Author Topic: Top Favorite Films!  (Read 138510 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Top Favorite Films!
« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2018, 09:43:48 am »
Actually, the whereabouts of Carol Brady's first husband are a mystery.

When filming started for the show, it was originally thought that one of the parents would be divorced.   They didn't want audiences to think badly of Mike Brady, so they made him a widower.  This was addressed in the first episode.  Carol Brady was to be divorced, as per the show's creator, Sherwood Schwartz, but the network felt that may be too risqué, so her first husband was never even mentioned.

Maybe it also might have created a practical issue in writing. If Carol was divorced, how come the girls never saw their father?

I suppose Carol could have been divorced, and then her first husband/father of Marcia, Jan, and Cindy, was killed in a car accident, or something.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2018, 10:54:46 am »
My boss keeps bugging me, saying I need to see The Big Lebowski.

Has anyone here seen it?

:laugh: More like, has anyone here NOT seen it?

A lot of people really like it and it's a huge cult favorite. Me, I was pretty meh about it. If you're going to devote time to watching Coen brothers' movies, there are probably at least 10 that are better, IMO.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2018, 11:15:44 am »
I think earlier on this thread we were talking about how older men could be paired with younger women on the screen, but not vice versa.

A prime example of the obverse is Emmanuel Macron and Brigitte Trogneaux, his wife. Emmanuel was a 15-year-old when he met his future wife, who was his drama teacher in high school . She is 24 years his senior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Macron#Personal_life

Yes, that's my favorite thing about Macron! (Mainly because I'm the usual ignorant American and know hardly anything BUT that about Macron.)

I was just complaining the other night (to a Canadian) that Canada, Mexico and France all have handsome leaders, whereas we have ... you know.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2018, 08:09:40 pm »
Yes, and I would advise you to pass. It's all about Jeff Bridges in a bathrobe dispensing platitudes, the inane plot merely an excuse.

How it can be in the National Film Registry and not Brokeback is a crying shame.  ???

:laugh: More like, has anyone here NOT seen it?

A lot of people really like it and it's a huge cult favorite. Me, I was pretty meh about it. If you're going to devote time to watching Coen brothers' movies, there are probably at least 10 that are better, IMO.

I shall refrain from telling my boss your opinions.  LOL

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2018, 11:57:10 am »
I shall refrain from telling my boss your opinions.  LOL

True, if you want to get that raise or promotion someday, you'd better get busy watching it. It's not great, IMO, but it's not torture. And a lot of people really do like it.

You could go the boss one better and watch all the Coen brothers' movies and say, "Yeah, TBL was OK but I much preferred 'No Country for Old Men' or 'A Serious Man' or 'Raising Arizona' or 'Brother Where Art Thou' or ..." etc. But that probably won't get you the promotion, either.

I think TBL is kind of a bro movie. Like "Caddyshack" or Adam Sandler movies, except for more highbrow bros. Highbros! And probably also a good amount of high bros!  :laugh:

My son, the one who majored in Media Arts and Culture, wrote his senior thesis about the nuanced subtextual philosophies in "No Country for Old Men" and "A Serious Man." The paper was really good -- kind of like those old posts deeply analyzing BBM -- and made me appreciate both movies even more. But from my recollection of "The Big Lebowski," it would not have been a great addition to the discussion.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2018, 11:45:34 pm »
I think TBL is kind of a bro movie. Like "Caddyshack" or Adam Sandler movies, except for more highbrow bros. Highbros! And probably also a good amount of high bros!  :laugh:

That's enough to make me not want to watch it.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #176 on: August 31, 2018, 10:59:56 am »

That's enough to make me not want to watch it.

I know. I don't like that kind of movie either, and to be fair The Big Lebowski is better than those. It's perfectly tolerable. If your job is on the line  :laugh: you might as well go ahead and watch it.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2018, 11:00:47 am »
I know. I don't like that kind of movie either, and to be fair The Big Lebowski is better than those. It's perfectly tolerable. If your job is on the line  :laugh: you might as well go ahead and watch it.

My job's not on the line, but I have little to no desire for "bro movies".