Author Topic: To Be Alone With You by Marakeshsparrow  (Read 12795 times)

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
To Be Alone With You by Marakeshsparrow
« on: October 22, 2006, 02:00:58 am »
This is an AU!AU story that takes place in the late 1970s in the Mediterranean sea.  Jack Twist deals in yacht piracy until one day his crew ransacks a yacht with a certain american priest, Ennis Del Mar, on board.

Hope you all enjoy this.

Here's chapter 1

http://marakeshsparrow.livejournal.com/29083.html#cutid1

Jess  ;D ;D

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: To Be Alone With You by Marakeshsparrow
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 06:11:49 am »
This is an AU!AU story that takes place in the late 1970s in the Mediterranean sea.  Jack Twist deals in yacht piracy until one day his crew ransacks a yacht with a certain american priest, Ennis Del Mar, on board.

Hope you all enjoy this.

Here's chapter 1

http://marakeshsparrow.livejournal.com/29083.html#cutid1

Jess  ;D ;D

I thought it was great. No lighthearted fun, both of them are pretty messed up but I loved it. I'm dying for the next chapter, that was some ending you left us on!!  ;D I hope you'll update soon!

Thanks so much Jess, I'm hooked  :)

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 10:03:43 am »
ok, I'm already obsessed with this... I find the idea of Jack as a pirate incredibly sexy, even though I've never been one to like the pirates before  :-\

Can't wait for the next chapter, seriously, after that ending, I need it like TODAY! That isn't too much to ask is it?  ::)

‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 10:57:57 am »
I find the idea of Jack as a pirate incredibly sexy,

OH YES! Me too, Mandy. OMG - the two of us find almost everything sexy and hot!  ::)  ;D

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 11:41:51 am »
OH YES! Me too, Mandy. OMG - the two of us find almost everything sexy and hot!  ::)  ;D

LOL I know, we're hopeless  ;)  ::)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 04:36:56 pm »
Oh no, Jack is so mean... >:( I am not sure I am going to like this.... but I will give it a try, just as I did with SOG because I liked IIA so much...and look what that brought me... ;D

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 11:04:42 pm »
One, twi three, four
Can I have a LITTLE MORE?

2 TO THE 25TH?
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 12:01:27 am »
Oh no, Jack is so mean... >:( I am not sure I am going to like this.... but I will give it a try, just as I did with SOG because I liked IIA so much...and look what that brought me... ;D

I have a feeling Jack's meanness in this story is only an act... that underneath it all is that sweet Jack Twist we all know and love! I hope so anyway... who knows, but I will say that I have a feeling I'm in this one for the long haul...

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 01:46:20 am »
Na, ya got it all wrong. Jack is really just as mean as he seems, and Ennis is really a bastard! So they make a perfect couple...

(leetle joke...)
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 03:12:52 pm »
Your writing gets better and better, like spring flowers opening to the sun...

Chapter 2 is up, so I'm bumping this....

(sorry, I didn't mean to get all mushy on ya)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 05:15:21 pm by twistedude »

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 03:58:16 pm »
Sorry I'm late with the link.  You guys have probably all found it already, but here it is.

To Be Alone With You, Chapter 2

http://marakeshsparrow.livejournal.com/29549.html#cutid1

Enjoy!

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 12:06:12 pm »
That was a really good chapter, we really did get a closer look at what kind of person Jack is. Looking forward to the rest...

one_of_one

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 01:25:21 pm »
I'm still reading this although Jess has said it's going to be a Sad!Fic.   :(  At least I'm steeled for it all ending terribly.

But hope there will be lots of love and wonderfulness in the meantime.

mvansand76

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 09:47:47 am »
I'm still reading this although Jess has said it's going to be a Sad!Fic.   :(  At least I'm steeled for it all ending terribly.

But hope there will be lots of love and wonderfulness in the meantime.

:'( :'( :'(

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 02:32:52 am »
Chapter 3 is up, folks.

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 01:38:05 am »
Sorry!  I'm really falling behind on this!

To Be Alone With You, Chapter 3

http://marakeshsparrow.livejournal.com/30423.html#cutid1

Enjoy!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 01:39:40 am »
And...

To Be Alone With You, Chapter 4

http://marakeshsparrow.livejournal.com/30597.html#cutid1

Sorry 'bout falling behind with the linkees!  Hope to have Chap 5 up later this week!  ;) ;)

mvansand76

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 03:26:30 pm »
I'm really wondering if I will be able to find any sympathy for your Jack, especially since now we got a taste of how he treats people and because he tried to justify what had happened by saying that he never actually killed anybody himself. But, that really makes your story very interesting. He really is a very flawed and wounded character. Wonderful dialogue and character development!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 02:05:30 pm »
Some of you are very picky in the comopany you keep! I have two friends who have killed people--of course, one has been dead since 1966..but he was a great guy.

