Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025095 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« on: October 21, 2006, 10:27:34 am »
My dear JennyC mentioned in chat last night that we should really resurrect the movies thread we had going a while back.  Being too lazy to actually find that thread, I'll just start another one if you all don't mind.

I've been a theater-going fool lately, ever since I discovered the highly secure children's playroom my local Muvico theater provides and found that Will *loves* it and in fact prefers going there over seeing a movie (must be his father's son on that one).  They have all kinds of computers and computer games for little kids, they show a Disney movie on a big-screen TV continuously (oh, well - gotta take the good with the bad), they have a chest full of costumes for them to play dress-up, which Will has decided he really likes doing - I've found him running around in fireman garb when I've gone to pick him up more times than I can count...  It's all good.

ANYway, here is the litany of movies I've seen since making this discovery:

The Illusionist - liked it a lot

The Black Dahlia - didn't like it at all

The Departed - liked it a lot

The Devil Wears Prada - liked it

Little Miss Sunshine - liked it a lot

Today, for lack of anything better playing at this theater, I'm going to see "Flicka," mostly because I'm one of those weirdos who always loves the following movie genres, no matter how bad the resulting movies may be:

Movies about horses

Movies about baseball (even though I couldn't actually care less about baseball)

Movies about serial killers (don't ask me why on that one)

So what movies have you all seen lately in the theaters or on DVD that you've liked/hated/would recommend?

I'd recommend all of the above except for The Black Dahlia, but none of them knocked my socks off.  I keep waiting for that to happen since Brokeback, and it ain't yet.  But I'm hopeful.

Movies I'm looking forward to seeing:

Sherrybaby

Infamous (hopefully this week on that one)

Running With Scissors (opens next Friday here)

You?
No more beans!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:39:20 am »
I think I'm gonna go see Flicka too.  Mmmmm, Tim McGraw....  :P :D

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 12:53:16 pm »
Prior to BbM, Flicka would have never entered my consiousness to see. Now, I'm counting the days for it.

Good idea Barb to resurrect the movie thread. I would love to see the level of analysis (if not the love) we bestowed on BbM directed towards some other flicks.

Someone pick one...or two.

Heathen

Offline jura86

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 03:58:40 pm »
I've been a cinema junkie recently too. I saw The Departed and thought it was brilliant! Perhaps not a classic like "Goodfellas" but still had me interested and entertained throughout. Went to see World Trade Center the other day, which I thought was awful, not at all moving, the story was very strangely told, I just couldn't connect with any of the characters. Also saw Children of Men a few weeks ago - I know that its not coming out in the US for a while - but when it does, I urge you all to see it. Wasn't perfect, but thought-provoking - the idea of a world without children is very creepy indeed... Also saw The Queen which I really enjoyed, very amusing!

As for upcoming films I'm really looking forward to seeing Bobby - what an amazing cast! Wanna see The Good Shepherd, The Prestige and Babel too.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 04:45:07 pm »
Also saw Children of Men a few weeks ago - I know that its not coming out in the US for a while - but when it does, I urge you all to see it. Wasn't perfect, but thought-provoking - the idea of a world without children is very creepy indeed...

I just got back from the cinema where we saw this movie. Depressing and creepy indeed, but with a glimmer of hope at the end. I thought it was very well made and a good performance by Clive Owen.

I saw Thank You For Smoking last week. Very good, sarcastic, funny and thought provoking too.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 09:56:52 pm »
You know, I actually saw The Departed twice (my husband hadn't seen it with me the first time).  And on my second viewing, I did appreciate Leonard DiCaprio's work much more.  And Matt Damon's much less.  The latter was really just playing Bad Will Hunting.  The character was very charming, but then so was Will Hunting.  Meanwhile, I didn't see any of Howard Hughes in Leo's Billy Costigan.  At least he's capable of stretching.

I thoroughly enjoyed Flicka today.  A bit predictable at times, but excellent performances throughout, and fairly true to the short story except it was a girl not a boy who tried to tame him.  And all the horses were *gorgeous* - especially Flicka.  He put Black Beauty to shame.

