Author Topic: Hannibal  (Read 4520 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Hannibal
« on: November 29, 2015, 05:33:50 am »
I've been watching tv-series Hannibal as of late. I stumbled on the very final scene of the series on youtube and then quickly (in less than three days) watched the entire three seasons!

Don't know if anyone else here has seen it, but I highly recomend it. It is a groundbreaking, beautiful psycological thriller with the love story between Hannibal Lecter (yeah, the cannibal) and Will Graham (instabile FBI-profiler) at the forefront.

The show's creator is Bryan Fuller, who is also the creator of shows like Pushing Daisies and Dead like me. Hannibal is a different beast altogether, though.

Hannibal is a dark (albeit sometimes very funny), mouthy, submersive, beautiful and well-acted show. And Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen aren't exactly ugly either O0

And then it also has Lawrence Fishburne, Eddie Izzard and several other good cast members.

It has obvious homoerotic undertones which become more outspoken over time. What I especially like about it is the absence of the upset denial of the protoganists ( as we have often seen on Sherlock and other shows) when they become upset and shout out "we are not gay!". On Hannibal it is a non-issue.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Hannibal
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 12:30:43 pm »
I remember it ran on German TV. The trailers alone creeped me out. :o

Creepy in the frightening sense or were the trailers misleading?

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 12:48:08 pm »
I remember it ran on German TV. The trailers alone creeped me out. :o

Creepy in the frightening sense or were the trailers misleading?

I find it only slightly creepy, which I think is because the show has a fairy tale quality to it.
The murder tableaus, as they are often refered to since they are often quite beautiful, don't upset me much for that reason,
And Hannibal is not a crime show in the same sense as the CSI shows, but is much more a psycological thriller. The murders are the background and the Will/Hannibal relationship in the forefront.

I've included a few murder tableaus which always looks almost like paintings.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 12:41:43 am »
I haven't watched it, but I've heard good things about it.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 02:11:07 am »
I find the guy playing Hannibal the most creepy. :-\
Plus, he looks like Putin, which doesn't make it any better.