Author Topic: On Caregiving  (Read 270943 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: On Caregiving
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 12:09:59 pm »
I'm sorry to hear Diva is in hospice.  But I'm glad you can give her a little TLC.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 05:01:35 pm »
Sorry to hear about your kitty, Lee.

Hope you can keep her comfortable for her last couple of days.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 10:27:33 pm »
Thanks, friends, for your thoughts. Right now things are in a holding pattern. Diva is doing okay but when I return from my appointments, sometimes I find her in distress, trying to drag herself over to her litter box but not being able to. It's kind of amazing, though, how well she navigates around just on her front legs. I'm certainly not ready to take her in for euthanasia, since she is not in pain and I am able to baby her just for a little while.

The vet said if I didn't bring her in within 24 hours of her diagnosis last Friday, I would be subject to an additional $75 examination fee on top of the euthanasia and cremation costs. That's unfair, IMO. I refuse to be pressured into ending her life before we both are ready.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 10:48:28 pm »
Thanks, friends, for your thoughts. Right now things are in a holding pattern. Diva is doing okay but when I return from my appointments, sometimes I find her in distress, trying to drag herself over to her litter box but not being able to. It's kind of amazing, though, how well she navigates around just on her front legs. I'm certainly not ready to take her in for euthanasia, since she is not in pain and I am able to baby her just for a little while.

So sorry both of you are going through this, FRiend. Diva is very lucky to have you to care for her.

The vet said if I didn't bring her in within 24 hours of her diagnosis last Friday, I would be subject to an additional $75 examination fee on top of the euthanasia and cremation costs. That's unfair, IMO. I refuse to be pressured into ending her life before we both are ready.

That's ridiculous and cruel. What pet owner wants to be rushed into ending their pet's life before it's necessary?  >:(

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2016, 09:48:43 am »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2016, 10:19:36 am »
The vet said if I didn't bring her in within 24 hours of her diagnosis last Friday, I would be subject to an additional $75 examination fee on top of the euthanasia and cremation costs. That's unfair, IMO.

I don't mean to be devil's advocate here, but did you ask why?

Does seem strange, since this is your regular vet who knows you and your cat.  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2016, 10:26:21 am »
I guessed it was because s/he would have to examine Diva again before performing the euthanasia to make sure she really needs it. Maybe there's even some law. But if there's a possibility the answer would be no, doesn't that call into question the reliability of the original diagnosis?

In any case, pet owners are going through enough at that point. Even if the examination is required, I would think the charge is at the vet's discretion and could be waived.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2016, 11:42:43 am »
I'm hoping that's the case, Kathryn. And Jeff, this cat has been remarkably healthy its whole life so it hasn't ever been to the vet. She got her shots at the animal shelter when I first brought her home 17 years ago. Where does the time go? A new development today, she has lost her ability to meow. Fortunately, we have a routine going so I know pretty much when she needs water and food and to visit her litter box. She is still purring!!

Back to elderly parents. There was a comment about how old people love to complain. It used to bother me but then I decided to take a humorous view. I rarely speak out loud about it, but sometimes I try to keep track of my mother's outlandish complaints. The latest one is that her towel slides off the towel bar and lands on the floor. Is she angling for me to replace her towel bar with a hook or ring? I'm sure she would find problems with that too. Perhaps she wants me to stand in the corner of the bathroom and hand her a towel and take the used towel to the laundry, like those poor maids and valets on Downton Abbey.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2016, 11:53:59 am »
I guessed it was because s/he would have to examine Diva again before performing the euthanasia to make sure she really needs it. Maybe there's even some law. But if there's a possibility the answer would be no, doesn't that call into question the reliability of the original diagnosis?

I don't think so. It could just be, Not yet.

In any case, pet owners are going through enough at that point. Even if the examination is required, I would think the charge is at the vet's discretion and could be waived.

A veterinary practice is a business, same as any other business. Things can be done if a pet owner can't afford it, but FR clearly can afford it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2016, 11:55:53 am »
I'm hoping that's the case, Kathryn. And Jeff, this cat has been remarkably healthy its whole life so it hasn't ever been to the vet. She got her shots at the animal shelter when I first brought her home 17 years ago. Where does the time go? A new development today, she has lost her ability to meow. Fortunately, we have a routine going so I know pretty much when she needs water and food and to visit her litter box. She is still purring!!

Seriously? Cats don't need boosters for whatever they get shots for? (I'm sure dogs do.) She never got regular check-ups?