Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1040540 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #930 on: May 12, 2008, 01:41:07 pm »
Anyone else seen Iron Man yet?

Will anyone still love me if I admit I've not only seen it, I've seen it twice?  ::)

I still love you, Barb! I saw it yesterday. I thought the plot was preposterous but Robert Downey Jr. was just fabulous. He really makes the movie (the other actors were fine, too).

So if my sons watch it again, I'll probably watch it twice, myself. And I'm looking forward to the sequel!

(Will YOU still love ME if I confess that Robert Downey Jr.'s was my favorite performance in Zodiac  :-X ? Or are them fightin words?)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #931 on: May 12, 2008, 01:43:08 pm »
(Will YOU still love ME if I confess that Robert Downey Jr.'s was my favorite performance in Zodiac  :-X ? Or are them fightin words?)

Now more than ever.   :-*

<--- Adores Robert Downey Jr. (and loved him in Zodiac)
No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #932 on: May 12, 2008, 02:20:03 pm »
I haven't seen Iron Man but I agree, RD jr. was the best performance in Zodiac.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #933 on: May 13, 2008, 01:55:06 am »
I would like to see "Before The Rains".  I think this looks good.  Yet another tale of forbidden love...

Opens this week (here in the Bay Area anyways...)

Trailer

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q37yxRpKzx0[/youtube]

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #934 on: May 13, 2008, 06:00:28 pm »
I also *love* Robert Downey, Jr.  He was very good in A SCANNER DARKLY also... 8)

Now that I've glommed seven seasons of BUFFY, five of ANGEL, SERENITY, FIREFLY, BONES... ::)  ::), I am getting back to watching movies!

Here are the movies I've seen this week and briefly my opinion...

STREET KINGS - This was a very predictable action movie with cookie cutter police procedural characters...I was hoping it would be more like LA CONFIDENTIAL, but it just didn't hold up.

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN - I was disappointed in this for some reason but I want to read the book now.  I liked how some of the violence occurring off-screen made it seem even more chilling to me.  The ending, however, seemed in a sense to be contrived.

CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR - I absolutely loved it...watched it twice even...Aaron Sorkin is a terrific screenwriter.

LIONS FOR LAMBS - I really liked it and I'm still thinking about it today.  It was profoundly disturbing to me to watch the CNN-like news ticker scroll past.  Meryl Streep's character had me believing in her to that point.

SWEENY TODD - Another absolute love.  Johnny Depp and  Helena Bonham Carter are super fabulous.  I kept putting this off because I wasn't 'in the mood for a musical'!  My bad, because it was such a twisted story and was very intriguing to watch this horror musical unfold.  I was so captivated I watched all the DVD extras too!  Tim Burton is a genius.

Lynne
 8)

In the queue for later this week:  RENDITION!

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline oilgun

« Reply #935 on: May 13, 2008, 06:20:11 pm »
So, did everyone get their DVD copy of I'M NOT THERE ?  It was released today and I was thrilled to see that it's a 2-disc edition, thank you Weinstein bros! :

Disc 1:
-Feature Commentary with Todd Haynes
EDIT- Note: Probably the most intelligent & insightful commentary I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.  A couple of heartbreaking Heath moments, at one point TH mentions that it's the first time he's seeing the film since Heath's death and that it's almost too much to handle.
-On-screen song lyrics
EDIT- Note: Option to have the lyrics appear on the screen while watching the film.
-Song Selection
-Introduction to the film
EDIT- Note: The intro is just a series of pages of on-screen text explaining the concept of the film along with short descriptions of each Dylan incarnation.

Disc 2:
-Deleted Scenes
-Alternate/extended Scenes
-Outtakes
-Auditions
-A conversation with TH
-Making the Soundtrack
-The red carpet premiere
-Trailer Gallery
-Still Galleries
-A "Dylanography"
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:55:56 pm by oilgun »

Offline oilgun

« Reply #936 on: May 18, 2008, 08:29:29 am »
Just saw the madcap Spanish comedy CHUECATOWN (aka: BOYSTOWN) and thought it was great fun!  A psychotic Real Estate agent is killing off little old ladies in the gay village so he can renovate their apartments and sell them to young gay couples.  A sort of neighbourhood gay-ification plan.  It stars Carlos Fuentes, that cutie from Km.0, who has since packed on the pounds and turned into a cuddly bear.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #937 on: May 18, 2008, 09:10:15 pm »
Prince Caspian:  the Chronicles of Narnia.

8.5 out of 10

Very enjoyable.  I think a great many liberties were taken with the story, but it's one of those book-was-good-movie- was-different-but-just-as-good things.  Christian folk are not likely to be as thrilled over this episode as the last.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #938 on: May 18, 2008, 09:22:19 pm »
Thanks for all the great info about movies on this thread! If I ever get a chance to watch a movie again, I'll be sure to check your recommendations ahead of time!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline BelAir

« Reply #939 on: May 20, 2008, 09:56:48 am »
I saw Iron Man this weekend....

Ummm, if it had been say Ben Affleck in the role of Iron Man, I wouldn't have watched, and probably not enjoyed.

Anyhoow - RDJ was great fun, and I also enjoyed seeing Gwenyth Paltrow and Jeff Bridges (and even J. Favreau in his little cameo role)....  While I realize Iron Man had to have something to fight and spur his transformation, I could have done without the 'war against terror' plot.

I got my I'm Not There DVDs yesterday!  (Not sure when I'll watch, but glad to have them, regardless.)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."