Author Topic: Celebrating Halloween  (Read 24137 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Celebrating Halloween
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2022, 10:06:02 pm »
My lights are lit, including the jack-o-lanterns in the side windows, and I've ended spooky season by watching the original 1978 "Halloween".

I used to watch the 1979 version of Dracula, with Frank Langella and Laurence Olivier, but I never got around to finding it on DVD.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2022, 10:11:01 pm »
Technically, both are correct.  Some feel that "lighted" is more correct...

I think I would write, "I lit the candle at sundown," but "The candle was lighted at sundown."

Anyway, one thing I might add to put paid to celebrating Halloween: The unsold candy goes on sale November 1.  :laugh:

(I needed a few things from the drugstore yesterday, and while I was there I picked up a bag of Reese's peanut butter cups and a bag of candy corn at half price.  ;D )

(It's funny. I never really cared much for candy corn, but this year I had a craving for it.  ??? )

« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 08:35:33 am by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2023, 03:09:27 pm »
Last month already, I began to see pumpkins for sale at the supermarket where I shop, and at the farmer's market I go to when I'm at my dad's. A year, maybe two years ago, I noticed that virtually all the pumpkins for sale in both places were nice, globe-shaped fruits. That made me wonder: Not so many years ago, I remember pumpkins for sale in all kinds of odd shapes, some "tall and thin," others flat on one side (because they had lain on their sides while they were growing), as well as some--but by no means all--pumpkins that had a nice globe shape.

There has certainly been a change. I wonder what's happened?  ???

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2023, 12:50:32 pm »
The Halloween attractions have begun opening.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2023, 01:10:23 pm »
Last month already, I began to see pumpkins for sale at the supermarket where I shop, and at the farmer's market I go to when I'm at my dad's. A year, maybe two years ago, I noticed that virtually all the pumpkins for sale in both places were nice, globe-shaped fruits. That made me wonder: Not so many years ago, I remember pumpkins for sale in all kinds of odd shapes, some "tall and thin," others flat on one side (because they had lain on their sides while they were growing), as well as some--but by no means all--pumpkins that had a nice globe shape.

There has certainly been a change. I wonder what's happened?  ???

Maybe they're bred to be round, or maybe they give away the oddly shaped ones? The oddly shaped ones -- lopsided, elongated -- can actually make the coolest jack-o-lanterns.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2023, 03:02:59 pm »
Maybe the odd shaped ones go into pet feed. I've been noticing that cat and dog foods have sweet potato or pumpkin in them. It's supposed to aid digestion.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2023, 04:21:32 pm »
Or all those pumpkin-spice lattes!

Just kidding, I think a lot of pumpkin-flavored stuff doesn't even have pumpkin in it, just the spices that go into pumpkin pie. (Starbucks' lattes reportedly do contain pureed pumpkin.) I like pumpkin things in fall, so I'm not complaining. But my favorite is the Dairy Queen Pumpkin Pie Blizzard -- I'm pretty sure it has actual pumpkin pie in it (it certainly has chunks of crust).

OK, now the word "pumpkin" is  starting to look weird.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2023, 09:13:16 pm »
Maybe they're bred to be round, or maybe they give away the oddly shaped ones? The oddly shaped ones -- lopsided, elongated -- can actually make the coolest jack-o-lanterns.

I've speculated about that.

My dad always insisted that we get a pumpkin that was taller rather than rounder. He felt that made a better face.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2023, 09:20:14 pm »
Or all those pumpkin-spice lattes!

Just kidding, I think a lot of pumpkin-flavored stuff doesn't even have pumpkin in it, just the spices that go into pumpkin pie. (Starbucks' lattes reportedly do contain pureed pumpkin.) I like pumpkin things in fall, so I'm not complaining. But my favorite is the Dairy Queen Pumpkin Pie Blizzard -- I'm pretty sure it has actual pumpkin pie in it (it certainly has chunks of crust).

OK, now the word "pumpkin" is  starting to look weird.

What the world (or, I guess most of it) calls pumpkin pie, my father refers to as "spice pie" because he says it has so much spice in it you can't taste the pumpkin. The pumpkin pies my mother made were much paler in color, more orange. My father always said you could taste the pumpkin her pies. I don't know what by way of spice she may have put in the pie, but she always sprinkled cinnamon on the top.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2023, 01:13:32 pm »
October 1st, the start of "Spooky Season".

;D

I've decorated my apartment for Halloween this year.  I normally do only the windows, but decided this year to do some different things around the apartment.

Here are the before and after pics.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!