Author Topic: On Caregiving  (Read 271030 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: On Caregiving
« Reply #210 on: August 15, 2017, 06:28:44 pm »
What? You think you're delicious?

We must be.  Cannibals, some aliens, and zombies eat us for a reason!  Maybe we taste like chicken.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #211 on: August 15, 2017, 06:29:47 pm »
Backing up here, Chuck, you have cats? I would love to hear more about them!!

No, not now anyway.  My apartment building is pet free.

I was talking about waaaaay in the future when I'm much older, and living somewhere else.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #212 on: August 15, 2017, 06:34:49 pm »
We must be.  Cannibals, some aliens, and zombies eat us for a reason!  Maybe we taste like chicken.

:laugh:

How about rattlesnake?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #213 on: August 15, 2017, 09:23:19 pm »
Maybe that's where the air strip comes in.  ;D  Seriously, though, how far away is "a ways"?

Quite a ways. It's about 15 miles into Ten Sleep, and 20 or 30 miles to Worland.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #214 on: August 15, 2017, 09:29:58 pm »
I'm really scratching my head to try to find uplifting stories about caregiving these days. But, here's a start. I was talking with the CNA (my life is full of acronyms right now. . . CNA means clinical nurse assistant, who is the closest I'm ever gonna get to my Mom's doctor right now). And she was advising me to get mom to drink more water, because dehydration might be contributing to her symptoms. I showed her mom's big jug of water she was issued when she came to the nursing home. I had replaced the transparent straw with a big green Starbucks type straw so that mom could see it. The CNA looked at me and said, "That is brilliant!" I was so proud of myself. And mom even laughed.

But, when I went over there today, the straw was gone. I'm going to go buy a pack of them.

So, I could write thousands of words about all the terrible things that have happened. But I think, for the time being, I'm going to let the straw story stand.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2017, 10:32:41 am »
I'm really scratching my head to try to find uplifting stories about caregiving these days. But, here's a start. I was talking with the CNA (my life is full of acronyms right now. . . CNA means clinical nurse assistant, who is the closest I'm ever gonna get to my Mom's doctor right now). And she was advising me to get mom to drink more water, because dehydration might be contributing to her symptoms. I showed her mom's big jug of water she was issued when she came to the nursing home. I had replaced the transparent straw with a big green Starbucks type straw so that mom could see it. The CNA looked at me and said, "That is brilliant!" I was so proud of myself. And mom even laughed.

But, when I went over there today, the straw was gone. I'm going to go buy a pack of them.

So, I could write thousands of words about all the terrible things that have happened. But I think, for the time being, I'm going to let the straw story stand.

I'm sorry to hear how terrible things continue to be, but I'm grateful to you for sharing.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2017, 10:33:28 am »
Quite a ways. It's about 15 miles into Ten Sleep, and 20 or 30 miles to Worland.

Fifteen miles? For Wyoming isn't that practically next door?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2017, 12:20:58 pm »
Fifteen miles? For Wyoming isn't that practically next door?

Yes, but in a medical emergency it could be endangering, I suppose, depending on what kind of roads. If it's all freeway and you're in an ambulance, it might be OK.

A friend of mine lives in rural northern California half an hour from the nearest drugstore. She seems quite happy there, but I couldn't live like that.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2017, 01:21:06 pm »
Yes, but in a medical emergency it could be endangering.

Seriously, I have wondered about that. Given my age and state of health, and other reasons, I have more or less given up my idea of retiring to Wyoming.

I think I remember there's some kind of medical facility in Buffalo; I can check on that, but, still. ...

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2017, 06:37:23 pm »
I'm really scratching my head to try to find uplifting stories about caregiving these days.

Well,it's a hard topic to be uplifted about.