Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025962 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #750 on: February 04, 2008, 11:45:48 am »
Me too. I think it's victim of that Oscar amnesia, where if a movie is released too early it gets overshadowed by the big holiday films. That's the only explanation that makes sense to me, because it is one of my two or three favorite movies from last year.
Oscar Amnesia and lack of Studio support.  Remember that Crash came out very early in the year, everyone had forgotten it (probably a day after seeing it, lol!) but the Studio really pushed it come Oscar time (and every liberal homophobe jumped on it.)   I'm sure 3:10 would have gotten more noms if it had been promoted more.

I actually think the competition will be between Juno and There Will Be Blood. I think people who might be inclined to vote for NCFOM will vote for TWBB instead, because they're very vaguely similar, and while I haven't seen Blood I'm judging by reviews that it's more acclaimed. Juno is something completely different, and will compete on its own terms. So it comes down to whether the voters will be in more of a Little Miss Sunshine mood, in which case Juno will win, or a Departed mood, in which case Blood will win.

When it gets closer to the ceremony, we'll have to place our bets!  :)

I really hope JUNO doesn't win, it will give the right-to-lifers too much amunition.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #751 on: February 04, 2008, 11:49:58 am »
Don't count out "No Country."  Half of Hollywood will be wanting to kiss up to the Coens, and that won't hurt when it comes time to vote.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #752 on: February 06, 2008, 12:57:53 am »

Recently watched Boys On the Side (1995)..

Great casting and chemistry between the three ladies.  Loved it, as well as the movie soundtrack - Indigo Girls, Bonnie Raitt, Melissa Etheridge, Sarah Mclachlan....

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #753 on: February 06, 2008, 07:51:12 am »
I wasn't sure where to post this, but this thread seemed to make sense to me. From the New York Times:

February 6, 2008

Vanity Fair Cancels Its Oscars Party

By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA

Imagine a wedding reception without food, music or Champagne, and you get an inkling of how a lot of Hollywood would view the Oscars without the Vanity Fair party. But Hollywood will no longer have to imagine it — the party is off.

In sympathy with striking writers, Vanity Fair on Tuesday canceled its annual multimillion-dollar must-attend party. There are other parties, but this is the one Oscar-related trapping that has come to rival the main event for a cast of above-the-title stars, assorted billionaires and several hundred of their closest friends.

The editor of Vanity Fair, Graydon Carter, said on Tuesday that canceling was the right thing to do, whether or not there was a breakthrough in talks between the Writers Guild of America and production companies before the Oscar ceremony on Feb. 24.

“A magazine like Vanity Fair is a group of writers and artists, and we are in solidarity with the writers and artists out there,” Mr. Carter said. “Whether the strike is over or not, there are a lot of bruised feelings. I don’t think it’s appropriate for a big magazine from the East to come in and pretend nothing happened.”

He added, “There will be something sort of liberating about ordering Chinese food and watching the Oscars in bed.”

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has pledged that the Oscars will go on, and it has asked the writers not to picket given recent progress in contract talks.

But the guild insists that it will picket, and many stars are expected to skip the event rather than cross a picket line.

Vanity Fair’s invitation-only party — it would have been the 15th — was to begin with dinner for 170 people during the ceremony at Craft restaurant in Century City, Mr. Carter said, and continue into the early morning with 650 to 700 people.

Someone cruising through last year’s party could have seen Oprah Winfrey chatting with John Travolta, Ellen DeGeneres with Sacha Baron Cohen, or Martin Scorsese with John Singleton.

For the stars, arrival at the party offers the second red carpet walk of the day, complete with cameras. Many women change gowns between the Oscars and the party.

“The Vanity Fair party is the crown jewel,” said Leslee Dart, the publicist, who has several clients up for awards. “It’s the party everybody wants to go to. At 1 and 2 in the morning, it’s still going on strong. I started getting calls a month ago from people saying, ‘Can you help me get into the Vanity Fair Party?’ ”

At the annual lunch for nominees in Beverly Hills on Monday, Sidney Ganis, the academy’s president, urged the group — including the actors George Clooney, Viggo Mortensen and Laura Linney — to show up and claim their awards. He joked that official certificates of nomination would carry the legend “Must be present to win.”

Even if the sides continue to move toward a settlement of the three-month-old strike, it appeared unlikely that the walkout would end before the middle of next week. That leaves academy officials planning for alternatives — one with a full complement of nominees, one without.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/06/business/media/06vanity.html?_r=1&ref=media&oref=slogin
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #754 on: February 06, 2008, 12:17:45 pm »
I wasn't sure where to post this, but this thread seemed to make sense to me. From the New York Times:

February 6, 2008

Vanity Fair Cancels Its Oscars Party

By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA

Imagine a wedding reception without food, music or Champagne, and you get an inkling of how a lot of Hollywood would view the Oscars without the Vanity Fair party. But Hollywood will no longer have to imagine it — the party is off.

In sympathy with striking writers, Vanity Fair on Tuesday canceled its annual multimillion-dollar must-attend party. There are other parties, but this is the one Oscar-related trapping that has come to rival the main event for a cast of above-the-title stars, assorted billionaires and several hundred of their closest friends.

The editor of Vanity Fair, Graydon Carter, said on Tuesday that canceling was the right thing to do, whether or not there was a breakthrough in talks between the Writers Guild of America and production companies before the Oscar ceremony on Feb. 24.

