Author Topic: A "new" Harper Lee manuscript has surfaced  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
A "new" Harper Lee manuscript has surfaced
« on: February 04, 2015, 10:32:14 am »
Big news last evening and this morning. A "new" manuscript by Harper Lee has come to light. I believe I heard it said it was found in her sister's safe-deposit box. It was reported on TV news that the manuscript is essentially a first version of what became To Kill a Mockingbird, with a Scout as an adult. The manuscript was rejected as is, and Lee was told to rewrite the story from the perspective of Scout as child--To Kill a Mockingbird as we know it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: A "new" Harper Lee manuscript has surfaced
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 09:41:14 am »
Interesting.

I remember reading TKAM back in school many years ago.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: A "new" Harper Lee manuscript has surfaced
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 02:12:11 pm »
Back in 1998 in the comparatively early days of the internet in schools, I made friends with a school librarian in Birmingham, Alabama.   first met her, when she was on a school tour to Australia and later attended a conference in Birmingham in 1999, then she and her husband kindly drove over to Charleston to meet me and my sister in 2007 and we met again in Chicago in 2010.  So we are still good friends but back in 1998/9 I excitedly told one of our teachers who was beginning to study TKAMB with his class that we could set up an exchange with students in Birmingham. I was disappointed when the reply came from my friend that they do not discuss that book in her school.