Author Topic: Memorable Holiday Presents?  (Read 31643 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Memorable Holiday Presents?
« on: December 11, 2015, 10:47:47 am »
Has this ever been discussed before? I can't seem to notice a particular thread.

Just before I left for the office this morning, the hosts of the Today show were talking about some of the most memorable Christmas presents they had received, and it immediately popped into my head that this would make an interesting topic for a thread.

The Today folks were talking about gifts they had received when they were children, but I don't see why this topic couldn't apply to gifts received at any age, or to gifts given as well as received.

I'll start.

Three Christmas presents that I received from Santa were so memorable that I still have them!  :laugh:  I'm no longer sure of the order in which I received them, but one was my Marx "Fort Apache" play set, a plastic stockade fort with pioneers, Indians, wagons, teepees--the works! A second was a set of Lincoln Logs. A third was a set of model trains with an old-time steam locomotive and passenger cars decorated to represent the train from the TV show Petticoat Junction.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Memorable Holiday Presents?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 12:57:15 pm »
Memorable for good or bad reasons?  :laugh:

I remember one year getting a Chia Pet.  ::)

I have two gifts that were given to me by the same couple, Mike and Corrine.  I had once discussed I always liked the Volkswagon Beetle, but never had one, it wasn't a useful car for me.  So one year they got me a large die-cast black Volkswagon beetle mounted to a stand, that had a plaque on it  "Merry Christmas - Love Mike & Cor"

Another gift they gave, which I still have (like the beetle) was a small, framed inspirational poster, the first Christmas I had as an out gay man.

If I recall correctly, it's a scene of a waterfall and says something like "Sometimes what we see as endings, are actually new beginnnings."

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 01:17:22 pm »
Memorable for good or bad reasons?  :laugh:

I remember one year getting a Chia Pet.  ::)

Could go either way.

Years ago we banned Chia Pets from my club's gift exchange because someone always got one.  :laugh:

Which reminds me. ... At the risk of going off my own topic, this year I haven't seen commercials for either Chia Pets or the Clapper.  ???  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 03:15:53 pm »
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen them yet either.

Cha Cha  Cha Chia!!

clap on, clap off, clap on, clap  off, The Clapper!

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 03:45:10 pm »

Maybe we should just wait another week, and they'll advertise them for people who need last-minute emergency gifts.  ;D

I mentioned this to someone here at work, and he pointed out that people are eating chia seeds now, so maybe there aren't any around for Chia Pets.  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 04:02:28 pm »
I gave a little Ford pickup truck in the famous colors to EDelMar a year or two ago. It has a little Christmas tree in the back. I think Chrissi has one.

Memorable presents I have received, last year my son gave me a Camelback. It is a small backpack that has a water reservoir in the back and a tube so that you can stay hydrated without stopping. Also he gave me a rock climbing helmet which I cherish. My daughter gave me a cap and scarf that she had knitted herself. I get compliments every time I wear them.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 05:29:20 pm »
Doesn't anyone else have anything memorable from childhood holidays?

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 07:31:49 pm »
- I remember getting a navy blue Tonka military Jeep when I was very young.
- One year I got a battery operated robot that sort of scooted along on wheels under its feet, and every so often its chest would open and these little plastic guns would pop out shoot light flashes.
- One year my brothers and I got a joint present of a Hot Wheels racing system with cars, tracks, ramps, etc. The most fun part of that was whacking each other with the flexible orange track segments.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline BradInBlue

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 11:55:17 pm »
I got a red metal, drivable, pedal fire truck with a bell (we've got an 8mm film of me drivin' the critter). Not only the most memorable present but saw one on Pawn Stars that went for thousands of dollars. Asked mom what ever happened to that fire truck & her reply was, "whut"....   ;D

Offline BradInBlue

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 12:04:48 am »
clap on, clap off, clap on, clap  off, The Clapper!

The 'Clapper' was based television remotes that worked based on loud clicks emitted from bulky remote controls............

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 12:28:56 am »
Doesn't anyone else have anything memorable from childhood holidays?

