Author Topic: A Freudian Perspective  (Read 9569 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
A Freudian Perspective
« on: November 07, 2016, 01:01:48 pm »
This review of the movie addresses that age-old question, Were Jack and Ennis homosexual? and takes a Freudian view.

http://internationalpsychoanalysis.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/shillbrokebackmountainreview.pdf
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: A Freudian Perspective
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 01:25:45 pm »
Very unconvincing. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 02:25:06 pm »
I thought so too. For one thing, the author says something like "Jack's mother was never mentioned" when he mentioned her at least once and seems to have had a nice relationship with her. The author never addresses the scene in the Twist house at the end.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 02:29:12 pm »
Very unconvincing. 

You're being kind.

I'd say to call it a film about "maternal deprivation" is bull.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 02:30:04 pm »
I thought so too. For one thing, the author says something like "Jack's mother was never mentioned" when he mentioned her at least once and seems to have had a nice relationship with her. The author never addresses the scene in the Twist house at the end.

Good point, FRiend!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 03:19:49 pm »
I'd be more convinced if somebody argued that Ennis and Jack were both looking for the love they never received from their fathers. We know Jack's father was openly contemptuous of Jack, and Ennis' father made Ennis look at the dead Earl and then got himself and Ennis' mother killed in an automobile accident.

Isn't that at least part of a "classic" Freudian explanation for male homosexuality, an emotionally distant or absent father?

(I mean "convinced" as a Freudian explanation, not necessarily convinced as in "correct.")