People CHANGE...

Mo'

(And how about MadLori's new story? Already Jack is no longer horrified by D's killing people)

marakeshsparrow has told us that "this is not a happy fanfic," so I guess we can assume that a reconing will come eventually. Oh, the "great guy" spent most of his life in prisons (lucky prisons!)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 04:15:00 pm »
Some of you are very picky in the comopany you keep! I have two friends who have killed people--of course, one has been dead since 1966..but he was a great guy.

People CHANGE...

Mo'

(And how about MadLori's new story? Already Jack is no longer horrified by D's killing people)

marakeshsparrow has told us that "this is not a happy fanfic," so I guess we can assume that a reconing will come eventually. Oh, the "great guy" spent most of his life in prisons (lucky prisons!)

This post doesn't make any sense!  ???

Who said what, and why are you so angry about it?

I just can't figure it out.  :-\
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 07:56:46 pm »
I'm really wondering if I will be able to find any sympathy for your Jack, especially since now we got a taste of how he treats people and because he tried to justify what had happened by saying that he never actually killed anybody himself. But, that really makes your story very interesting. He really is a very flawed and wounded character. Wonderful dialogue and character development!

I agree that that is what makes this story so interesting. I am fascinated by this version of Jack, he is really very different from anything we've seen before I think, like you said, he's "wounded" as I think most fan fic Jack's are, but this one is wounded in a very different way that I can't quite put my finger on yet. I find myself really drawn by his desire to live life on the sea and I'm curious to see what drove him to pick this particular way of doing that. I think he feels very very guilty about everything he's done that has put him in this place and he was more trying to justify the killing to himself by saying that than to anyone else because all of the killing is not sitting right with him any more, if it ever did.

I'm really loving this story. I wasn't at all into the idea when I first heard about it but it very quickly became one of my favorites. I often find myself driving home from work wishing there would be an update when I got home  :)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 11:35:34 pm »
mvns76 said, "I'm really wondering if i will be able to find any  sympathy for your Jack." But then decided that the story was interesdting after all. What's not to understand?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 12:06:30 am by twistedude »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 03:42:26 am »
mvns76 said, "I'm really wondering if i will be able to find any  sympathy for your Jack." But then decided that the story was interesdting after all. What's not to understand?

Oh gee, I don't know... I read what Melissa posted 5 or 6 different times and I don't see anything wrong with it. It sounds like you are being a little nit picky.

I've watched you do this before. But this time you pushed the wrong button and I just need to say something about it.   >:(

You know what? Most of the time I can't  make any sense of your messages, and of the few times I can they don't sound very nice. You shouldn't attack people like this.

I really am a very kind person..... but I don't feel very nice right now.

You "MA'AM"  have the honors of being the first person to go on my ignore list.   

You need to learn how to be nicer to people.    >:( >:( >:(   
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006, 04:30:57 am »
I'm very sorry if i sounded nasty--I just meant that it takes all kinds, even to love. I'm sorry thaI I'm on your ignore list; you are not on mine. Nobody's on  mine, nor ever will be.

I really don't think I deserved your comment,. and don't think I am nasty most of the time, or even hardly ever.

You certainly hurt MY feelings, if that's what you were trying to do...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 04:38:00 am by twistedude »

mvansand76

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 05:45:10 am »
I just don't think my post was reason for such a reply, Twistedude, I was just voicing my opinion of the story. It is possible to not find a character in a story likeable, but still find that that makes the story interesting! Is it wrong for me not to have killers as friends? I don't know why you wrote that and I just don't know where that came from. Maybe you didn't mean it as an attack, but it did 'sound' like one.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 06:11:31 am »
I'm really sorry if you felt it as an attck, mevens-- I not onlky didn't mean to attack you personally, but didn't even mean to attack what you had said. I just disagreed with it. In any case, I am very unhappy that anyone took it as an attack on anyone, and apologize for it.
It is terrible to be the victim oif assault, for robbery or any other reason; reading about a pirate is for me a different matter.

No, it is certainly not wrong for you not to have killers as friends...it's probably very strange of me.
The killer I mentioned was saved from execution by the greatest lawyer in the country, built the libraries in the two prisons he was in from scratch, taught courses, for which fellow-prisoners eventuallty received credit, ands volunteered for the maleria experiments (before they found a cure). He was releassed from prison after about 40 yerars, moved to South America, married a nurse, and lived quietly until his death ten years later. (Both my parents wre in school with him at the University of Chicago).

Not all people who do bad things undergo such transformations, of course. My husband and I used to know a man who killed another because the the other had broken his jaw. Hardly an excuse. yet we couldn't help liking him, because he was--such a nice guy.

I think we should all remember that Jack is changing, and will nevertheless be punished, one way or the other.

I imagine I sounded---flip. That's my usual sin.

