong in this movie!  I can't believe a bunch of men, even straight men, would behave like that.  Does Magic Mike 2 promise even more of this bizarre behaviour?  Or was MM1 all just a gigantic send-up that I stupidly missed?

I don't really understand this objection. Of course men behave like that. Never heard of the Chippendales? I think I read somewhere that the movie was based on a magazine article about such a place.

I'm not a big male-stripper enthusiast, but I thought the movie was pretty good. As for MM2, I'll wait and see what the reviews say.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2089 on: February 08, 2015, 03:35:29 pm »
Still another question, x: why would you be so surprised that men would do that? Surely you're aware that women do it all the time, even if you've never been to a strip club yourself they are a familiar setting in movies. Why is it so hard to believe men would do the same thing as a way to earn money?