I remember getting Smash Up Derby set one Christmas.  I had a few sets of those.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 06:50:29 am »
Great idea for a thread, Jeff! :)

I have two memorable gifts I got as a kid. One were a pair of bright red winter boots. Technically I got them for my birthday, but since it's so close to Christmas I think it counts. I loved those boots to no end, they were completely red from the outside, the sole, mid-part, bootleg and even the zipper, and they had a lining of artificial lamb-fur on the inside. I think I never had cold feet in them, but that might be my imagination. :laugh:

The second was a Sony Walkman I got from my father back in the eighties when they were THE thing to have. I cherished it for many years.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 10:26:04 am »
Not only the most memorable present but saw one on Pawn Stars that went for thousands of dollars. Asked mom what ever happened to that fire truck & her reply was, "whut"....   ;D

LOL!!!

Good for her.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 11:08:58 am »
Great idea for a thread, Jeff! 

Brad, I would have LOVED your pedal-driven firetruck!

Milo, boy do I remember HotWheels!  Those orange tracks made great weapons.  Remember the funny purple plastic connectors?  I think my brother and I had some elaborate figure eights with ramps.

I have a few memorable ones:

--A toy Aston Martin from the Bond film "Goldfinger".  It was little, but it did stuff:  a button would pop out guns in front; another button would pop up a rear shield; a third button would eject the villain out of the roof!  Way cool.  I have to admit that I bought one at a flea market a few years ago.  Yes, it seems, you can buy back your childhood.

--Another favorite was also a car:  the 60s TV version of the Batmobile.  It had a rocket thingie, a fire exhaust, and a cutting wheel out the front.  Plus, very cool "fins" and bluish turquoise bubble glass. My brother and I played with this endlessly. No, I haven't bought one lately.

--As the kids got older, my parents would get us a "kids" group present. Most memorable was a pinball machine.  It was small and tinny, but it worked great, with bells and lights and bumpers.  Plus, no quarters necessary!

--The last memorable present I recall was also a "kids" group present: our own phone line.  My dad was always on call, and as we kids got older, we were constantly on the phone and getting interrupted, so we got our own phone with an extra-long cord for privacy.  I still remember the number.   

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 02:22:54 pm »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 02:29:02 pm »
I'm glad I had the idea for this thread.  :)

Brad's fire truck reminds me that at some time in my childhood I had a military jeep. Heaven only knows when that disappeared. It probably wasn't the best thing for a little boy growing up in a row house in the city--no place really to ride it.  :-\

And Paul reminds me that I had a pinball machine, too. Funny that I don't remember my mother getting rid of any of these things.  ???

I think my Tonka fire truck (thanks for reminding me of that, Milo) is still in my dad's basement. It came with its own little fire hydrant, and you could hook a garden hose up to the fire hydrant and shoot water out of the truck's fire hose.  ;D

I agree with Paul: You can buy back your childhood--at least to some extent. That "Fort Apache" play set I mentioned had lost a lot of pieces over the years, and I've spent a lot "reconstructing" it. I also bought another Marx playset I had as a kid: "The Flintstones"!  :laugh: It was a complete little town of Bedrock, and there's a real story to this one. It must have been "big" the year I got it, and my mother couldn't find one anywhere. Finally, she convinced a store manager somewhere to sell her the display model, the only one they had left!  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 02:31:02 pm »
Our cousin Darrell had one of these.

That Batmobile is cool! Love the tail fins!  :D

Of course, I remember when ordinary cars had tail fins, but never mind!  :-\  :laugh:

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 04:18:45 pm »
Of course, I remember when ordinary cars had tail fins, but never mind!  :-\  :laugh:

hehehe

You're not alone on that one.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 11:33:20 pm »
One year my brothers and I got a joint present of a Hot Wheels racing system with cars, tracks, ramps, etc. The most fun part of that was whacking each other with the flexible orange track segments.

My younger brother loved those, he had about 3 different sets.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 11:35:12 pm »
--A toy Aston Martin from the Bond film "Goldfinger".  It was little, but it did stuff:  a button would pop out guns in front; another button would pop up a rear shield; a third button would eject the villain out of the roof!  Way cool.  I have to admit that I bought one at a flea market a few years ago.  Yes, it seems, you can buy back your childhood.

