Author Topic: Yale cartoonist Ngozi Ukazu's CHECK PLEASE a young gay hockey player (who bakes)  (Read 771032 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
OMGCHECKPLEASE!omgcpconfessions!
https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/omgcpconfessions
http://omgcpconfessions.tumblr.com/

jackzirnmermann
do you have check, please! headcanons or thoughts
that you’d like to share? go ahead and submit them to
omgcpconfessions, a new blog dedicated to posting
your safe for work confessions : )
#i'm mod jack btw#omgcp #check please
#omgcheckplease #text

Let’s be real– Ransom and Holster definitely drunkenly made out at least once,
if not twice.
- Anonymous

#omgcheckplease #omg check please #omgcp #ransom x holster #ransom #holster
#submissions #mod bitty
171 notes

i still don’t understand why jack has pupils - Anonymous
#omgcheckplease #omg check please #jack zimmermann
#shitty knight #Shitty #omgcp #better to flirt with
1,221 notes

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:36:41 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

i still don’t understand why jack has pupils - Anonymous
#omgcheckplease #omg check please #jack zimmermann
#shitty knight #Shitty #omgcp #better to flirt with
1,221 notes

Ngozi ☆ TCAF
‏@ngoziu
https://twitter.com/ngoziu
NEXT COMIC. Jack gets help from Bitty for
their history seminar final and Bitty comes
to a startling realization.

https://twitter.com/ngoziu/status/548656087390375937
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:37:04 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
OMGCHECKPLEASE!FANART_ZIMMERMANN_CHARM
http://jackzimmermann.co.vu/

"ZIMMERMANN CHARM"
hi! i'm kaylee
and i have a lot of feelings about fictional hockey players
(carohdanvers' sideblog)

jack canonically planned (or is still planning) to be captain america for halloween  x

http://jackzimmermann.co.vu/post/144353296562/jack-canonically-planned-or-is-still-planning-to
http://jackzimmermann.co.vu/image/144353296562

May 14th, 2016 168 notes
#i'm blogging from beyond the grave #this info killed me #what a dweeb!!
#i love him #jack #omgcp #fan art #my art #mine #jacklesnbitst

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:37:22 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:35:08 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
lmao at the pupils joke

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

• BetterMost Supporter!
OMGCHECKPLEASE!FANART_HOMEO_AND_JULIET
http://www.imgrum.net/user/homeoandjuliet/3228251142

Zimbits ||
“The moment that you stand there in front of the mirror and you say to your reflection, “I am gay.”
From that very moment, everything starts to get easier and simpler. Because from here you start
to become stronger and stop being the victim. The moment when you accept yourself is the moment
when you realize it’s less important that people like you and more important that they accept you.”
— Assi Azar

(Hi! I'm Nikki. Uh..welcome...k bye)

#zimbits #gay #lgbt# lgbtq
#jackzimmermann #zimmermann
#ericbittle #bittle #checkplease
#lesbian

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:36:13 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

Offline fritzkep

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Over the weekend I looked at all the canon cartoons, fantastic! Looking forward to seeing more. Thanks!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
I have to start reading this weekend.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

• BetterMost Supporter!

lmao at the pupils joke

When you think about it, Chuck, it is kind of weird that, of all the characters in the omgcp (omgcheckplease!) universe, Jack only has pupils. He is also the most complex of all the characters--he is angst-ridden, self-doubting, and, in the past, most troubled (probably not suicidal, but did nearly died from an overdose)--he is also always trying to do better (and he literally has a poster on his bedroom wall that says: 'Be Better'). The eyes of the other characters are opaque, so the reader looks for facial expressions, body language, dialogue and text. When you look at Jack, you look into his eyes.

