Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025878 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...MAGIC MIKE 2
« Reply #2090 on: February 08, 2015, 03:51:57 pm »
I don't really understand this objection. Of course men behave like that. Never heard of the Chippendales? I think I read somewhere that the movie was based on a magazine article about such a place.

And on star Channing Tatum's experiences before he hit it big in Hollywood.

I'm not a big male-stripper enthusiast, but I thought the movie was pretty good. As for MM2, I'll wait and see what the reviews say.

I'll see it if it plays some place I can get to conveniently.

Still another question, x: why would you be so surprised that men would do that? Surely you're aware that women do it all the time, even if you've never been to a strip club yourself they are a familiar setting in movies. Why is it so hard to believe men would do the same thing as a way to earn money?

I regularly see newspaper ads for male "reviews" aimed at women audiences.

And, of course, male strip shows used to be common in that mecca of gay travel, Provincetown, Mass. I saw one there back in the Eighties. The guys weren't nearly as good as the guys in Magic Mike.

I still remember getting a good laugh at the quick shot of big bruiser Joe Manganiello seated at a sewing machine sewing on a thong.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #2091 on: February 08, 2015, 04:30:50 pm »
It was also one of the movies that contributed to the McConaughssance -- Matthew McConaughey's comeback -- a phenomenon that I've found entertaining and inspiring.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2092 on: February 08, 2015, 05:40:52 pm »
It was also one of the movies that contributed to the McConaughssance -- Matthew McConaughey's comeback -- a phenomenon that I've found entertaining and inspiring.

I thought he was very good in that role. He scared me.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2093 on: February 08, 2015, 06:05:15 pm »
Montreal has not one, not two, but four male strip clubs. Oh and another one for women only.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2094 on: February 08, 2015, 06:10:50 pm »
I thought he was very good in that role. He scared me.

Yes! He walked a perfect line between benevolent and scary, simultaneously playing his classic typecast role and subtly caricaturing it. He was like emcee in Cabaret with better abs.

MM is kind of goofy in real-life interviews and awards speeches, but every one of his post McConaughssance roles has been spellbinding.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2095 on: February 08, 2015, 08:01:54 pm »
And, of course, male strip shows used to be common in that mecca of gay travel, Provincetown, Mass. I saw one there back in the Eighties. The guys weren't nearly as good as the guys in Magic Mike.

Sorry, a little OT, but...

I've never even heard of male strip shows in Ptown. Certainly not in the last 20 years.  Now, we have "Well Strung", a clothed chamber group.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2096 on: February 08, 2015, 09:23:21 pm »
I've never even heard of male strip shows in Ptown.
 Certainly not in the last 20 years.

It was the Eighties, and you didn't miss much.

Now, we have "Well Strung", a clothed chamber group.

Clothed, yes, but somebody clearly thinks it's good for business to show off his shoulders and biceps.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2097 on: February 09, 2015, 03:04:23 am »
Has anyone seen Jupiter Ascending? The trailer looks good but it has gotten really bad reviews over here.

I quite liked it--I had a silly grin on my face all the way through. It was fun! I really cannot understand all the hate--especially the hate sent at Mila Kunis. I liked her AND Jupiter Ascending. I also especially liked Magic Mike--I mean Channing Tatum--as 'Caine'.

Jupiter (Mila Kunis) says, yearningly, "But I like dogs!" in re Channing/Caine, who is a genetic 'splice' wolf/human, and I laughed out loud. Caine the wolfman once had bird wings that had been amputated as punishment, so, as is usual with the Wachowski siblings, things are complicated, an over-the-top mish-mash.

I see many influences: Cordwainer Smith's Norstrilia and his bombastic future history ('The Instrumentality of Mankind') with the Underpeople (animals-slash-humans treated as property) that spanned several interlocking stories, novellas and novels; Robert Heinlein's Glory Road, with a soldier of fortune who helps a beautiful young girl (who turns out to be far, far older, and the Empress of the Twenty Universes besides); H. Rider Haggard's She (or more likely the 1965 film starring Ursula Andress and John Richardson)--there are even elements of Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

Oh well--at least it isn't boring!   ;)  ::)  :laugh:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:03:58 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2098 on: February 09, 2015, 10:37:09 am »
I quite liked it--I had a silly grin on my face all the way through. It was fun!

I haven't seen it, but it certainly looked like fun in the TV commercials for it.

And it's got Sean Bean and Magic Mike Channing Tatum.  8)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2099 on: February 09, 2015, 03:12:14 pm »
I haven't seen it, but it certainly looked like fun in the TV commercials for it.

And it's got Sean Bean and Magic Mike Channing Tatum.  8)

Oops! Wrong costume!

That's better! ("But I love dogs--I've always loved dogs!!") WOOF!  ;D ;D

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"