I didn't have that, but I remember seeing it, a friend must've had it way back when.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 11:40:44 pm »
I got a red metal, drivable, pedal fire truck with a bell (we've got an 8mm film of me drivin' the critter). Not only the most memorable present but saw one on Pawn Stars that went for thousands of dollars. Asked mom what ever happened to that fire truck & her reply was, "whut"....   ;D

Very cool.

I didn't have a firetruck, but I remember having one of these.

My dad worked for the railroad, and my youngest brother (Chris) developed a love for trains because of that.   When he was little, I remember him getting one of these as a toddler.  It wasn't this exact one, but something similar.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 12:49:31 am »
Very cool.

I didn't have a firetruck, but I remember having one of these.

VW Cabriolet!  :D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2015, 07:49:40 pm »
VW Cabriolet!  :D

Someone was selling one online, in the original box, for over $1,000.00

:o

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2015, 09:23:18 pm »
Someone was selling one online, in the original box, for over $1,000.00

:o

Makes you wish you still had yours, doesn't it?  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2015, 09:41:11 pm »
Here's a little present my daughter gave me when she was about 8 years old. It's a card that forms a triptych of the word "joy". In the O is a picture of her. It's one of my most treasured things.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 09:43:06 am »
Makes you wish you still had yours, doesn't it?  ;D

you bet

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 09:43:45 am »
sweet card!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2015, 05:07:31 pm »
Christmas is getting close. I saw Chia Pets in the drug store this afternoon!

Also Chia Spider-Man and a Chia Zombie!  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2015, 10:54:53 pm »
apparently, you can get three different versions of the zombie.

the male  (on the left)  female (on the right) and the hand coming up from the ground.  LOL

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2015, 11:52:18 pm »
apparently, you can get three different versions of the zombie.

the male  (on the left)  female (on the right) and the hand coming up from the ground.  LOL

There must be more. The one at the drug store wasn't just a head or other body part. It was a whole zombie.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2015, 03:39:17 pm »
There must be more. The one at the drug store wasn't just a head or other body part. It was a whole zombie.

Hmmmm.....I didn't see that.  I'll have to look around.  LOL

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2018, 09:24:17 pm »
The biggest surprise I got this Christmas was a "Justice League" canvas to hang with my Super Friends memorabilia, from my niece, Shana.

One thing I found interesting was that they mixed the line-up between the original line up,  and the popular cartoon that aired some time ago.

From the comic they used Flash, Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman.

Green Lantern was always a Justice League member, but the first incarnation was Hal Jordan, a white man.  When he relinquished his title, John Stewart, a black man, became the new Green Lantern.  That GL was featured in the cartoon, and is on my canvas.

Lastly, Hawkman was an original League member, and later was joined by his wife, Hawkwoman.  When the cartoon aired, the creators decided they wanted female character besides Wonder Woman, so they replaced Hawkman with Hawkwoman, and she is the character used on my canvas.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 11:57:44 am »

Hey Jeff, I just saw this online.  Is this what you saw?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2020, 10:39:05 pm »
I went to see my coworker and her twin girls today at their home, and we did a gift exchange.

They got me this.

The gift exchange with Sacha and her girls went well, and they loved what I got them.

This first pic is what was in the box, description below.  You can click on the pic to make it bigger.

Across the top are scented soaps in the pride rainbow colors.

Red = Winter Candy Apple
Orange = Peach Bellini
Yellow = Fresh Lemonade
Green = Vanilla Bean Noel
Blue = Crisp Morning Air
Purple = Spiced Clove & Citrus

Across the bottom, in either corner, are two scented candles, and in the middle (left) is a small hand sanitizer, and in the middle is a candle holder.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2020, 10:40:52 pm »
This is the box they placed it in.  They went searching for a box that was wide enough to fit the layout they wanted.   The image on the box is also on the inside lid.

I have already emptied the soaps into the bathroom, and put the candles into the closet for use after the holidays.

I have the box standing up on top of the refrigerator, so I have a little more Christmas in the kitchen now.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2020, 06:13:01 pm »
What a thoughtful and lovely gift for you!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2020, 11:17:50 pm »
Isn't it great?  I love it!  The gift and the box!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2020, 03:48:25 pm »
The box is somewhat Brokieish.

Do you think that's why they picked it?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre