Author Topic: Armie Hammer & Timothée Chalamet find love in Call Me By Your Name (2017)  (Read 779714 times)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Saw it, finally and loved it! I especially loved Armie Hammer and Timothée Chalamet. They were just perfect in their individual roles and perfect together. What a wonderful speech the father gave, he nearly, well, did, steal the show for a few minutes. I don't think I would have appreciated the film nearly as much without my Brokeback experience. I would have seen it as another Room With a View, updated for more modern times.

A couple of quibbles. The mom didn't know? Of course she knew. Otherwise, why would she have chosen that passage to translate from German. I'm so done with clueless or missing moms in movies.

The other one (a mild spoiler follows). They're on the bed. Finally, first night in the tent is happening and suddenly, the camera operator LOSES CONTROL of the camera and it slides unsteadily to the right and looks OUT THE WINDOW at a TREE. WTF? Excuse me!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Saw it, finally and loved it! I especially loved Armie Hammer and Timothée Chalamet. They were just perfect in their individual roles and perfect together. What a wonderful speech the father gave, he nearly, well, did, steal the show for a few minutes. I don't think I would have appreciated the film nearly as much without my Brokeback experience. I would have seen it as another Room With a View, updated for more modern times.

A couple of quibbles. The mom didn't know? Of course she knew. Otherwise, why would she have chosen that passage to translate from German. I'm so done with clueless or missing moms in movies.

The other one (a mild spoiler follows). They're on the bed. Finally, first night in the tent is happening and suddenly, the camera operator LOSES CONTROL of the camera and it slides unsteadily to the right and looks OUT THE WINDOW at a TREE. WTF? Excuse me!!
From the clips I've seen, Elio's mom knew.  She knew driving him back in that car scene.  How could she not know?
As for the scene you describe, the director discussed that in an interview. The director said he wanted you to focus on what was outside and not intrude but know on purpose.  Sometimes it is not what you see that is the most powerful...   --> http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/call-me-by-your-name-sex-scene-luca-guadagnino-1201910219/
V.
How do you hide when you are running from yourself?

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't

Yay, glad you loved it too!

***spoilers***

I have struggled with this too.  To me, the question is "know what?"  At first viewing, I thought it referred to Elios' relationship with Oliver.  Of couse she knew! She's comforting him while driving him home from the station, etc. Far from clueless, she was very gently supportive and knowing.

After my second viewing, I think the "what" is Dad's revelation that he came close to a gay relationship at some point.  Did other people hear it this way???

Agree with Vincent.

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwIJwZRq4YM[/youtube]

From the novel:

Perlman: "Then let me say one more thing.  It will clear the air. I may have come close, but I never had what you had. Something always held me back or stood in the way".....

Elio (narrator):  We said good night.  On my way upstairs I vowed to ask him about his life.  We'd all heard about his women when he was young, but I'd never even had an inkling of anything else.  
Was my father someone else? And if he was someone else, who was I?

So, is this what "does Mother know?" refer to?  Perlman says, "I don't think she does".

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Since we're on the subject, I thought I'd share my experience of seeing the film the second time.  

Toward the beginning of Perlman's speech are these lines:

"You had a beautiful friendship.  Maybe more than a friendship.  And I envy you.  In my place, most parents would hope the whole thing goes away, or pray that their sons land on their feet soon enough.  But I am not such a parent."

There were cheers!  And tears.  

"I am not such a parent."  Just wow.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
What a wonderful speech the father gave, he nearly, well, did, steal the show for a few minutes. I don't think I would have appreciated the film nearly as much without my Brokeback experience. I would have seen it as another Room With a View, updated for more modern times.

I'm with you on that, Lee. About six weeks ago, two days after the NYC release, and just after my second screening (I've seen the film four times total now), I said this in the New Yorker Culture Tent thread:

The CAST is amazing. (The cliche that there are no small parts is certainly true here.) Elio's mother (Amira Casar), in a smaller role, IS AMAZING. A different--and better!--review noted that Elio's mother has the same facial expression, the same hooded eyes as her son when either of them (separately), with an appraising glance, looks at--well, at Oliver, of course. And I went: woah!