Tim McGraw was especially good.  I'll tell you what - these country singers (for the most part) have got it going on.  Dwight Yoakum blew me away in "Sling Blade," and McGraw was equally intimidating here, but in a much less violent way.  It's funny - just looking at a still shot of McGraw doesn't do much for me, but he's so magnetic in these roles that you can't help but go... "Ooh."

I agree with you, Jura, about World Trade Center.  I was pretty underwhelmed by it.  The women were good, but there was way too little of them to allow you to really connect with them.  And I think Oliver Stone (of all people) was trying too hard to be tasteful, and in so doing sacrificed an already compelling story.  United 93 is the movie you want to see if you want to really get in touch with the magnitude of the loss we experienced that day.  I still shudder thinking about a couple aspects of it.

I'm looking forward to The Good German (as opposed to The Good Shepherd - sorry - on Matt Damon overload lately - I might have to pass on that one).  That's the one where Tobey Maguire actually plays a (mostly) bad guy.  I know he's been on a couple of your most hated actors lists, but dammit, I think the boy can act.  I love him in the Spider-Man movies - I love how really subtle he is, especially when he's first realizing the extent of his new-found powers in the first one.  And I loved him in Pleasantville and The Ice Storm, too.

Speaking of horse movies again, I think Sea Biscuit was my favorite one of all time, mostly because it captured the extraordinary personality of that horse.  And the race sequences were truly thrilling.  That real-like jockey - what is his name? - stole the show.  Talk about magnetic.  I'm not usually one for really short men, but WOW.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 09:59:20 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 01:24:38 am »
Dwight Yoakam is THE MAN.  Not only is he one of my favorite CW singers, he's a great actor too.  Check him out in THE THREE BURIALS OF MELQUIADES ESTRADA, where Tommy Lee Jones gives an excellent performance as well. 

Back in March, several Century Theatres locations paired BBM with THREE BURIALS as a double feature!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 11:17:09 am »
saw The Departed twice (my husband hadn't seen it with me the first time).  And on my second viewing, I did appreciate Leonard DiCaprio's work much more.  And Matt Damon's much less.  The latter was really just playing Bad Will Hunting.

Barb - I'm glad to read this.  I was going to take issue w/ your first assessment but got sidetracked somewhere along the way & never did.  I loved DiCaprio in The Dparted - actual made me know how he was feeling - w/ Damon - what the hell was he feeling??  I loved this film - not in the realm of Brokeback, but then I truly believe nothing else ever will.

Eric  - Having said that, The Three Burials is the only other movie I even went to while Brokeback was in theaters (saw it once - Brokeback 17 times) and I loved it as well.  Own it also.  The scene with the Blind Rancher - very thought provoking.

Also thouroughly enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine - my sons wanted me to go to that with them (Hmmmmmmm).  Actually laughed out loud.

Planning on seeing The Prestige at some point...

"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline jura86

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 06:57:33 pm »
Also thouroughly enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine - my sons wanted me to go to that with them (Hmmmmmmm).  Actually laughed out loud.

Little Miss Sunshine was brilliant! Will defnitely add that one to my dvd collection when it comes out...

I was surprised too ednbarby by what Oliver Stone did with WTC - I have only just recently watched JFK for the first time, and really enjoyed it - of course it is completey historically inaccurate, but was entertaining nevertheless, and full of great performances, which just made WTC all the more disappointing by comparison. I guess it must be a reactionary thing, Stone was convinced that Alexander was a flop because America is homophobic, which probably isn't true, it just flopped because it was a poor film. I guess he was aiming this one directly at the audiences he supposedly lost last time round.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 12:10:48 am »
Saw The Prestige today... it was good, not great, but I enjoyed it. It was smarter than the Illusionist and the ending wasn't quite as predictable, but even given that I still enjoyed The Illusionist more.

Christian Bale gives a good performance, though I wouldn't say it's his best. Hugh Jackman was very good. Scarlett Johansen once again convinced me that she is plastic and she gets steadily worse with every movie since the Island. I think it's worth seeing, but don't expect it to blow you away. And I think the beginning is messy. I'm not sure if that makes sense, maybe it will when you see it...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73