Author Topic: Buddy Films  (Read 12832 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Buddy Films
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:49:43 am »
I watched "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl" yesterday. A surprisingly funny film, and yet another buddy flick. The "me" of the title was Greg, a high school senior played by Thomas Mann. He was so good, I had to look him up. His buddy, Earl, is played by R. J. Cyler. Both new to the screen, pretty much, and rising actors to watch! Their chemistry when they were on the screen together was riveting! Reminded me of Butch and Sundance.

That brings to mind buddy films in general. What are your favorites? Here's a list to help jog your memory.

I see on imdb that a film is coming soon pitting Batman against Superman. That will have to be on the list.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Buddy Films
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 09:32:31 pm »
I watched "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl" yesterday. A surprisingly funny film, and yet another buddy flick. The "me" of the title was Greg, a high school senior played by Thomas Mann. He was so good, I had to look him up. His buddy, Earl, is played by R. J. Cyler. Both new to the screen, pretty much, and rising actors to watch! Their chemistry when they were on the screen together was riveting! Reminded me of Butch and Sundance.

That brings to mind buddy films in general. What are your favorites? Here's a list to help jog your memory.

I see on imdb that a film is coming soon pitting Batman against Superman. That will have to be on the list.

That one has been p-a-a-a-a-n-ed. But I would see it just for Henry Cavill as Superman.  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 08:46:01 am »

I believe it's out now, and reviews have not been kind.  LOL

Too bad, as this film was supposed to be a 'stepping stone' to a Justice League movie.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 05:21:37 pm »
Do you suppose Marvel has been conducting a smear campaign against them? There are quite a few people in the camp of those who maintain that a Superhero with angst is not "manly" enough.

But there's a second strike against the movie for me. Ben Affleck is in it. He's one of my least favorite actors.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 07:35:25 pm »
Do you suppose Marvel has been conducting a smear campaign against them? There are quite a few people in the camp of those who maintain that a Superhero with angst is not "manly" enough.

But there's a second strike against the movie for me. Ben Affleck is in it. He's one of my least favorite actors.

I'm not sure, but it does seem that Marvel hero movies do better than the DC ones.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 08:16:26 pm »
Not sure if you would consider this a buddy film, but not long  ago I watched the "straight to DVD" film Highway with Jared Leto and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 12:33:36 pm »

For me it's just the opposite -- Ben Affleck is pretty much its *only* redeeming quality. The film has been trashed by critics. And I'm reeeeeaaallly sick of superhero movies. I've pretty much stopped seeing them unless they're some unusual revisionist take on superheroes (like that one with Will Smith was, sort of).

I skimmed through 150 of the list of buddy movies (aka bromances) and the only one I'd both seen and liked besides Butch and Sundance was "I Love You, Man."

In general, I think I do like bromances, though. I like the ones with Seth Rogen and James Franco and Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd, and I liked the TV shows "Alias Smith & Jones" (a Sundance knockoff, but good in itself) and "Star Trek" (I'm not a slash-fiction fan, but Kirk and Spock were the original slash heroes) and "Breaking Bad."

Not sure if you would consider this a buddy film, but not long  ago I watched the "straight to DVD" film Highway with Jared Leto and Jake Gyllenhaal.

How was it?

Jared Leto is apparently playing the Joker in some upcoming movie and is supposedly freakishly scary.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 02:52:26 pm »
How was it?

Jared Leto is apparently playing the Joker in some upcoming movie and is supposedly freakishly scary.

It was ok, nothing I would rush to see again.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 05:05:55 pm »
For me it's just the opposite -- Ben Affleck is pretty much its *only* redeeming quality. The film has been trashed by critics. And I'm reeeeeaaallly sick of superhero movies. I've pretty much stopped seeing them unless they're some unusual revisionist take on superheroes (like that one with Will Smith was, sort of).

You don't like Henry Cavill?

I liked the TV show "Alias Smith & Jones" (a Sundance knockoff, but good in itself).

Oh, that's an oldie!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 06:03:41 pm »
You don't like Henry Cavill?

I don't think I've seen him in anything.

Oh, that's an oldie!  :laugh:

Yes, I'm an oldie myself who remembers shows from the late '60s!  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 06:39:56 pm »
You're not old, you're seasoned.  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 10:28:35 pm »
I don't think I've seen him in anything.

Well, of course Henry Cavill is in this movie because he played Superman in Man of Steel. He was in The Tudors on TV, which I've never seen. But the first thing I ever saw him in--and he was so young it's possible he was still a teenager--was some sort of British "procedural" on PBS. But I thought he was so handsome I never forgot him.

ETA: It was an episode of The Inspector Lynley Mysteries from 2002, so he was 18 or 19 when it was made, depending on when it was filmed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317719/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_19

Yes, I'm an oldie myself who remembers shows from the late '60s!  :laugh:

I wouldn't have said that, but I remember Alias Smith and Jones, too. Now I would have said that I thought Ben Murphy was hot, but that wasn't even in my vocabulary back then. I also remember that Peter Deuel (sp?) committed suicide.  :(

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 10:35:06 am »
I wouldn't have said that, but I remember Alias Smith and Jones, too. Now I would have said that I thought Ben Murphy was hot, but that wasn't even in my vocabulary back then. I also remember that Peter Deuel (sp?) committed suicide.  :(

The show was never as good, I thought, after Pete Duel died. Ben Murphy was fine, and if the show had started out with him it would still have been good. But Pete Duel was great.

Fun fact: Long before he was "famous," Ben Murphy played a one-line role in, I think, "The Graduate." I've seen the scene, even though I can't quite be sure that was the movie -- he's in a locker room, wearing a towel and sitting on a bench, and he says something briefly to Dustin Hoffman. Or whoever the protagonist is, if it's a different movie. I don't remember a locker-room scene in "The Graduate," though. Anybody else?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 02:17:11 pm »
Fun fact: Long before he was "famous," Ben Murphy played a one-line role in, I think, "The Graduate." I've seen the scene, even though I can't quite be sure that was the movie -- he's in a locker room, wearing a towel and sitting on a bench, and he says something briefly to Dustin Hoffman. Or whoever the protagonist is, if it's a different movie. I don't remember a locker-room scene in "The Graduate," though. Anybody else?

Was he shaving?  According to Wikipedia, Ben Murphy has an uncredited part in The Graduate, with the role described as "Shaving Student".

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 10:29:30 pm »

Was he shaving?  According to Wikipedia, Ben Murphy has an uncredited part in The Graduate, with the role described as "Shaving Student".

Thank you, master of tracking down the appropriate image to answer every question someone raises in a BetterMost thread!  :D  I'd forgotten the shaving cream.

Sometimes I see some good looking guy playing some really insignificant role in something and wonder if he'll eventually go the way of Ben Murphy: play a tiny role, become famous ... and then eventually, I guess, unemployed and unknown.

Or wait, maybe not totally! He's still handsome, in fact. Though this clip is 10 years old ...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seOFBZ9gnVE[/youtube]

And this one is six years old. Plus it's obscure, apparently Christian-themed (not that there's anything wrong with that, but those don't tend to be blockbusters), and he's not one of the six or so actors named in the trailer ...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-DqLmronQs[/youtube]

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 08:33:54 am »
Thank you, master of tracking down the appropriate image to answer every question someone raises in a BetterMost thread!  :D  I'd forgotten the shaving cream.

:laugh:

You're very welcome!