Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain Remake?  (Read 23654 times)

Online CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Brokeback Mountain Remake?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 08:25:00 pm »
I'm not so sure....

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 08:40:58 pm »
Well, CellarDweller, we will always have Ang's Brokeback with Heath and Jake to comfort us with, right? We have like THE perfect movie to lose ourselves in, nobody can take that way, right? How bad can a remake get?

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 09:27:17 pm »
Well, CellarDweller, we will always have Ang's Brokeback with Heath and Jake to comfort us with, right? We have like THE perfect movie to lose ourselves in, nobody can take that way, right? How bad can a remake get?

Oh, don't ask!!!!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline TrentonT

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 01:35:20 am »

A remake isn't necessary as the original one was an instant classic. Maybe in 50 years or so.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 12:04:06 pm by TrentonT »

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 02:11:51 am »
Hey TrentonT!

You're new, right? Wanna talk?  ;D I'm feeling quite lonely here, talking all by myself :).

As for the remake - sure, you're right, it is an instant classic. Actually i have this idea that every director and actor should have some kind of classic (like in theater) which they should challenge themselves with, so that the audience can have different versions / interpretations of the same story. It would be quite interesting to watch. Since Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain is just SO perfect i would not feel offended if the remake sucks.

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 08:38:34 am »
actually, for BBM there may be a time where it's 'too late' for a remake.

If attitudes towards the lgbtiq community continue to change, a remake of Brokeback would be seen almost as a 'period  piece' where you have to go back in time for the story to be plausible.

I agree, it wouldn't have anywhere near the same impact at all. 

As for a happy ending, the reason it hit everyone so hard is exactly because of the ending.  For a HEA, it would have turned into just another movie - it wouldn't have left people sitting in their seats as the credits rolled, unable to get up, not knowing what just hit them, not knowing how to accept it, where to go and who to talk to about it - and i certainly don't think it would have created the community around discussions and interpretations of every single scene and line of dialogue, not to mention scenes with NO dialogue (what did that look mean?)

I also can't imagine any music for a remake that could be better than the original Santaolalla masterpiece - those first two chords.  Improve on that?  I don't think so.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDSvwNBYhNs[/youtube]
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 05:04:45 pm »
I agree, N. I think there are many reasons for the eartquake it caused in all of us, but the not-HEA ending is certainly one of them.

And those two first chords.............

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 05:45:18 pm »
there are other gay movies that  have happy endings.

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 10:14:15 pm »
Hey, i'll take that back about the happy ending  ;D. Party because i somehow came to consensus with the current one.

I don't know whether anything (even music) can be done better, but i'm sure that several things can be done differently without changing the whole story or the characters. One example that pops up in my mind is the Romeo and Juliet version with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. It's the same story and the same characters, but in a different setting. I don't mean to say that it was a brilliant movie, but it was in a way refreshing ;).

Well, sure i can smart off endlessly here, but - truth is - i surely have no idea about shooting / directing movies, acting or writing movie scripts!  ;D ;D

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 07:25:48 pm »
I don't know whether anything (even music) can be done better, but i'm sure that several things can be done differently without changing the whole story or the characters. One example that pops up in my mind is the Romeo and Juliet version with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. It's the same story and the same characters, but in a different setting. I don't mean to say that it was a brilliant movie, but it was in a way refreshing ;).

I'm on the fence when it comes to remakes.  I don't want to say that the originals should never be touched, but at the same time, I often feel with a remake "been there, done that".   I think Hollywood does so many remakes because it's so hard to write good, original, material.