Author Topic: ADDICTED TO CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS?  (Read 84083 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: ADDICTED TO CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS?
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2021, 05:57:58 pm »
Although they have a Jewish lifestyle, they don't celebrate Hannukah or light the menorah. S-i-l explained to me that Hannukah is just a commemoration of a minor battle victory. Their major holidays are in the fall, with Purim and Yom Kippur, but it seems like they don't celebrate those as much lately either. I think that's part of the reason why they want to change churches because the congregation is not engaged enough to put on these events.

See, for years, probably more like a decade or more, I've been telling myself that I should get a small menorah because I believe that the victory of the Maccabees is, historically speaking, properly as much as part of Christian heritage as the Old Testament. I believe memories of the Maccabees informed the politics of Palestine in Jesus' day--some people thought he was going to be the great king and military leader who was going to drive out the Romans and restore Jewish independence, as had the Maccabees. In one of the Gospels I once came across what I took to be a reference to Hannukah, but not by name, something about Jesus in the Temple, and it's winter, but I never could memorize books, chapters, and verses, so I can't provide a citation.

On historical grounds I would kind of dispute the idea that Hannukah commemorates a "minor" victory.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2021, 06:34:44 pm »
You are right, Jeff. Hannuka doesn't commemmorate a "minor" victory, rather a big and important victory in Jewish history.
It restored the Jewish sovereignity over Jerusalem and the re-inauguration of the temple.

Excuse me for saying so, Lee, but your s-i-l's  religion seems like a totally fucked up mixture that belongs neither here nor there.
It seems like a homemade concoction with no real connection to Judaism whatsoever.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2021, 09:05:13 pm »
You are right, Jeff. Hannuka doesn't commemmorate a "minor" victory, rather a big and important victory in Jewish history.
It restored the Jewish sovereignity over Jerusalem and the re-inauguration of the temple.

Thanks for the confirmation.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2021, 06:26:31 pm »
Excuse me for saying so, Lee, but your s-i-l's  religion seems like a totally fucked up mixture that belongs neither here nor there.
It seems like a homemade concoction with no real connection to Judaism whatsoever.

I excuse you, Sonja. I have thought a similar thing myself. The good news is that my daughter's family is leaving that church and hopefully their new community of faith will be more grounded. R. was also telling me that Messianic Judaism is a "made up" religion, not a "revealed" religion like the Abrahamic ones. There is plenty of made-up stuff in all religions though as well as different ways to interpret everything in the sacred texts.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2021, 07:21:02 pm »
I'm glad to hear they're leaving it. Hopefully they'll find something better and more real.

I agree with your R, that Messianic Judaism is made up. It doesn't belong in Judaism at all, and should find itself another name.  Why not "Made up Mess"?  :laugh: 

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre