Author Topic: I cant believe I am reading this in the 21st century  (Read 6657 times)

Offline a_r2006

• Jr. Ranch Hand
I cant believe I am reading this in the 21st century
« on: October 21, 2006, 11:55:08 am »
This was posted on IMDB by our resident troll Tiger.I don't know whether it is a figment of his imagination but it certainly makes my blood boil !

Oppose 'deviant' love, Pope urges

Oppose 'deviant' love, Pope urges
Last updated at 18:46pm on 19th October 2006

Pope Benedict today urged Italian Catholics to defend the traditional family and in an apparent reference to gay marriage said they should oppose any moves to legalise "weak and deviant" unions.

The Pope made his comments in a long, wide ranging speech to a national convention of Italy's politically powerful Roman Catholic Church in the northern Italian city of Verona, famous as the setting for Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet."

While he did not specifically mention gay marriage, thousands of listeners at the fairgrounds in Verona's outskirts strongly applauded the two parts of his speech about the family and "other forms of unions."

He urged them to fight "with determination...the risk of political and legislative decisions that contradict fundamental values and anthropological and ethical principles rooted in human nature."

The Pope said they had to defend "the family based on matrimony, opposing the introduction of laws on other forms of unions which would only destabilise it and obscure its special character and its social role, which has no substitute."

In another section of his speech, the Pope made another apparent reference to homosexual marriage, stating that the Church had to say "'no' to weak and deviant forms of love."

He said the Church wanted instead to say "'yes' to authentic love, to the reality of man as he was created by God."

Since his election in April 2005, Benedict has firmly backed the Roman Catholic Church's strong opposition to moves to legalise gay marriage or to legally recognise unwed heterosexual couples.

The centre-left coalition of Prime Minister Romano Prodi has promised some form of recognition for unmarried couples but has so far stopped short of openly supporting gay marriage.

But some leftist parties in the coalition, which ranges from Catholics to communists, back greater rights for homosexuals, including marriage.

Some in the centre left support a legal recognition similar to that in France, which in 1999 granted all couples the right to form civil unions.

Civil unions entitle them to joint social security, limited inheritance rights and other benefits.

Italy's Catholic Church opposes this, saying it will weaken traditional marriage and the traditional family.

Prodi, a practicing Catholic, was due to attend a papal mass at the Verona stadium later on Thursday.

In his address to the Catholic convention, the Pope was also applauded when he said the Church had to continue to defend "life in all its phases, from conception until natural death."

He said the Church did not want to be "a political agent" but wanted to help shape social policy.

The Pope backed the Italian Church's demands for more state funding for Catholic schools, saying that they were still subjected to "ancient prejudices," that were unjustifiable.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: I cant believe I am reading this in the 21st century
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 12:59:14 pm »
In this instance, it seems Tiger has the gist of it correct:

http://www.gaywired.com/article.cfm?section=9&id=11186

Sad and frustrating and completly unacceptable.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 08:40:28 pm »
He said the Church did not want to be "a political agent" but wanted to help shape social policy.

Oh yeah. Don't make me f**king laugh. Yet another official body (religious or otherwise) that supports political injustices and then retreats as soon as it has to answer to the effects of these policies. So social policy and politics are somehow different are they? Hmmmm... Don't even get me started on the Roman Catholic Church. As agents of wisespread human misery they are practically unmatched.

As for Tiger... dear Lord, is he still banging on in his inimitably incoherent and inarticulate manner about how much he hates "fags"? He really outa get out of his bedroom once in a while...
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 01:22:09 am »
Oh yeah. Don't make me f**king laugh. Yet another official body (religious or otherwise) that supports political injustices and then retreats as soon as it has to answer to the effects of these policies. So social policy and politics are somehow different are they? Hmmmm... Don't even get me started on the Roman Catholic Church. As agents of wisespread human misery they are practically unmatched.

Well said.  They're all about helping others until someone actually has to pay for it.  Then they retire to their priceless art and gold encrusted city.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 01:29:35 am »
God.  :P

I thought Tigernator and Foxinator disappeared from IMDb. They're still at it, I see.  >:(

They put us through hell on earth last winter.

It worked out pretty well though. If it hadn't been for them, I may have never ended up over here!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 08:23:58 am »
God.  :P

I thought Tigernator and Foxinator disappeared from IMDb. They're still at it, I see.  >:(

They put us through hell on earth last winter.

