Author Topic: On Caregiving  (Read 271048 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
On Caregiving
« on: December 17, 2015, 08:12:26 pm »
Hi friends, this is a new topic to talk about caregiving, share stories and resources, gripe when necessary, and be chuffed about the successes.

I am currently helping a friend through throat cancer treatment. I've never had anyone close to me with cancer before so I'm learning a lot. Today I'm sitting in the chemo room with him while a machine drips saline and chemicals into his veins. Teal colored faux leather chairs line the room and aside from the drip machines and monitors, it's a cheerful place. Every once in a while someone comes in with a therapy dog or performs music on a dulcimer. The nurses are very professional and friendly. Overall it is a much more pleasant experience than you would think. And on top of that, I've met some really extraordinary people. Just regular people who've been slammed with the diagnosis of cancer and have matured in the process. These people have more hope than I can ever hope to have, especially the young people who have been stopped in their tracks by this unexpected monster. They are staring it down and vanquishing it. Whoever invented that saying, "Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger" must have been a cancer patient, because when you are receiving treatment for cancer you are literally fighting for your life.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: On Caregiving
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 08:23:34 pm »
Oh! What a lovely and helpful idea for a thread! Thanks, Friend!

(I just updated my dad's situation--and mine--on my blog, so I won't repeat it here.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 09:35:07 am »
Very good idea for a thread.

I consider myself lucky, as both my parents are in great health (in their 70s) and they both believe in preventitive care, so at the earliest signs that something isn't right, they're at the doctor, as well as getting their regular check-ups.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 02:08:38 pm »
That's great to hear, friend. But you never know about these things. Me, I have always prided myself on my health and the fact that I didn't need to take any medications. When my doctor started me on high blood pressure meds, I felt strange taking them. Shortly after climbing Brokenback Mountain for the first time, I decided to ditch the meds and regulate my health through exercise, diet and lifestyle. Fortunately, I've been able to keep the blood pressure in the normal range. But in spite of that, I find myself juggling pill bottles, ordering meds and knowing far more than I ever wanted to know about prescription drugs. Why? Because my elderly mother and friend have to take them and are not savvy enough to go through all the mumbo jumbo to monitor them safely.

Now, I could have several different attitudes about this situation. I started out being resentful. "Here I am in perfect health, and yet I'm burdened down by all these chemicals," I would say to myself. But over the 4-5 years I've been doing this, I've come to have a different attitude. I believe divine Providence gave me health and a good mind for a reason: so I could help and protect my loved ones from harm. Adopting this approach has given me more peace of mind and thus I'm more cheerful in carrying out this crucial task.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 12:01:51 am »
Today in church the minister talked about Uncle Mordecai's words to Esther and they resonated with what I tried to say in my post above. Here are two interpretations.

Offline bentgyro

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 12:59:45 pm »
Good health, being in good health is a crapshoot.  When my father developed prostate cancer (he was 86), my sister and I decided to keep him at home.  Our mother had passed 2 years before and I had moved in with our Dad.  My sister left her husband at home and came to be with me (she is eight years older and her girls have families of their own).  I took a leave of absence from work.  It was a very emotional time.  I did stand by his bedside a few times and told him that we (his whole family) were OK and if he wanted to go it was alright.  By the last 2 months he was comatose and we were giving him morphine,  My brother in law had come to join us by this time.  I did learn that I am the bossy one between my sister and me.  My sister and I formed a strong bond with each other and are very close.  My father was a big strong man, 6'4
large boned, never fat and physically active until he had cancer.  He quit eating at the end and was a skeleton when he passed.   I do not regret my decision and would do it again.  Now I have artheritis and have lost my equlibrium and I still live on my own with a whippet and a cat.  I have found that people are helpful and kind when I'm out and about.  I walk with a cane and can still drive but stairs are like mountains now.  All I want is to keep my mind. :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 03:06:03 pm »
That is a very inspiring story b-g! Please pass along any tips you can give us!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 05:00:05 pm »
This topic is also about giving care to pets. My ancient cat has developed a strange way of eating. She manipulates the shreds of cat food up the sides of the glass food bowl and tries to bite it off the rim. Sometimes the food slides over the rim and on the outside of the bowl so she tries to lick it off and the bowl starts sliding around the room, sometimes turning over and dumping all the food on the floor.

I decided maybe she needs a heavier food bowl with a non-skid bottom. I found one finally but it was $50! Anyone have a better idea?

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 09:46:24 pm »
Maybe put the food right on a plastic place mat?  Easy clean up.  Or use heavy duty double-sided tape on the bottom of her bowl?
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 08:44:56 am »
could you find some non-skid material, and attach it to the bowl with velcrow or glue?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!