Author Topic: Trigger warning?  (Read 17536 times)

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
Trigger warning?
« on: May 31, 2015, 10:24:48 pm »
Question: Given the emotional upheaval many experienced on viewing/reading BBM, should this film/story have come with a trigger warning?
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Trigger warning?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 05:31:44 am »
Interesting question.

I'd say no. Based on the fact that I've never heard anyone say that they wish they'd never seen it. Quite the contrary, most people are very greatful they saw it and the outcome of it in their lives, despite (or, more likely, because of) the emotional upheaval. Not to mention all new friendships, travels etc people have made.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 06:04:14 am »
Interesting question.

I'd say no. Based on the fact that I've never heard anyone say that they wish they'd never seen it. Quite the contrary, most people are very greatful they saw it and the outcome of it in their lives, despite (or, more likely, because of) the emotional upheaval. Not to mention all new friendships, travels etc people have made.

In retrospect I sometimes wish I had not seen it. I was unprepared for the devastation I felt almost dumped in my lap. At the time I was totally caught up with it, with discussions on this and another forum. It was intellectually exhilarating as well as emotionally depleting. My feelings were so strong I realise now  it could have tipped me into a kind of depression as I was experiencing the change of life at the time  - an emotionally unstable phase for many women at the best of times - as well as the onset of a chronic health condition (certainly not helped by this turbulence!) From this distance I now think my response was totally over the top.

The symptomology of "Brokeback Fever" even earned a spot in a Nurse Forum lol.

http://nursing.advanceweb.com/Article/Brokeback-Fever.aspx

It is clear that the film/story was like an unexploded bomb for numbers of people with a predisposition for what ever reason to be emotionally flooded by this story. I for one never saw it coming.

PS Sorry for the mixed metaphor!!

Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 11:11:49 am »
I'm also inclined to think, No. I'm also wondering how such a warning might have been worded. Would it have been like the warnings we sometimes see that something might not be appropriate for certain ages? (I'm not meaning to demean the question here; I just can't think of anything else to compare it to.)

While we know the story brought Diana Osana to tears, I'm also wondering whether anybody could really have anticipated the devastating effect the film would have on some people.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:56:58 pm »
A warning for sadness?  Devastation?  To prepare for unimaginable feelings of loss of a fictional character, and the pain of the one left behind? 

Of the millions who saw the movie, I believe only a tiny percent were affected to the point of searching out solace on forums such as this, as we were.  You can never know what will or will not affect you before you see it. 

Would a warning have prevented you from watching it?
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 02:23:43 pm »
I don't think there's any way the film makers would've known that "Brokies" would've reacted so strongly to the film, so a warning was the last thing on their minds.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 10:24:19 pm »
Thanks for those responses Bettermostians. I think the consensus is no - a trigger warning is not called for.

In discussing this with someone on another forum they also agreed saying that in the case of this movie there was "something spiritual. You can't anticipate that".

And it's true - you cant - either in art or in life.  I recently read that "experience is not what happens to you but how you process that experience". Being profoundly disturbed is doubtless the  point of the whole exercise.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 05:22:23 am »
"experience is not what happens to you but how you process that experience".

At first I found this very clarifying and interesting. Then I realised that it applies (only?) to English speakers.

In Swedish e g, we have two completely different words that cover those two meanings: what happens to you = upplevelse, how you process it = erfarenhet. No need for clarification there.

A lot of people have had the upplevelse of watching BBM. Some of us experienced a profound and life-changing erfarenhet from it.

Not that this has anything to do with the question of trigger warning or not, but I still found it interesting!  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 09:38:38 am »
Not that this has anything to do with the question of trigger warning or not, but I still found it interesting!  :D

I did, too. Thanks for telling us about that.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 11:06:44 am »
You're welcome, Jeff.

Glad you found it interesting!