Author Topic: Minute Detail - IMO The Worst Line Delivery in the Movie  (Read 12187 times)

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
Re: Minute Detail - IMO The Worst Line Delivery in the Movie
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 02:57:22 pm »
LOL!!! Oh my god, David "Indiana" S. - you're so asking for trouble.  StudDuck is gonna go Ennis on your ass!  (Lol, and let me clarify that - I'm talking fireworks scene Ennis, not first tent scene Ennis).   ;D
   Cowboys do it better

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 02:59:55 pm »
Oh Nicole!     How great, dirty minds think alike!    Ha ha ha!

;)

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 03:02:44 pm »
Who me?  A dirty mind?  I don't know what you're referring to... :angel:

Nobody's ever accused me of having a "clean" mind, lol.
   Cowboys do it better

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 07:39:02 pm »
Worst line?  Yep, little Bobby's mealy mouthed line.

2nd worst IMO?  Jack's "Where the hell you been?  Up with the sheep all day, I get down here, hungry as hell and all I find is beans..."

Sounded forced, awkward, didn't flow very well.

Offline RingerFanatic

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Biker Dudes Are the Worse
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 07:44:48 pm »
The biker dudes are the worse actors for me. It was so over-the-top...and then when Ennis kicks ass the one guys cowers away and says "I'd rather not" or something like that. It just didn't seem right. I don't know.

And yes, Jack's son was also a weird little fella with bad delivery. They could have found a cuter kid with a more natural delivery. The funny thing is, he really did look like the spitting image of the asshole Stud Duck! lol

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 07:51:56 pm »
>> I don't like when he says he's dropping the girls off at the grocery store and suddenly briefly sounds Australian.

>> And yes, Jack's son was also a weird little fella with bad delivery.

>> Jack's "Where the hell you been?  Up with the sheep all day, I get down here, hungry as hell and all I find is beans..."

>> And the Texans don't drink coffee thing.

i agree with the weaknesses I've cut and pasted right above here.  But I really like all those other lines.  I like the bikers and how they say it (well, not like them like I want to go hump frogs with them).  I like Randy Quaid's little ironic over-the-top-ness (which I think he/Ang chose to keep him from seeming like an evil threat, more like an unknown, unpredictable quantity).  I like Cassie's brokenhearted, hurt delivery. 

Here's where I think I'll need more than a hard hat, because I know this is sacrosanct with some people - I thought Anne Hathaway on the phone didn't really pull off all her lines.  I know a lot of people think she was spot on with the "tire rim" speech, but I thought it looked like something out of a high school play. 

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2006, 07:55:26 pm »
Nicole - I agree, I was not a fan of Bobby's line there.

And about last night (this morning), haha, yeah I was up late. I'm always up late. I don't have early morning classes, they're all in the afternoon, so usually I'm up til 4 or 5 am, I'm a night person  ;D

Offline Überlibran

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 08:28:25 pm »
I fifteenth (I gave up counting how many agree) the notion of lil' Bobby Soprano's line being delivered awkwardly. And also, Jake's whooping (the WOOWEE! when Ennis shoots the elk) makes me cringe every time I hear it. *ducks from the Gyllenhaalics*
One must talk, talk, talk - it is only by talking that we shall caper upon the summit; otherwise the mountains will overshadow us.

http://users.livejournal.com/_sepia

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 12:02:48 am »
To admit that anything coming out of Heath Ledger's mouth is less than perfect will no doubt make me lose sleep BUT the fight scene between Ennis and Alma when the girls are swinging just makes the little hairs on my arms poke up. I'm leaving lots of room for being wrong.

Heathen

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2006, 01:08:19 am »
(re Randy Quaid) >>which I think he/Ang chose to keep him from seeming like an evil threat, more like an unknown, unpredictable quantity

Well put, Ellemeno. In fact, this is a bit OT but I like that none of the people who seem somewhat threatening ever actually do much real harm: Aguirre, Jimbo, John Twist (well, except for hoarding the ashes), Alma (threatening because of her knowledge). The only exception is, of course, Ennis' dad. I like this approach because, the dad aside, there are no villains. But also because it keeps the conflict on Ennis' internal struggle rather than on some genuine external danger. It's more interesting and complex.

OK, sorry. Back to bad deliveries. Ummm ... can't think of any others. I know what you mean, Ellemeno, about Lureen's phone conversation -- it seems a bit stilted when she's describing the accident. But I like it anyway, maybe because the stiltedness adds to the mystery (is she lying, or what?). Even better I like the sad little squeaks she makes as she puts two and two together. Especially after Ennis discloses that they were on Brokeback together in 1963 -- long before she met Jack! Squeak.