Author Topic: Memorable Holiday Presents?  (Read 31640 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Memorable Holiday Presents?
« on: December 11, 2015, 10:47:47 am »
Has this ever been discussed before? I can't seem to notice a particular thread.

Just before I left for the office this morning, the hosts of the Today show were talking about some of the most memorable Christmas presents they had received, and it immediately popped into my head that this would make an interesting topic for a thread.

The Today folks were talking about gifts they had received when they were children, but I don't see why this topic couldn't apply to gifts received at any age, or to gifts given as well as received.

I'll start.

Three Christmas presents that I received from Santa were so memorable that I still have them!  :laugh:  I'm no longer sure of the order in which I received them, but one was my Marx "Fort Apache" play set, a plastic stockade fort with pioneers, Indians, wagons, teepees--the works! A second was a set of Lincoln Logs. A third was a set of model trains with an old-time steam locomotive and passenger cars decorated to represent the train from the TV show Petticoat Junction.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Memorable Holiday Presents?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 12:57:15 pm »
Memorable for good or bad reasons?  :laugh:

I remember one year getting a Chia Pet.  ::)

I have two gifts that were given to me by the same couple, Mike and Corrine.  I had once discussed I always liked the Volkswagon Beetle, but never had one, it wasn't a useful car for me.  So one year they got me a large die-cast black Volkswagon beetle mounted to a stand, that had a plaque on it  "Merry Christmas - Love Mike & Cor"

Another gift they gave, which I still have (like the beetle) was a small, framed inspirational poster, the first Christmas I had as an out gay man.

If I recall correctly, it's a scene of a waterfall and says something like "Sometimes what we see as endings, are actually new beginnnings."

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 01:17:22 pm »
Memorable for good or bad reasons?  :laugh:

I remember one year getting a Chia Pet.  ::)

Could go either way.

Years ago we banned Chia Pets from my club's gift exchange because someone always got one.  :laugh:

Which reminds me. ... At the risk of going off my own topic, this year I haven't seen commercials for either Chia Pets or the Clapper.  ???  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 03:15:53 pm »
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen them yet either.

Cha Cha  Cha Chia!!

clap on, clap off, clap on, clap  off, The Clapper!

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 03:45:10 pm »

Maybe we should just wait another week, and they'll advertise them for people who need last-minute emergency gifts.  ;D

I mentioned this to someone here at work, and he pointed out that people are eating chia seeds now, so maybe there aren't any around for Chia Pets.  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 04:02:28 pm »
I gave a little Ford pickup truck in the famous colors to EDelMar a year or two ago. It has a little Christmas tree in the back. I think Chrissi has one.

Memorable presents I have received, last year my son gave me a Camelback. It is a small backpack that has a water reservoir in the back and a tube so that you can stay hydrated without stopping. Also he gave me a rock climbing helmet which I cherish. My daughter gave me a cap and scarf that she had knitted herself. I get compliments every time I wear them.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 05:29:20 pm »
Doesn't anyone else have anything memorable from childhood holidays?

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 07:31:49 pm »
- I remember getting a navy blue Tonka military Jeep when I was very young.
- One year I got a battery operated robot that sort of scooted along on wheels under its feet, and every so often its chest would open and these little plastic guns would pop out shoot light flashes.
- One year my brothers and I got a joint present of a Hot Wheels racing system with cars, tracks, ramps, etc. The most fun part of that was whacking each other with the flexible orange track segments.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline BradInBlue

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 11:55:17 pm »
I got a red metal, drivable, pedal fire truck with a bell (we've got an 8mm film of me drivin' the critter). Not only the most memorable present but saw one on Pawn Stars that went for thousands of dollars. Asked mom what ever happened to that fire truck & her reply was, "whut"....   ;D

Offline BradInBlue

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 12:04:48 am »
clap on, clap off, clap on, clap  off, The Clapper!

The 'Clapper' was based television remotes that worked based on loud clicks emitted from bulky remote controls............