It worked out pretty well though. If it hadn't been for them, I may have never ended up over here!  :D

Me too David. :D It's sad to see how depleted the BBM board is on IMdB now. It used to be quite a thriving little community. One of the database managers at IMdB is a good friend of mine and I told him about the troll situation and innocent threads getting deleted left, right and centre and I know he brought it up at one of their weekly managers meetings, but sadly it seems they've been unable to resolve the situation. Thank goodness for the sterling work of the moderators here at Bettermost - we salute you for keeping us troll-free! :-*

Offline David

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 03:50:27 pm »
It is a well known fact that after marriage most couples have less sex than before.   So if the Pope wants to stop Gay people from having deviant sex, he should just legalize same-sex Marriage!    :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 03:29:58 pm »
David, that reminds me of a New Yorker cartoon I saw recently. A guy says to his wife, "So gays want marriage now; haven't they suffered enough?"
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 03:39:03 pm »
David, that reminds me of a New Yorker cartoon I saw recently. A guy says to his wife, "So gays want marriage now; haven't they suffered enough?"

:laugh: ..Ok that is funny.

Scott6373

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 03:40:50 pm »
I keep telling my straight friends...why be so afraid of gay marriage...we couldn't screw it up any more than you folk did.

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 05:52:47 pm »
Amen!!!  There is so much divorce today.  There is no "normal" or traditional family.  Some occur because of choices some occur because they have to.  As long as two people love each other and are committed to having a family whose business should it be.  I am Catholic and I do not subscribe to the say no to the deviant lifestyle.  As a practing Catholic anything other than being in church on your knees is deviant.  They are in the middle of "normal" marriages.  I can remember being taught that sex was for procreation only not for fun.  Then I found out otherwise.  My husband and I did the no birth control thing and soon decided that is was not for us.  I do not promote abortion, but I believe a person has a right.  I believe that we should love one another.  We are in this together.  I believe in free will.  As long as you are a good person and are good to people and try to be an honest and loving person, then you are Godly.  When people do not understand something they are scared of it. 
I wish I knew how to quit you.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 04:33:26 am »
What burns me up is that Ratzo is simultaneously so soft on paedophile priests. In his latest wrist-slap, he called their crimes "a tragedy". And a Google on the topic brings up his reaction when the scandal first broke, that it was a beat-up by the media gunning for the Catholic Church (shoot the messenger), because "only one percent" of priests are paedophiles.

“I am personally convinced that the constant presence in the press of the sins of Catholic priests, especially in the United States, is a planned campaign, as the percentage of these offences among priests is not higher than in other categories, and perhaps it is even lower.

“In the United States, there is constant news on this topic, but less than 1% of priests are guilty of acts of this type. The constant presence of these news items does not correspond to the objectivity of the information nor to the statistical objectivity of the facts.

“Therefore, one comes to the conclusion that it is intentional, manipulated, that there is a desire to discredit the Church. It is a logical and well-founded conclusion.”

One in a hundred? That's considerably higher than the lay population, and it would mean there's several in every large city, and there must have been hundreds at JP2's funeral.

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 09:13:35 am »
As a practing Catholic anything other than being in church on your knees is deviant.  I can remember being taught that sex was for procreation only not for fun.

Exactly. This is my main objections to the teachings of the Catholic Church. It just sets people up for a lifelong sense of failure. I fail to see how this attitude can possibly contribute to a Godly and peaceful society. And we're not the only animal to use sex for purposes other than procreation - chimpanzees use it to bond and to relieve stress.

As long as you are a good person and are good to people and try to be an honest and loving person, then you are Godly. 

Amen! Going into a Church doesn't mean diddly. It's how you conduct yourself in your everyday life that defines your relationship to God.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 05:22:40 am »
It is a well known fact that after marriage most couples have less sex than before.   So if the Pope wants to stop Gay people from having deviant sex, he should just legalize same-sex Marriage!    :laugh:

Exactly!

OP: I live in a traditionally Catholic country, France, which still doesn't have gay marriage. I maintain what I said before, that France is an overall homophobic country, and yeah, I am NOT in the LEAST surprised that this Pope, or any Pope for that matter, should say things like that. Hell, they even oppose using condoms! Their only credo is abstinence if you want to avoid unwanted pregnancy, or AIDS or any STD. Indeed, sex is not for fun, according to them.
I never did sympathize much with any (monotheistic) religion.

But even if marriage is a disaster, and raising kids makes you wonder why you wanted them in the first place, sometimes, I still think EVERYONE should have the same rights, even if they choose not to enjoy them.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"