Author Topic: Do I get really really old?  (Read 4994 times)

Offline Corax

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Do I get really really old?
« on: October 02, 2017, 06:27:53 am »
 :o
Yesterday I was in my car with my nephew (16 years old). I played a CD of one of my favorite bands ("Innuendo" by Queen). M. listened to the music for a while and then said: "Oh, that's really old stuff?" I answered "No, it isn't old stuff, it's Queen". "Ummh", he said, "it sounds really old.  Are they still alive?" - "Yes and no, Freddy Mercury died in 1991. The other band members are still alive" - "Because he was too old?" - "No, he died of AIDS, a serious disease" - "I didn't know. I think I heard of a Musical related to that Freddy Mercury. But I don't like musicals". Can we listen to another music?"
I turned the radio on...

I guess I'm really old. My nephew doesn't know the bands of my youth....
Perhaps because he only ever listens to "Top100" on Spotify?
I'm a bit shocked...  

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Do I get really really old?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:49:28 am »
Maybe it can console you that my daughter has been a huge Queen and Beatles fan since she was like 12 (she's 21 now). So of course my other kids are also very familiar with it. :)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 07:53:35 pm »
Some kids like older music, and others don't.  My friend's daughter is a freshman in college, and really likes Pat Benatar.  Her last big hit was in '86, I think. 

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Corax

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 04:38:38 am »
Some kids like older music, and others don't.  My friend's daughter is a freshman in college, and really likes Pat Benatar.  Her last big hit was in '86, I think. 

:-*

I was so shocked because he didn't even KNOW the name of the band.  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 10:42:02 am »
Well, I don't know how it is in Germany, but I can't remember the last time I heard Queen on the radio here in NJ/NYC

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!