Author Topic: On Caregiving  (Read 270977 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: On Caregiving
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2016, 01:21:15 pm »
Seriously? Cats don't need boosters for whatever they get shots for? (I'm sure dogs do.) She never got regular check-ups?

I spoke to my supervisor, who has two indoor cats. She rather sheepishly admitted that she hasn't taken them to the vet in five years.

Just sayin' to show that I'm learning about cats and their staff.

My supervisor also told me that she once had to have a cat euthanized, and the vet told her pretty much what the vet has told FR; however, in the end, the vet actually charged for the office visit but not for the euthanasia.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2016, 01:45:17 pm »
I suppose vets would like cats to come in and have regular checkups and booster shots and all that, but if your cat is happy and healthy, why bother? Even registration is optional for cats. Mine does have a microchip in case she got away.

While I was talking on the phone, Diva jumped down from her chair, dragged herself through the kitchen and hall and into the laundry room and used the paper around her litter box. Good kitty!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2016, 10:11:21 pm »
I don't think so. It could just be, Not yet.

But no, it was FR who didn't follow through, not the vet. The vet presumably said now was fine, hence the 24-hour window for doing it.

A veterinary practice is a business, same as any other business. Things can be done if a pet owner can't afford it, but FR clearly can afford it.

I'm not saying they should give free services just because the person is grieving. But one diagnosis of "this pet is ready to be put down" seems like enough. If the pet needs to be rediagnosed on the second examination, perhaps just in case the pet's time actually hasn't come and euthanasia isn't appropriate, that implies the first diagnosis was incorrect, and had FR acted on it within the 24 hours she would have euthanized her pet needlessly.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2016, 10:50:31 pm »
I'm not saying they should give free services just because the person is grieving. But one diagnosis of "this pet is ready to be put down" seems like enough. If the pet needs to be rediagnosed on the second examination, perhaps just in case the pet's time actually hasn't come and euthanasia isn't appropriate, that implies the first diagnosis was incorrect, and had FR acted on it within the 24 hours she would have euthanized her pet needlessly.

Or, it can simply confirm the first diagnosis.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2016, 09:13:46 am »
Our cat goes to the vet once a year for a check up and a grooming, but I suspect if the grooming wasn't needed, the vet trips would be less.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2016, 09:48:50 pm »
Coincidentally, there was a story on NPR today about a dog flu virus that was going around. The story ended with the recommendation to have your dog vaccinated only if he/she goes to indoor doggie day care often.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2016, 10:55:23 pm »
I wish I could put Charlie in doggy daycare. He's a very social, high-energy Jack Russell terrier, and although I'm lucky enough to often work from home, at least two or three days a week I leave in the morning and don't return until (at this time of year) after dark. I feel so sorry for him, sitting around all day, alone and bored.

In nicer weather, I at least take him for a walk pretty much every day, at least 30 minutes and often 60. But in winter, I wimp out. It's cold, dark and the sidewalks are icy.

If only I could afford to take him somewhere where he could play with other dogs all day! He'd be in heaven!

Plus, on days when I am home he constantly wants to play "sock chase," a game in which he grabs one of the fuzzy socks I've given him to play with and runs around the living room with it and I chase him around the chairs or wrestle it away from him and throw it for him to go fetch. Let's just say he's entertained by this for longer periods than I am. I indulge him now and then throughout the day, but I've also got work to do. And in between he frequently perches on the chair next to my desk, at best looking at me longingly with big sad eyes, at worst barking in my ear.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2016, 12:59:05 pm »
R. has a high-strung border collie and the vet advised day care for him one or two days a week. That way, R. can get things done and the border collie gets time with his buddies, gets all tired out playing, and gets some training. But if that is not in the cards for you, you can do things like off-leash dog parks and a dog run in your back yard. Also, herding dogs and terriers need to have jobs to do, or else they develop neuroses from boredom. The simplest thing is a bone that they can chew on. You could also give them a place where they can dig (terriers are bred to ferret out rodents). Fetch is good but requires a lot of your time too.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2016, 03:15:51 pm »
you could get one of these things.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDTsDxhmNVY[/youtube]

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2016, 05:12:18 pm »
R. has a high-strung border collie and the vet advised day care for him one or two days a week. That way, R. can get things done and the border collie gets time with his buddies, gets all tired out playing, and gets some training. But if that is not in the cards for you, you can do things like off-leash dog parks and a dog run in your back yard. Also, herding dogs and terriers need to have jobs to do, or else they develop neuroses from boredom. The simplest thing is a bone that they can chew on. You could also give them a place where they can dig (terriers are bred to ferret out rodents). Fetch is good but requires a lot of your time too.

It's not so much the exercise -- my backyard is fenced, so he can run around there if he likes. But he doesn't do that much, because what he really wants is social interaction (dog or human). Every few weeks I take him to stay overnight at a friend's who has two dogs and he gets so excited that when I open the car he dashes to the front door and starts flinging himself against it and barking, and when the door opens he scurries inside and immediately begins to play.

you could get one of these things.

It looks like in most cases, it still needs a human sitting there feeding the ball into the funnel. And the actual throwing of the object is really not the biggest part of the problem  :laugh:

But that dog that stood there dancing from one leg to the other with excitement was cute.

The temperature right now is above 40, so I'm going to take him out for a walk.