Sorry. As fr YOU, David, speaking of attacks! Whew! (Of course, yoiu can;'t read this...) I wonder on what occasions I have "done this several times"? Sure you don't have me mixed up with the Marquis de Sade?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 05:44:56 pm by twistedude »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 07:44:19 am »
I am not going to go back and ask people to modify their posts, but I am going to ask all of you to bring your personal concerns about what you meant and how your feelings were or were not hurt, to private message and not to continue in this vein on this thread.

The thread is a discussion of the story "To Be Alone with You" - if you wish to discuss how you offended one another (or not) please do this in private message.

Note:
  It is acceptable, and at times recommended, to use the Private Message ignore list function, and the Forum Ignore function.  Ignoring users whose posts you do not wish to see, is a feature of the Bettermost Forum to allow people to not have to read what others write if they do not want to.  Please consider using this option if you are discomfited by messages posted by your fellow members.  Personal attacks are NOT permitted on Bettermost.  Please observe this rule.

And if someone doesn't want to talk to you - please take that as a broad hint that it might be a good idea to stop talking to them.

From this point onward, any discussion of users attacking one another or offending one another will be modified or deleted as necessary.  You have been advised.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 07:49:11 am by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 05:47:14 pm »
Yes, Captain. Understood.

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2006, 03:25:41 am »
Wow.  I missed alot.  Hmmm...

Anyway.  I hope to have chapter 5 of TBAWY up by tomorrow.  The word is, hope...

We'll see.  Thanks for all you who've been reading!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 03:46:29 am »
Yeah, you missed the fireworks with everyone else on the side of politeness, respect, law and order, and me with the outlaws, rustlers, thieves, murderers,  and being an insfferable insulting bitch (I guess)...oh well, Nobody's Perfect...

hey--guess you didn't like ..NEVER MIND. Geheimness (ask Sheera, she doesn't speak German either--like me.).

Tommorow, tomorrow, when will it be here..as me sainted grandma used to say...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 03:33:49 pm by twistedude »

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 10:19:12 am »
To Be Alone With You, Chapter 5

http://marakeshsparrow.livejournal.com/31172.html#cutid1

Enjoy!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 12:15:24 pm »
"Land, it gets in the way of the water."  Glad I read this, early in the morning. Thanks.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2006, 11:16:52 pm »
anyone know when this will update?? I'm having pirate Jack withdrawls... for some reason this story has been on my mind today  :)

one_of_one

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2006, 03:42:18 am »
anyone know when this will update?? I'm having pirate Jack withdrawls... for some reason this story has been on my mind today  :)

Me too!  I've been thinking about it these last few days.  I guess with the onslaught of Crimble everyone is getting slowed down in their writing.

Hmmm....fancy letting Christmas interfere with fanfic?

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2006, 01:59:56 pm »
Me too!  I've been thinking about it these last few days.  I guess with the onslaught of Crimble everyone is getting slowed down in their writing.

Hmmm....fancy letting Christmas interfere with fanfic?

I know, what's wrong with these people, don't they know fan fic comes first??  ::)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2006, 02:30:31 pm »

I know, what's wrong with these people, don't they know fan fic comes first??  ::)

;D

How are we ever gonna get through the 25th and 26th?? With absolutely NO updates whatsoever cause everybody will, of course,  ::)  be busy celebrating with family and friends! Maybe both of you can promise me you'll be updating on one of these days??!  :P

;D  ;D  ;D

:-*

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2006, 02:13:04 pm »
I should have the update before Christmas.  No worries!

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 06:10:45 pm »
DAMN!  I really had to pull this one out from the depths!!

To Be Alone With You, Chapter 6

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1147724.html#cutid1

Hope You Enjoy!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2007, 05:28:28 am »
More, please.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2007, 05:57:04 am »
Jess are you ever going to update "Just  the two of us"? I really miss that. It got off to such a great start, I really liked it. I still read LMTYD of course but I miss the new one. :'(

mvansand76

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2007, 05:09:06 pm »
Did everybody read this? This was posted in July and I only read it a week ago...

Hey folks

This is Marakesh signing off. I wanted to let you all know that you've been great and I could never have written as much as I did without all your support, ideas, and friendship.

Alas, it is time for me to keep on truckin' down that long and winding road and start some new projects. Some original projects. I feel that fanfiction writing, though fun and soothing at first, has in the end backed me into a corner creatively. Time to start working on things I could actually publish or make into films.

So once again, thanks to all of you. And I apologize for not being able to finish the three most recent stories that I started. I know there were many of you looking forward to chapters that I'd promised, and I let you down. I really only set out to write Lead Me to Your Door, and somehow I got sucked into this crazy fandom and didn't know when to let a good thing go. I hope you'll be able to fulfill your slashette needs elswhere with all the other great dedicated writers out there.

So I just wanted to tell you that it's been a great ride and I hope you've had as much fun as I have.

Peace and love
Jess (Marakeshsparrow)