Author Topic: 11/28/14 Brokeback Mountain Radio is back on the air!  (Read 44186 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: 11/28/14 Brokeback Mountain Radio is back on the air!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 02:21:48 pm »
Eric, I can't listen to BBM radio on my iphone any more.   :(

It says it's for VIPs only.

Is it temporary, or will it never be free any more?

Sorry, it's VIP only from now on from here......   :(

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 05:50:49 pm »
Oh, that's too bad.

I've enjoyed it a lot, but not sure I'm prepared to pay for it.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: 11/28/14 Brokeback Mountain Radio is back on the air! RETHINK NECESSARY
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 06:30:14 am »
Am I missing something here?  Does it still cost $17 a year to listen to it?  Has the play list STILL not been changed for years?  BBM Radio used to be on for me almost 24 hours a day.  I was impressed at the way the DJs could select other C&W songs that could be linked to BBM, or used ambiguous gender references to make it easy for us who do not fit into the relentlessly straight C&W world to relate to the music.  But then I got so I recognized all the playlists, and could tell which song was coming next. I started getting the songs I like on iTunes, and since I was listening to it specifically for its gay content, I began discovering lots of extremely good gay and other LGBT performers.  I now have a better gay oriented music collection than BBM Radio does, and it wasn't that expensive.  I decided I didn't need to pay that much money to 365 for what I wanted.  Dropping it made me a little sad, because BBM Radio was what brought me to BetterMost in the beginning.

Also I noticed that suggestions about songs made either to this topic site or to the facility on BBMR itself were ignored.  And maybe BBMR should ask itself if it needs to be so obsessively C&W--is the real issue promoting C&W (There are hundreds if not thousands of these stations) or promoting music about gender and orientation diversity--which there are none of on 354 in spite of the fact that they will offer you some stations if you punch in "gay."
I offered as suggestions, singers like John Grant (Queen of Denmark) Matt Alber--several albums, more of Mark Weigle--who in my opinion is the singer/songwriter of record for the LGBT community.  But never a reply from the moderators of this topic site, and never a change in the playlist.

Too much money, outdated playlists, and perhaps an outdated attitude--BBMR maybe you need a rethink.  So I genuinely ask: Has anything changed on BBM Radio?  Can you give me a reason to sign up again?  To be blunt, I am suggesting that BBM is a very 2nd-rate music site--one no one wants to criticize because it is connected to BBM, and is thus beyond criticism.  Let's be more realistic and demand that the site be of the same quality as BetterMost.Net.

BTW,  Isn't it time to rethink the ban on Willie Nelson's  He was a Friend of Mine?  It WAS, after all the version in the movie.  How could Nelson be THAT homophobic if he allowed his version of the song to be used in the movie?  He certainly knew what the movie was about.  And let's face it, Nelson's version is by far the best one.  Dylan's sucks.  Anyway, listening to Nelson's Friend of Mine on BBMR could be listened to as a rather ironic comment on any homophobia  coming from him or any of his ilk.  And let's not be naive--do you really think the C&W performers who ARE played on BBMR are gay-friendly?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:35:06 am by x-man »
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline SFEnnisSF

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 06:04:48 pm »
The radio station, started by Phillip, was a small niche playlist for a small audience.  It was never meant to be a breakout worldwide sensation, though that would have been nice.  The playlist was carefully selected to bring about the ambiance, tone and feeling that either Brokeback Mountain has, or that it evoked in people.  Since BBM had such a wide appeal to so many people for DIFFERENT REASONS, this was very hard to do.  A unique balance had to be established between the country music and the "gay" music.  And throw in a little ambient for mood.  Because it was such a niche playlist, it was hard to add music to and keep the feel of it.  Sure, it could have been expanded, but I think the tone of the station would have lost it's feel if we started playing Barbara Streisand, Bronski Beat, AC/DC, Van Halen, Liberace, or Abba.  You could find those artists on other radio broadcasts if you wanted to.  My only wish is I wish I could have added more '60's and '70's music that would have been appropriate and fit the niche playlist. 

In the beginning, we saw about 5-10 listeners on average at any given time.  Over the years, this dropped to only 1 or 2 people tuning into the station a day.  The station cost Phillip $45 per month to broadcast, and that's with you listening to the commercials.  If you didn't want to hear commercials you purchased the VIP membership which took the commercials away.  This is no different than what Pandora or other streaming music services offer now. 

Unfortunately the cost to broadcast does not justify the listenership anymore.  However, the playlist is still there, in tact, and even though we don't pay to broadcast anymore, you, the listener, can still purchase the Live365 VIP membership, and you can still access the music stream.  At least Live365 doesn't take it off the air when we cancelled our broadcasting membership.

I hope this answers everyone's questions.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 02:15:18 pm »
Yes, it answered mine. Thanks, Eric.

Is it a mistake, or is it the policy of Live 365 to keep broadcasting even though nobody pays for the membership anymore? If it's the latter, that's very kind of them.

Offline SFEnnisSF

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 02:55:51 am »
It might be a bit of both Sason  ;)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 08:40:43 am »
In the beginning, we saw about 5-10 listeners on average at any given time.  Over the years, this dropped to only 1 or 2 people tuning into the station a day.  The station cost Phillip $45 per month to broadcast, and that's with you listening to the commercials.  If you didn't want to hear commercials you purchased the VIP membership which took the commercials away.  This is no different than what Pandora or other streaming music services offer now. 

Unfortunately the cost to broadcast does not justify the listenership anymore.  However, the playlist is still there, in tact, and even though we don't pay to broadcast anymore, you, the listener, can still purchase the Live365 VIP membership, and you can still access the music stream.  At least Live365 doesn't take it off the air when we cancelled our broadcasting membership.

It's unfortunate that the cost is what it is.  I had a Live365 station around....2000 I think, that specialized in freestyle music.  I had a fair amount of listeners, but couldn't maintain it due to the cost, and had to shut it down.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 12:39:31 pm »
It might be a bit of both Sason  ;)

Either way, it's something to be grateful for!   :)