Author Topic: The "I LOVE everything Jack" thread  (Read 41046 times)

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
Re: The "I LOVE everything Jack" thread
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2006, 08:50:36 pm »
I love the very characteristic way Jack makes his entrance into the film. As the train disappears into the distance, we see Jack's truck driving towards us, backfiring, the engine obviously in need of a tune-up. It lumbers into its parking place, backskids and then stalls. Jack gets out angrily, kicks the tyre and mutters 'S**t', before turning to notice Ennis standing there.

Even before we see Jack, we get the impression that he's the one who will be generating the humour in the film.
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2006, 11:49:54 pm »
Welcome to BetterMost richardg49!  Want a cup of coffee?  And a piece of cherry cake?

Great detail.  The tire on Jack's truck is one of my all-time favorite details in the movie.

OK, here's mine for tonight.  I love that Jack is such a comfortable dancer.  He makes it look effortless with LaShawn especially.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2006, 12:01:59 am »
I think the subject line says it for me: I LOVE EVERYTHING JACK - do I have to pick just one? I love-love-love how he looks in the flashback scene. His face is so soft & beautiful. I also love how he may get discouraged but never gives up. Jake said about Jack, "He tries really hard."

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2006, 11:58:34 am »
Jack is the Dreamer and true Idealist, the balance to Ennis, the down-to-earth Realist.  How could anyone not love him?!  They were perfect for each other-- if only the times and circumstances had been better for them, but they were not.   

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2006, 05:16:32 pm »
i love the scene where Jack in a bubbly way is describing how they can get their little cow&calf operation--"her dad would give me the down payment just to get lost, he as much as said it!" He's happy and thrilled while he's talking about how others put him down and humiliate him, but he doesn't let it get to him, not one bit!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2006, 12:52:33 pm »
I'll bet if they had their little cow&calf operation, it would have eased Ennis's longing for his little girls, having a huge number of female bovines to take care of!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2006, 11:49:12 am »
I love Jack's eyelashes when he blinks several times the second night in the tent as he takes Ennis' hat away right before he kisses him so tender but with a hunger... During the renion kiss, I love Jack's eyelashes and the look of a love struck boy when Ennis pulls apart from him and begins to walk away.  Jack stands there just kinda awe struck at what just happened his eyelashes long ...and sadly i love Jack's eyelashes when he's crying in his truck after being turned away from Ennis after his divorce came through...the song A Love That Will Never Grow Old his playing on the radio...

moremojo

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2006, 04:58:28 pm »
I'll bet if they had their little cow&calf operation, it would have eased Ennis's longing for his little girls, having a huge number of female bovines to take care of!!
I've been thinking on this observation, or musing of yours, Lee, and it intrigues me in how it suggests that part of Ennis longed for the feminine, and not necessarily in a sexual way. Jungian psychology articulates how we all have masculine and feminine aspects to our personae, and a well-balanced person has both complementary aspects integrated within themselves. Ennis, a very masculine character, was drawn to Jack, who to my mind exhibits both the feminine and masculine within himself. During the course of the story, Ennis learns bit by bit from Jack's example, and becomes more expressive and nurturing as a result. And, as his daughters are, apart from Jack, the great loves of Ennis's life, a strong feminine presence will remain in Ennis's ken for the remainder of his existence. What might be lost is the fulfillment of the masculine yearning exemplified by Jack.

Just thinking out loud...

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2006, 01:11:08 am »
I love the way Jack leans his face against Ennis' hand in the "dozy embrace" scene.  They look so peaceful together and Jack is savoring every minute of it.

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2006, 09:14:42 am »

Great detail.  The tire on Jack's truck is one of my all-time favorite details in the movie.

That always reminds me of a bull pawing the ground and snorting - especially as we know Jack's longing to be a major rodeo star.

Karen