Ngozi obviously treats Jack as a special character, maybe has a bit of a crush on him (regardless he is her own creation!) but she also makes fun of his seriousness. I wish I had copied and saved three visual jokes, now I can't find them to post (drat!) but: in one alteration, she took an earlier image of Bitty wearing a frilly apron, holding a pie, looking over his shoulder, and saying 'Coming, Sweetheart!' (we assume he's saying it to You-Know-Who)--but in the alteration, Ngozi has changed the face only, from Bitty---to Jack!--and Jack's blue eyes and pupils--and it looks VERY weird! In a second, companion image, Jack is being tall, Adonis-like Jack, but his face has been changed to Bitty's cherub face. Third joke image: one of the characters is joining the whole Haus crew--and when they all turn around, SHOCK--they are all wearing huge, bugging Jack-like blue eyes with pupils boring out at the frightened viewer--very Twilight Zone, Rod Serling-type bizarre!

Anyway, Jack's eyes are always commented upon (nearly as much as his famous beautiful ass), like this:

OMGCHECKPLEASE!FANART_SOFT_CHEDDAR
http://dazeli.tumblr.com/

Alright so Jack’s pupils. We all know he’s the only one who has them clearly visible (because the others do have them, I mean they have to, otherwise this hockey team would be full of blind bros and I don’t think that would work very well on the ice) all the time through the entire comic.

I think the reason for that is that all the other characters express themselves a lot, and sometimes very loudly. Jack on the other hand, doesn’t do that, and since he probably has the body language fluidity of a zamboni, his face has to do the job of showing us (the readers) what kind of emotions he’s having inside, hence why his pupils are so important.

I’ve noted 5 kinds of pupils Jack has through the comic: contracted, semi-contracted, normal, semi-dilated and dilated. (Now’s the time for that sweet collage that took me way to much time)

(all the pictures are from the comic, obviously)

Jack’s pupils are contracted when in a state of shock, or fear (or both). This is probably also the state of his pupils when he’s overwhelmed by anxiety. I think his face speaks for itself: brows high and eyes wide, with his pupils contracted into an itty-bitty tiny dot.

They are semi-contracted when he’s angry or pissed, and maybe just when he’s very serious. The semi-contracted pupils appear mostly when he’s playing hockey (or going to in the very near future). So they are probably related to his “game face,” my guess is that this is also his “media face.”

The normal dilatation of Jack’s pupils is basically his “resting bitch face”. The difference with the semi-contracted one is very slim, the main difference being that he’s not angry, or pissed, but just “ok”.

When they are semi-dilated, Jack’s usually in a good mood and his expression is softer. His brows are a little higher and he’s usually smiling a little. I do believe it to be his “chirping face” and just overall “I’m doing good today” face.

When the pupils are dilated, oh boy, he’s happy alright. His pupils get this dilated when, you guessed it, he’s around Bitty. He’s always smiling and looking at Bitty fondly, but Bitty, being the obvious sweet cinnamon roll he is, is never looking at him in the eyes, when he has this expression on. I think this is one of the most important expressions, because it literally says “I like this smol tiny southern belle. This is my precious itty-bitty tiny southern baker who I will protect at all cost.”

I also have found this article about love and pupils dilatation (x), and that just confirms it for me: There’s no way Jack Zimmermann is thinking of Bitty as “just a friend” by the time he gives him this look.

That look is the look of a man in love if I’ve ever seen one.

Soft Cheddar

Eli ● 20 ● Female ● 5'3" ● Québec ● Canada
The frenchiest and cheesiest cat lady you've ever known. This blog is now Check Please trash and cats.

#OMGCP      #OMGCHECKPLEASE      #OMG CHECK PLEASE      #CHECK PLEASE      #JACK ZIMMERMANN

LATE ADDITION: Finally found this!

Third joke image: one of the characters is joining the whole Haus crew--and when they all turn around, SHOCK--they are all wearing huge, bugging Jack-like blue eyes with pupils boring out at the frightened viewer--very Twilight Zone, Rod Serling-type bizarre!

http://pensversusswords.tumblr.com/

::) :laugh:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:37:58 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
Over the weekend I looked at all the canon cartoons, fantastic! Looking forward to seeing more. Thanks!

I have to start reading this weekend.

I'm really pleased you both like Ngozi's creation--I hope you you enjoy it!

:D

"Camping Out"