Luncheon under the trees: Mrs Perlman, Professor Perlman, Oliver and Elio
Amira Casar, Michael Stuhlbarg, Armie Hammer and Timothée Chalamet

And her eyes--everywhere:

From the clips I've seen, Elio's mom knew.  She knew driving him back in that car scene.  How could she not know?

V.

I have struggled with this too.  To me, the question is "know what?"  At first viewing, I thought it referred to Elios' relationship with Oliver.  Of course she knew! She's comforting him while driving him home from the station, etc. Far from clueless, she was very gently supportive and knowing.

Indeed.

By the way--doesn't that anguished crooked arm look strangely familiar?

Oh Luca, you are a genius! Timmy too, of course!

A statue seen on a trip to an archaeological site in Lake Garda.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 02:15:46 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

More Crooked Arms!!

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
http://marqslo.tumblr.com/

by mary / 19 / slytherin thunderbird

Twenty years was yesterday,
and yesterday was just earlier this morning,
and morning seemed light-years away.

Call Me By Your Name  by André Aciman
Recited/Narrated by Armie Hammer

by mary / 19 / slytherin thunderbird http://marqslo.tumblr.com/

4th November 2017 223 Notes

#timothée chalamet  #elio  #elio perlman  #armie hammer  #oliver  #ulliva  #actor
#call me by your name  #cmbyn  #andré aciman  #luca guadagnino  #lgbt
#movies  #film #lgbtmovie  #oscar  #laterpeaches 🍑
#art  #my art  #artist  #portrait  #drawing  #fanart
#artists on tumblr  #illustration  #trash
#later!

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by mary / 19 / slytherin thunderbird

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
https://stang1996.deviantart.com/

by stang1996

Reading poetry (Paul Celan) on Monet's Berm
(can't wait to watch the film!)

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by stang1996
https://stang1996.deviantart.com/

Artist | Student | Digital Art
Thailand
I'm STNG from Thailand.
21 / university student / astray romanticist

Fan Art / Digital Art / Painting & Airbrushing / Movies & TV©2017 stang1996
#CMBYN   #CallMeByYourName   #cmbyn trailer   #cmbyn discourse
#elio  #elio perlman  #oliver  #ulliva  #peach  #laterpeaches 🍑
#timothée chalamet  #armie hammer  #andré aciman  #luca guadagnino
#book   #novel   #film  #movie  #gay movie  #sonyclassics   #lgbt
#animeboy #digitalart #digitalpainting #fanartdigital #yaoi
#art  #my art #artwork #artist

Oh yeah!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:31:50 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwIJwZRq4YM[/youtube]

From the novel:

Perlman: "Then let me say one more thing.  It will clear the air. I may have come close, but I never had what you had. Something always held me back or stood in the way".....

Elio (narrator):  We said good night.  On my way upstairs I vowed to ask him about his life.  We'd all heard about his women when he was young, but I'd never even had an inkling of anything else.  
Was my father someone else? And if he was someone else, who was I?

So, is this what "does Mother know?" refer to?  Perlman says, "I don't think she does".
His speech is awesome!  His frank admission that he came close to having a gay relationship is just over the top.  As far as mom knowing that scene where she is driving Elio back, she clearly knows what is up and is comforting him. Maybe she never said anything to his dad.. but it is very clear, she knew what was happening.

I also agree with your point.  The "what" is somewhat ambiguous.  Does Mom know about me and Oliver, I think that is of course.  Does Mom know about what you are admitting to me (that you came close to having a gay relationship) is also quite possibly what Elio is asking his dad.   WOW... I had not even considered that angle but given the conversation, it is something which is well within the scope of the deep-ass conversation.

Oh MY. You guys are damn good.  Those crooked arms from the statue surfacing from the deep and Elio's crooked arms, he's also surfacing from a deep emotional experience.. WOW, just damn WOW.  I can tell, I'll need to see this gem multiple times to absorb all these nuances. 

Keep'm coming!   Amazing.
V.
How do you hide when you are running from yourself?