“A magazine like Vanity Fair is a group of writers and artists, and we are in solidarity with the writers and artists out there,” Mr. Carter said. “Whether the strike is over or not, there are a lot of bruised feelings. I don’t think it’s appropriate for a big magazine from the East to come in and pretend nothing happened.”

He added, “There will be something sort of liberating about ordering Chinese food and watching the Oscars in bed.”

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has pledged that the Oscars will go on, and it has asked the writers not to picket given recent progress in contract talks.

But the guild insists that it will picket, and many stars are expected to skip the event rather than cross a picket line.

Vanity Fair’s invitation-only party — it would have been the 15th — was to begin with dinner for 170 people during the ceremony at Craft restaurant in Century City, Mr. Carter said, and continue into the early morning with 650 to 700 people.

Someone cruising through last year’s party could have seen Oprah Winfrey chatting with John Travolta, Ellen DeGeneres with Sacha Baron Cohen, or Martin Scorsese with John Singleton.

For the stars, arrival at the party offers the second red carpet walk of the day, complete with cameras. Many women change gowns between the Oscars and the party.

“The Vanity Fair party is the crown jewel,” said Leslee Dart, the publicist, who has several clients up for awards. “It’s the party everybody wants to go to. At 1 and 2 in the morning, it’s still going on strong. I started getting calls a month ago from people saying, ‘Can you help me get into the Vanity Fair Party?’ ”

At the annual lunch for nominees in Beverly Hills on Monday, Sidney Ganis, the academy’s president, urged the group — including the actors George Clooney, Viggo Mortensen and Laura Linney — to show up and claim their awards. He joked that official certificates of nomination would carry the legend “Must be present to win.”

Even if the sides continue to move toward a settlement of the three-month-old strike, it appeared unlikely that the walkout would end before the middle of next week. That leaves academy officials planning for alternatives — one with a full complement of nominees, one without.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/06/business/media/06vanity.html?_r=1&ref=media&oref=slogin

Damn!  I bought a new outfit and everything!!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #755 on: February 06, 2008, 05:14:30 pm »

Recently watched Last of the Blonde Bombshells (2000) starring Dame Dench(bought the movie 'cause of her).
I thought it was good but Judy made it even more worth it.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #756 on: February 07, 2008, 09:45:51 am »
I watched Latter Days yesterday. It one way, it has every cliche and stereotype in the book. In another way, it's a very good movie. I'd recommend it.

The two leads have a very hot sex scene with lots of long legs and chiseled abs. Definitely worth seeing! LOL. My favorite line (right after the sex scene):

Chris: "I thought you'd be more...y'know, reticent."

Aaron: "Well, I'm already going to Hell for kissing you, so I may as well take the scenic route."

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #757 on: February 07, 2008, 01:05:13 pm »
After meaning to watch it for a long time, I finally got the movie Aimee & Jaguar(1999) and watched it last night.

I'll have to re-watch it again real soon because there were places where the subtitles disappeared so fast I think I missed some words, lol.

Aimée & Jaguar is a 1999 German war and drama film set during World War II. It was written and directed by Max Färberböck, based upon Erica Fischer's book, chronicling the actual lives of Lilly Wust and Felice Schragenheim during that time period. [Wikipedia]

Berlin 1943/44 ("The Battle of Berlin"). Felice, an intelligent and courageous Jewish woman who lives under a false name, belongs to an underground organization. Lilly, a devoted mother of four, though an occasional unfaithful wife, is desperate for love. An unusual and passionate love between them blossoms despite the danger of persecution and nightly bombing raids. The Gestapo is on Felice's trail. Her friends flee, she decides to sit out the war with Lilly. One hot day in August 1944, the Gestapo is waiting in Lilly's flat...[Imdb Summary]

Highly recommended!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #758 on: February 07, 2008, 01:22:52 pm »
I watched Latter Days yesterday. It one way, it has every cliche and stereotype in the book. In another way, it's a very good movie. I'd recommend it.

The two leads have a very hot sex scene with lots of long legs and chiseled abs. Definitely worth seeing! LOL. My favorite line (right after the sex scene):

Chris: "I thought you'd be more...y'know, reticent."

Aaron: "Well, I'm already going to Hell for kissing you, so I may as well take the scenic route."

L

You're right, Leslie - LATTER DAYS does have every cliche and stereotype in the book - I think it's intentional - that and the low production value somehow are part of its charm for me.  I guess I like it so well because I can feel the emotional connection between Aaron and Christian and Christian's pain.  The scene when Christian visits Sister Davis hits my heart hard.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline oilgun

« Reply #759 on: February 08, 2008, 12:16:21 am »
An interesting article on the most anticipated book to film adaptations.

http://themovie-fanatic.com/tmf_top_50/books_to_films_hitlist/books_to_movies_part1/

Excerpt:
I love reading books! Some may say it's a dying media- with the internet and all- but the pleasure you get from reading is hard to experience in other, perhaps more modern form. Doubling the pleasure is when a favorite book is adapted on the big screen!

While some of the most engrossing films are based on original scripts, there are some equally awesome movies which are based on adaptations of some of today's best-selling novels and non-fiction books. In this feature, we listed 50 of the most anticipated book to movie adaptations for 2008 and beyond.

The list is quite diverse- thrillers and horror, coming-of-age, fantasy and adventure, classics, romantic novels, crime and drama. Some of them are currently 'works in progress' and soon to be released, while some are still at the stage of being optioned by various extremely excited filmmakers and producers.