Author Topic: Minute Detail - IMO The Worst Line Delivery in the Movie  (Read 12183 times)

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
Minute Detail - IMO The Worst Line Delivery in the Movie
« on: April 05, 2006, 03:40:40 am »
Okay, so I know we all love to talk about our favourite things about the movie, but lets talk about what we think is the worst line.  For me, there are two and they aren't the lines themselves but the delivery of them that I hate.  However, one has been discussed multiple times and now makes me laugh so hard when I see it that I almost love it at this point.  Of course I am referring to Bobby Soprano (sorry, Twist) and his "I'm gonna be eatin' this food for da next two weeks!".  (Bada bing!)

However, there is one that I really don't like and luckily it's not Jack or Ennis.  It's Aguirre when he comes to tell Jack about his Uncle Harold in the hospital.  He says "Your Ma asked me to come and let you know, so here I am".  When he says "so here I am" and looks off into the distance it seems so over the top that it's almost like he's in a play rather than a movie.  Maybe it's just me, but I cringe every time I see that scene.

And Paul and Mandy - what the hell are you guys still awake for?  I guess I'mI not the only insomniac in this group? :)

Okay, Paul and Mandy were both here a minute ago - guess they both decided to go to sleep!
   Cowboys do it better

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
Re: Minute Detail - IMO The Worst Line Delivery in the Movie
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 03:42:13 am »
LOL,  I'm going already, I'm going....

and I LIKE the way Quaid delivers that line!

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 05:17:01 am »
Let me get my hard hat out before I share this:  I really did not like the way Linda Cardellini as Cassie delivers the line...Ennis, girls don't fall in love with fun!...just a little to OTT for me, I felt a quieter more intense deliver would have been more effective. ::) JMO

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 05:47:59 am »
Ennis, girls don't fall in love with fun!...
I agree with you on that one Victoria! But then, I don't like the Cassie-character anyway..

I like Bobby when he says his line, maybe more the accent/dialect, than the intonation, but I like it.

It's not this thread's discussion, but I like Alma Jr's lines (when she's 16+ years old) and the Basque (food delivery guy).

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 09:06:30 am »
Great idea for a thread!

Maybe after I actually sit down and watch the DVD I'll have something to contribute. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 09:10:34 am »
i hate the line where alma jr says "will you go to the church picnic with us this weekend?  please?  daaaaaddyyyyyyyy"

i don't know why, it makes me cringe though.  it seems dubbed and out of place.
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 09:17:32 am »
The one line that I don't think worked well is "F*ck you" by one of those biker guys...just the way he says it I dunno..

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 09:28:03 am »
Let me get my hard hat out before I share this:  I really did not like the way Linda Cardellini as Cassie delivers the line...Ennis, girls don't fall in love with fun!...just a little to OTT for me, I felt a quieter more intense deliver would have been more effective. ::) JMO

Yeah, I can see where that's a little over the top.  Never thought of it that way, but it's true.  I actually thought she did a very good job in the scene with Kate Mara - you know, the "you don't say much, but you do get your point across" one.  The way she said, "Not ready to settle down, or I'm just not the right one for him?" or something to that effect is very believable - like she knows she may not like the answer she's going to hear.  And then when Alma, Jr., says "You're good enough, I guess" (and by the way, that's when I KNEW that Jr. knows all about her Dad and Jack), she completely misunderstands her meaning, of course, and takes it as a compliment - you can see the relief when she delivers the next line.  Very well-done.  The more I think of it, it wasn't that Linda/Cassie wasn't capable of subtlety - I think she was always OTT with Ennis - it seemed as if she practically barked at him all the time - because she felt that was the only way to get through to him.  You know, like, "If he won't talk to me, at least I'll MAKE him listen."

And I have to say I kind of liked the way Randy Quaid delivered that line.  To me, he was being OTT as part of the character, if that makes any sense.  It was as if Aguirre was thinking, "Here *I* am (and I've seen everything)" - you know, being melodramatic on purpose.

The only line reading that rings false to me in the whole thing, really, is Bobby's.  It's not horrible, but he's no Haley Joel Osment.  Ya nodamean, Vern?
No more beans!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 10:29:32 am »
I find the whole Uncle Harold scene unnerving (of course, because we're feeling Jack's discomfort) -- but I think the staginess of it is appropriate: the text is about Uncle Harold; the subtext is "Tell you what, I seen you fellas stemmin the rose."  So it makes sense that the dialogue feels awkward and false.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 10:48:12 am »
Of course I am referring to Bobby Soprano (sorry, Twist) and his "I'm gonna be eatin' this food for da next two weeks!".  (Bada bing!)

ROFLMFAO!! Oh man, thank you for my first laugh of the morning!!

As for the Cassie line, Vic I completley agree.  That line always bugged me.  It is way too overdramatic.  It is only saved by that amazing look on Ennis's face after she runs out the door.  That look is heartbreaking and one of my favorite Heath moments.  He saved that scene for me.  To tell you the truth, while it's mostly the delivery of that line I don't like, I could also just do without that line in the film  ::) I think it's unbelievable and is really the only time I felt the scriptwriters weren't spot on.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73