• BetterMost Supporter!
Oh MY. You guys are damn good.  Those crooked arms from the statue surfacing from the deep and Elio's crooked arms, he's also surfacing from a deep emotional experience.. WOW, just damn WOW.  I can tell, I'll need to see this gem multiple times to absorb all these nuances.  

Keep'm coming!   Amazing.
V.

It's not us, it's Luca, we swear!

Here's another tidbit re the subaqueous statue. When it is brought up from the depths of Lago di Garda and put on the beach, Elio and Oliver, side-by-side, are both intently inspecting it. There is one shot taken just above and behind Oliver, looking down at the sculpture's face, and Oliver's splayed fingers are gently playing over the statue's open lips.

Well.

Sometime later, lying flat side-by-side in the grass (the area known as Monet's Berm in the book only), Elio says "I love this Oliver."

Oliver says "Us, you mean?" Elio says "Everything."

And THAT  is when Oliver half rolls, half raises, turns towards Elio, his fingers gently playing on Elio's open lips--but Pygmalion/Armie/Oliver discovers that Galatea/Timmy/Elio's lips are far much responsive than that old bronze sculpture!

BOOM!

It's wonderful.

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
https://twitter.com/chroniclikerrr
https://yotagram.com/cmbyn_art/

by Nikko Tan
                            @chroniclikerrr

Monet's Berm
(Sampled the colors from Monet's paintings in Bordighera)

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by Nikko Tan
                                                                           @chroniclikerrr

https://twitter.com/chroniclikerrr
https://twitter.com/hashtag/callmebyyourname?lang=en

Sep 26, 2017 0 Notes, 35 Likes

Fan Art / Digital Art / Drawings / Nikko Tan / @chroniclikerrr
#CMBYN   #CallMeByYourName
#elio  #elio perlman  #oliver  #ulliva  #laterpeaches 🍑
#andré aciman  #armie hammer  #timothée chalamet  #luca guadagnino
#book   #novel   #film  #movie  #sonyclassics   #lgbt
#art #artwork #artist #digital art #digitalart
#digitalpainting #fanart #fanartdigital
#cmbyn_art #monet

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

Lee! Something else to make your eyes pop:

The original two American producers Peter Spears (the husband of Timmie's agent, and the man who first read André Aciman's book still in galley form and bought the rights) and partner Howard Rosenman were literally begging and scrounging for funds for TEN YEARS. Year after year, meeting after meeting with potential backers, the people with real money would read (or rather, LISTEN as Peter or Luca would explain or act out) the story of the script. And the money men (a lot of them Americans, I think) would say--but WHERE is the CONFLICT? There HAS to be CONFLICT in the THIRD ACT, isn't there?? Otherwise there is NO MOVIE, right? And Luca would explain that he does not believe in strained, artificial constructs forcing fake drama. The money men would mostly bail, but one guy thought he had a GREAT idea, the perfect conflict/resolution that would make it the perfect movie. He would bring in all the money needed for the production IF--(this is for real, it was actually proposed)-IF--

--they could make the Mother EVIL.

No. Luca and Peter rolled their eyes and kept looking, and finally two new producers, Emilie Georges from France and Rodrigo Teixeira from Brazil and another producer from Italy liked Luca's No-Conflict gay love story and came up with the money (although a much smaller amount than Peter, Luca and James first planned).

Aren't you glad that beautiful, sweet, subtle, complex, WISE mom, Amira Casar, didn't have to be Evil? For Conflict in the 'Third Act'?

Omg!    ::) ::) ::)

FYI, I think maybe possibly  the producers Emilie and Rodrigo are the two people in the back row extreme left in this photo taken at the 2017 Berlin Film Festival, February 2017.

The (partial) cast and crew of Call Me by Your Name

Front Row: Victoire Du Bois (Chiara) Esther Garrel (Marzia) Timothée Chalamet (Elio) André Aciman (Author--and Mounir)
Amira Casar (Annella) Luca Guadagnino (Director)
Center Back Row: Peter Spears (Producer--and Isaac) and, Far Right Back Row: Armie Hammer (Oliver)

Photo: Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:20:32 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"