Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain/FanFiction has made National Press  (Read 3548 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Brokeback Mountain/FanFiction has made National Press
« on: October 22, 2006, 06:44:04 pm »
This is a good article about the phenomenon of fan fiction, and there's even our own Sheera's Brokeback Mountain story mentioned obliquely...

In the fanfic alternative reality, Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul, the at-each-other's-throat judges on "American Idol," are a huggems couple. The guys from "Brokeback Mountain" are cabaret dancers in Nazi Germany. Elizabeth and Jane from "Pride and Prejudice" are college freshmen, with Darcy and Bingley as the guys next door and the girls' parents as resident advisers.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNjcmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMDg2NTkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3

Cool, huh?
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Brokeback Mountain/FanFiction has made National Press
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 08:37:23 pm »
Thanks for posting this, Lynne. It is interesting and an interesting follow on to the Wall Street Journal article I posted a week or two ago (look on the board, the link is here).

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 10:14:33 pm »
That was an interesting read! I remember the article you posted too Leslie... it's strange how before BBM I never even considered reading or writing fanfic, I had no clue this little world existed....

I haven't read Sheera's about Nazi Germany... anyone have a link?
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 06:17:57 am »
It is here on this board: "Nightfall" by Living in Transcendence.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 06:57:09 am »
Thanks for posting that link  :)

WOW - how totally cool that Sheera was mentioned!  :)

Mandy - I highly recommend Sheera's fic, her poetic writing is brilliant.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 08:50:18 am »
Awsome, thanks guys!  :D
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 06:47:49 pm »
This is a good article about the phenomenon of fan fiction, and there's even our own Sheera's Brokeback Mountain story mentioned obliquely...

In the fanfic alternative reality, Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul, the at-each-other's-throat judges on "American Idol," are a huggems couple. The guys from "Brokeback Mountain" are cabaret dancers in Nazi Germany. Elizabeth and Jane from "Pride and Prejudice" are college freshmen, with Darcy and Bingley as the guys next door and the girls' parents as resident advisers.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNjcmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMDg2NTkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3

Cool, huh?                  thanks for that lynne, very interesting reading, and very informative...enjoyed that a lot..                                                                                       janice
-Lynneote]                                                                                                                   

Beautiful mind

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 04:22:53 am »
'Scuse me, that's ONE caberet dancer/actor, and one struggling artist...count 'em.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters