Author Topic: Celebrating Halloween  (Read 23569 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Celebrating Halloween
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2020, 08:27:24 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 08:29:35 pm »

I made the goal of 31 movies for 31 days of October.

01.  Friday the 13th  (1980)
02.  Friday the 13th Part II
03.  Friday the 13th Part III
04.  Friday the 13th Part IV (The Final Chapter)
05.  Friday the 13th Part V (A New Begining)
06.  Friday the 13th Part VI  (Jason Lives)
07.  Amityville Horror (1979)
08.  The Conjuring
09.  Insidious
10.  The Exorcist
11.  The Shining
12.  The Crazies (2010)
13.  Trick R Treat
14.  Ghost Ship
15.  13 Ghosts
16.  House on Haunted Hill
17.  The Changeling
18.  Pumpkinhead
19.  Nightmare on Elm Street
20.  Oculus
21.  Final Destination
22.  Final Destination 2
23.  Final Destination 3
24.  Annabelle
25.  Night of the Living Dead (1990)
26.  Dawn of the Dead (1978)
27.  Pet Semetary (1989)
28.  Wrong Turn
29.  Wrong Turn:  Dead End
30.  The Night Before Halloween
31.  Insidious:  Chapter 2
32.  Ouija
33.  Insidious:  The Last Key
34.  Blair Witch Project
35.  The Nun

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 02:44:24 pm »
Just saw your October list. No Halloween?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2020, 10:47:53 pm »
I can't believe I left that off the list.  :laugh:

I watched it like three times!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2020, 01:05:12 pm »
I can't believe I left that off the list.  :laugh:

I watched it like three times!

That one is my favorite. When I first saw it, I thought it was really novel that he put together all the scary-story tropes and both satirized and celebrated them -- and it was still scary!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2021, 08:51:12 am »
It's October! Probably my favorite month is here.

How I used to eagerly anticipate Halloween. I guess those days are gone.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2021, 12:03:26 pm »
It's October! Probably my favorite month is here.

How I used to eagerly anticipate Halloween. I guess those days are gone.  :(

Those days ended for me at least 10 years ago because I got sick of the ordeal of finding costumes for my kids and then cleaning up the bathroom splattered with (fake) blood. Toward the end of their trick-or-treating years they didn't dress up as any particular thing, like Frankenstein or Darth Vader, they just plastered themselves with fake wounds and blood and things like that.

One year when my older son was in 4th or 5th grade he picked out a bullet wound. I suggested he paste it to the middle of his forehead and dress as Abraham Lincoln. He pointed out(correctly, of course) that would be in poor taste.

For a few years, though, we decorated the yard with little ghosts the boys made of Styrofoam balls and pieces of white sheet, that spider web stuff they sell at drug stores and scarecrows made of old clothes stuffed with leaves, wearing masks. That part was fun.

Even after my sons aged out of Halloween, I got sick of never knowing how much candy to get, jumping up and down all night on the busy years and having a bunch of leftover candy on the quiet years. I also ate way too much chocolate, so I started getting things like Starbursts that I don't like.

Now that I'm living in an apartment with few kids, I expect Halloween will be pretty much like any other night. I should probably get at least a little candy, though, so as not to wind up in the position I was in one year in NYC, when the one child in our entire high-rise student housing apartment knocked at the door. I briefly panicked about what to give her (olives? a spoonful of peanut butter?) but found the perfect thing: refrigerator magnets shaped like colorful tropical fish. Happy ending!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2021, 01:27:44 pm »
My dad just puts out the lights, closes the blinds, and sits in the back of the house on Halloween. There's a TV in the kitchen, so that's no big deal.

I hope I never age out of Halloween.

With at least six gay bars in my neighborhood, Halloween used to be an amazing night. Some costumes were just unbelievable. Also, for decades, a local (gay) jeweler always sponsored an enormous Halloween party; it was held in the ballroom of a local hotel. I went once, and it was amazing.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2021, 04:24:30 pm »
My dad just puts out the lights, closes the blinds, and sits in the back of the house on Halloween. There's a TV in the kitchen, so that's no big deal.

I've considered that but it seems like cheating, somehow. :laugh: (No criticism of your dad!)

I hope I never age out of Halloween.

Oh, I misspoke. I should have said they aged out of trick-or-treating. They still probably do some parties and things. We still have the McDonald's french fries costume my younger son wore when he was about three. It went below his knees. We still occasionally wear it, although now it fits like a dickey.

With at least six gay bars in my neighborhood, Halloween used to be an amazing night. Some costumes were just unbelievable. Also, for decades, a local (gay) jeweler always sponsored an enormous Halloween party; it was held in the ballroom of a local hotel. I went once, and it was amazing.[/font][/size]

I wonder why gay guys (and maybe lesbians?) get so much more into Halloween. I worked with a guy who went to a party with his husband-to-be wearing elaborate costumes, perfect to the littlest detail, of major characters in the obscure Disney movie The Emperor's New Groove.

Is the more enthusiastic participation related to other costuming opportunities in gay culture, like Pride events and drag shows, do you think?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2021, 10:31:22 pm »
Well, it's October 1st, and I've decorated my windows for Halloween, putting up my flag and lights.

And tonight, the AMC Network aired Halloween and Halloween II back -to-back, so I've started the month off right!