Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025576 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #840 on: March 08, 2008, 10:14:23 am »
Me sowwy.   :(  I've not seen Beowulf, so I don't have much to say about it. 

It's okay, gary. So, go to your Blockbuster and get it, will ya? After being in New York for the big splashy premiere of Beowulf, I returned to my humble hometown of Denver all jazzed to see the movie. I was so thrilled that somebody had actually made a movie of this epic tale from the medieval Northern Isles that is the underpinning of so much of our literature and culture. Actually, a dirty little secret here. I have never actually read the book. But now that I have seen the movie, I want to read the book right away. I enlisted my son to go with me to the movie because he had just studied the book in school. But, a complication arose. He did not want to see the movie. Apparently, my husband had read a review about how bad it was, and also it is unrated but there was some adult content. So my son refused to go with me and since it takes an Act of God for me to actually see a movie other than BBM in a movie theater, I didn't go either. So, when the movie came out on DVD this past week, I was full of pent-up anticipation to see it!! Okay, who else has seen it???
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #841 on: March 08, 2008, 11:07:30 am »
Great, susie! Okay, I will try not to spill any spoilers for a while. But, be forewarned, this movie has lots of violence (however, it's cgi comic book type violence, zap, pow that kind of thing). And it is somewhat raunchy, especially at the beginning. Oh, and you have to look at Angelina Jolie wearing high heels and nothing else. But other than that, it's a lot of fun and the story and characters are amazing. Added to that, the camera work, sets, and action are literally out of this world!!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #842 on: March 08, 2008, 12:34:24 pm »
I didn't see Beowulf either, but a friend of mine - the teacher - read the story - and she was disgusted at the preview of the movie because it had nothing in it that was from the story.

Most of the reviews I read also said the only things taken from the story were the three main character, the hero, Grendel and his mother and the fact that there is a battle and that's pretty much it.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #843 on: March 08, 2008, 12:40:36 pm »
there was some adult content. So my son refused to go with me

Does your son refuse to see movies with adult content?? Or does he refuse to see movies with adult content ... with you?

If it's the latter, my sons are exactly the same way. If it's the former, my sons are exactly the opposite (they refuse to see movies that don't have at least some violence -- or, as they like to call it, "action").

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #844 on: March 08, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »
I, too, liked Everything Is Illuminated, Meryl.  But I hadn't heard anything about The Oxford Murders.  I'll be on the look out for it.  Interesting title.  Is it a murder mystery?  I love a good murder mystery.  Thanks for telling us about it.

Yes, it's a murder mystery set at Oxford. The serial murderer leaves clues that have meaning to mathematics experts.  John Hurt is a professor of mathematics and Elijah plays a gifted student.  I read the book and thought it was diverting, but not great.  But the setting is beautiful, and of course, so is Elijah.  8)

Don't hate me, but I really didn't like Elijah Wood's performance in Everything is Illuminated.  Although his portrayal of the character was more sympathetic than the arrogant one in the book.

Arrogant?  I don't remember that character striking me that way.  I loved how funny the book was, as well as moving.  I don't hate you, oilgun, but as an Elijah groupie, I must respectfully disagree.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #845 on: March 09, 2008, 07:40:34 pm »
I saw In Bruges late yesterday afternoon.

I mostly wanted to see it because I was "in Bruges" last year at this time, when they were filming the movie. In that way, I wasn't disappointed. Lovely scenes of the city and it brought back good memories.

Storywise, it was good, but not great. It starts off in a light vein and then takes a dark turn with a fairly violent, bloody ending. I was prepared for that from having read the reviews. I am glad I saw it but it is a "once is enough" movie for me.

Lots of jokes that pick on Belgium, though.  >:(

L

Just came from seeing In Bruges.  I thought it was very good.

IMO, I don't believe it ever started on a lighter vein.  I thought that it would too - that's what all the previews I watched seemed to indicate - but it never did.  The mood of the movie is somber from start to finish with some blackly funny moments thrown in.  It's not for everyone - lady beside me in the theater was upset - but my friend and I and others in the theater enjoyed it a great deal.

Beautifully shot scenery of Bruges.  Made me want to go visit.  ;D

I do recommend this movie but be warned, it may not be to everyone's taste.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #846 on: March 09, 2008, 08:32:16 pm »
Does your son refuse to see movies with adult content?? Or does he refuse to see movies with adult content ... with you?

If it's the latter, my sons are exactly the same way. If it's the former, my sons are exactly the opposite (they refuse to see movies that don't have at least some violence -- or, as they like to call it, "action").

LOL, the latter, ineed. By adult content, I mean sex and nudity. Violence seems to be omnipresent, even in Bugs Bunny cartoons. (The wily coyote/roadrunner ones are vicious!) In Beowulf, the violence is scattered thruout, but there are also some raunchy scenes and we get to see a full FRontal Angelina Jolie wearing just some spatterings of mud and high heels!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #847 on: March 09, 2008, 09:35:42 pm »
Delalluvia , that's the impression I got from the trailer of IN BRUGE.  My friend said, "This is suppose to be a comedy?"  The preview did not give me that impression.

I saw the THE OTHER BOYLEYN GIRL on Saturday.  The reviews had been lousy, so I wasn't expecting much.  Of course, I knew how it was going to end.  :(  Anne was less of a shrew in this film then what I've read about her. Favorite Anne Boyleyn movie remains ANNE OF A THOUSAND DAYS. Her sister, Mary, wasn't even in that film.  I heard THE OTHE BOYLEYN GIRL doesn't follow the book that closely. Natalie Portman does look good in that green dress.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #848 on: March 09, 2008, 10:21:27 pm »

I do recommend this movie but be warned, it may not be to everyone's taste.

I concur.

And Bruges is a wonderful place to visit.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #849 on: March 09, 2008, 10:23:22 pm »
LOL, the latter, ineed. By adult content, I mean sex and nudity. Violence seems to be omnipresent, even in Bugs Bunny cartoons. (The wily coyote/roadrunner ones are vicious!) In Beowulf, the violence is scattered thruout, but there are also some raunchy scenes and we get to see a full FRontal Angelina Jolie wearing just some spatterings of mud and high heels!

I have no interest in watching Angelina Jolie ever, in a movie, no matter what she is wearing (or not!)...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!